Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 21, 2011
41 posts
4 upvotes
Surrey, BC

Costco Price Drop & Return

Hello everyone, I have a question about Costco and their returning policy.

I bought a digital piano online through my dad (because he has Costco membership) in mid October for $599. Now that the price of the piano has dropped to $449(November 21st to December 4th), is there a way for me to get the discount as well?

Here's the link to the digital piano (Casio PX-130)
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... 6*&topnav=

The question is, when the piano arrived, there was no receipt or anything like that in or on the box. All I have are the manufacturer's warranty (included with the manual, does not have dealer stamp or anything) and a packing slip that was attached on the box. How do I prove that I (or my dad) bought this piano?

The other question is that, how is the whole returning/whatever going to work? I want to keep the piano, I just want the $150 refund. What do I need to do?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2770 posts
425 upvotes
You would have been sent a e-receipt online by email - just print that out.
The problem is that the online prices are usually higher (primarily because they include shipping costs) than the in-store so if you're talking about a price drop in-store then it's hard to compare. If you're talking about the price online then I guess it should be easier (although I've never done a price adjustment for an item that I bought online). I think in-store they now limit price adjustments to 1 month from purchase but I think it depends on the clerk's leniency.
WorkSafeBC wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2011 5:19 am
Hello everyone, I have a question about Costco and their returning policy.

I bought a digital piano online through my dad (because he has Costco membership) in mid October for $599. Now that the price of the piano has dropped to $449(November 21st to December 4th), is there a way for me to get the discount as well?

Here's the link to the digital piano (Casio PX-130)
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... 6*&topnav=

The question is, when the piano arrived, there was no receipt or anything like that in or on the box. All I have are the manufacturer's warranty (included with the manual, does not have dealer stamp or anything) and a packing slip that was attached on the box. How do I prove that I (or my dad) bought this piano?

The other question is that, how is the whole returning/whatever going to work? I want to keep the piano, I just want the $150 refund. What do I need to do?
Dec 23, 2006
698 posts
135 upvotes
Montreal
If you log in to Costco.ca under your father's account, you should be able to find your "reciept" and print it up. Best to compare online prices with online sale. Costco retunr policy is 30 days for "everything" or 90 days for eletronics (mostly TVs and Computers). Not sure where your piano fits in. I've heard of people being denied the price adjustment and having to return the item (assuming withing the return period) and repurchase to save money. Sometimes if you just explain (threathen...!) that you will do this, they will refund your money. Try calling CS first and dealing over the phone.

Good luck.
Oct 7, 2007
6197 posts
904 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Not sure if online is any different, but in-store you can easily just go in and ask for a price adjustment. Since you can return online goods in-store than I would think this also applies. If you can't go to a store ask over email or phone.

The 30 days return is really just "recommended" and not enforced, so you shouldn't have any problems adjusting the price. If not then just re-buy and return. $150 I think it's enough to go through the hassle.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8825 posts
2244 upvotes
London
Be sure to let us know how this worked out for you, I'm curious what they will do.
[OP]
Oct 21, 2011
41 posts
4 upvotes
Surrey, BC
Thanks a lot guys, I'll print out the receipt and see what Costco will do.

The piano isn't available in store (at least the ones in my area), and the discount applies to online purchase.

If I don't have to, I don't want to return the piano and repurchase a new one to get the discount, because that means I have to disassemble the current piano, put the parts back into the boxes, and reassemble the new one when it arrives.

Once again thanks for all the advice.
[OP]
Oct 21, 2011
41 posts
4 upvotes
Surrey, BC
After phoning Costco and telling them that I could simply buy a new one and return it with the old receipt, they still refuse to refund the price difference.

I bought a new one later that day (online).
Nov 8, 2011
57 posts
Aren't keyboards considered electronics? you would only have 30 days to get a refund?
[OP]
Oct 21, 2011
41 posts
4 upvotes
Surrey, BC
jamesmd wrote:
Nov 28th, 2011 10:34 pm
Aren't keyboards considered electronics? you would only have 30 days to get a refund?
Well then I can always return the new one I ordered.