Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Premier 40,000 grain water softener

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 4:20 pm
Tags:
Banned
Oct 24, 2006
56 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
Look at getting a softer and was looking at this one, but need some help with planning.

I'm on septic.

There is a debate that you shouldn't have the softer send its waste into the septic tank, I am leaning towards this being correct, on the other side of debate, is that this should not be an issue.

Is anyone here on Septic and currently has a water softer? how is your hooked up?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1740 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto
Any recommendations for a installer in Toronto/Markham?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
denyed wrote: Checked St. James and Regent locations in Winnipeg and they did not have it. When talking with the St. James location, they said Regent has some in stock but Regent said no... weird. Can anyone confirm this in Winnipeg?
St. James used to carry them but they haven't for at least a year now. I suspect sales had slowed down and they wanted the space for something better.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
Talula wrote: If anyone has done the research, I'd love to hear what you've come up with. I've been trying to educate myself on this, and I just have a hard time believing that I wouldn't do just as well with a unit like the Costco one above. It's just hard to get expert advice that isn't biased.
What research? Water softening isn't rocket science. It's a very, very simple process and once you understand that process you will also understand why a water softener should not cost very much. All water softeners operate the same way and do exactly the same thing. Size, capacity, quality of the timer and controls etc can make a bit of a difference but it's not huge. What can make a huge difference in prices is the profit margin.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2012
1874 posts
1666 upvotes
Lake Simcoe
Keyser-_-Soze wrote: Look at getting a softer and was looking at this one, but need some help with planning.

I'm on septic.

There is a debate that you shouldn't have the softer send its waste into the septic tank, I am leaning towards this being correct, on the other side of debate, is that this should not be an issue.

Is anyone here on Septic and currently has a water softer? how is your hooked up?

Thanks!
I use an iron filter, and my back flush goes into my sump and gets pumped out into a gravel bed.(not septic)
I would imagine the softener should operate in the same manner.
Can't see anyone knowingly flushing it into their septic.....
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6354 posts
1013 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just updating. This water softener is now $399 at Costco.
--
I like detailing cars!
Banned
Apr 15, 2006
4572 posts
126 upvotes
Chatham
Question about the water filtration system since someone here has bought one from Costco:

Why is it the 5 stage one is cheaper than the 4 stage one? :
http://www.costco.ca/Premier-5-stage-Re ... 44948.html
http://www.costco.ca/Premier-4-stage-Re ... 19005.html

Which one is the recommended one?

I plan to have both softener and filtration install by a plumber hence i kinda need to know by this weekend.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2596 posts
1987 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
denyed wrote: Has there been any sightings of this water softener in Alberta?
I've seen water softeners at nw calgary costco in times past. No idea if they still have any.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2003
5265 posts
1623 upvotes
SK
Drthorne wrote: $100 for parts? Its Just some copper pipe and fittings, maybe some 1/2" plastic drain hose.
I had a local softener installer make the two adapters for $80 including soldiering and installation. He went to a plumbing shop for all the parts and he charged $50 for buying and assembling them, $30 for install.
Drain hose comes with the softener.
shopper-X
Jul 9, 2009
760 posts
223 upvotes
The 5 stage one uses a super cheap faucet. The 5 stage one has a fifth stage ( obviously). But that stage is just a mineral bar that puts a few things back in the water for taste and smell . The 5 stage one filters water faster though so that may be something to consider if you have a big family or drink tonnes of water.
Dec 19, 2009
265 posts
208 upvotes
Calgary
caltran wrote: I've seen water softeners at nw calgary costco in times past. No idea if they still have any.
I saw them at the beacon hill location just the other day
Jul 9, 2009
760 posts
223 upvotes
I'd stop renting from culligan immediatley . Your spending 600 a year for exaxtly the same result as this unit would provide. You just don't get the piece of mind of service. In cost comparison you can put a new one in every year and even paying someone to install it you would be even. In a city Softeners just need salt. That's it. You can buy a little water hardness test kit to check once in a while to see if its working if it makes you feel better. You can always go back to culligan after 1 year if you don't like it and you won't be any poorer for it.
Dec 19, 2009
265 posts
208 upvotes
Calgary
I don't know why anyone would rent the water softeners. I got one installed by culligan over 8 years ago and paid about $2,000 after taxes and install. No problems yet and free maintenance from them every year.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2004
1107 posts
225 upvotes
Kanata
Some good advice, people, exactly what I'd expect from my fellow RFDers. I'll go ahead and throw my wife under the bus and say that the rental wasn't my idea. :)
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2596 posts
1987 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
aznlgcy wrote: I saw them at the beacon hill location just the other day
I haven't made it to costco in a few weeks now so I didn't want to sound authoritative :)
Dec 19, 2009
265 posts
208 upvotes
Calgary
caltran wrote: I haven't made it to costco in a few weeks now so I didn't want to sound authoritative :)
No problem. Jut wanted to confirm. I drove up to the location this evening however it is listed at $429.99
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
9291 posts
2352 upvotes
Mont-Royal
Anyone can recommend a filter device for distilled water for car wash?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Dec 28, 2004
315 posts
58 upvotes
Where are you seeing the price is $399? It is not online. What location are you referring to that carries water softener? I tried calling across the GTA and said only available online. Online, there is the 29000 grain for 489.99 and the 40000 for 599.99.

Unless you bought an open box from a local location, I am not sure where I can pick up a new one for $399.

m4gician wrote: Just updating. This water softener is now $399 at Costco.
May 9, 2006
401 posts
71 upvotes
Winnipeg
aznlgcy wrote: No problem. Jut wanted to confirm. I drove up to the location this evening however it is listed at $429.99
Were there a lot of units in stock? I'm going to have to get my parents-in-law to drag one down to Manitoba for me. The price is just too good, especially coming from Alberta.
May 9, 2006
401 posts
71 upvotes
Winnipeg
m4gician wrote: Just updating. This water softener is now $399 at Costco.
In Vaughan?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)