Shopping Discussion

costco return policy....

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2009 1:15 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 12, 2003
2850 posts
55 upvotes
Markham

costco return policy....

i did a search but could not find a concrete answer.

I want to return a western digital passport harddrive, 320gig. It is giving me errors at odd times with my computer (very old).

On the website, it lists items that are under 90 day return policy but does not list "computer accessories" only "computers"
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8251 posts
1195 upvotes
"We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD/MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund."

You may have a case but I think they'll argue it under computers. YMMV.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7789 posts
201 upvotes
Frankie3s wrote:
Jan 13th, 2009 10:11 pm
"We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD/MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund."

You may have a case but I think they'll argue it under computers. YMMV.
i don't think they'll argue..it's a defective product...it's not like you're returning it every 3 months...
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1258 posts
380 upvotes
They'll take it back. I brought back a non working WD HD that I had for 8 months without the box or receipt and they gave me a gift card for the full amount.

I don't think the HD is considered to be under computers.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2003
1838 posts
158 upvotes
Vancouver
Frankie3s wrote:
Jan 13th, 2009 10:11 pm
You may have a case but I think they'll argue it under computers. YMMV.
It won't be argued because the 'computer' category only means computer systems. Any accessory (with the exception of cameras & MP3/Ipods)that plugs into computers does not fall under the 90-day return policy.

GYR8
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
19048 posts
1505 upvotes
Er, this theread is moot because the point of the 90 day return policy is you can't just return a WORKING item after 90 days. If the hard drive is indeed broken as you say then it is covered under the 2 year Costco warranty.

As in call the concierge ( Costco Concierge Services at 1-866-231-9731 ) - they will probably just authorize you to return it to the store for immediate return.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Jr. Member
Feb 22, 2004
113 posts
2 upvotes
I just recently returned a Wii system that was almost a year old because it would no longer read any discs.
I wasn't looking for a refund, but because they did not have any Wii's in the store, that's what I got. No problems whatsoever.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2003
1838 posts
158 upvotes
Vancouver
brunes wrote:
Jan 14th, 2009 6:46 am
Er, this theread is moot because the point of the 90 day return policy is you can't just return a WORKING item after 90 days. If the hard drive is indeed broken as you say then it is covered under the 2 year Costco warranty.

As in call the concierge ( Costco Concierge Services at 1-866-231-9731 ) - they will probably just authorize you to return it to the store for immediate return.
Sorry Brunes, but everything you mentioned in your post is incorrect. The concierge does not provide technical support for items outside of the specific categories mentioned in the terms listed within the documentation provided at the store level and on the website, located here

Again, the 90-Day return policy does *not* apply to the hard drive.

GYR8
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2127 posts
331 upvotes
Canada
I returned an External Drive I had for close to a year that crapped out, think it was a My Book? Anyways no box or anything. I did have the receipt, they did not bat an eye
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
19048 posts
1505 upvotes
GYR8 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2009 5:39 pm
Sorry Brunes, but everything you mentioned in your post is incorrect. The concierge does not provide technical support for items outside of the specific categories mentioned in the terms listed within the documentation provided at the store level and on the website, located here

Again, the 90-Day return policy does *not* apply to the hard drive.

GYR8
My point is that it doesn't matter which category the item is under, if it is broken, it will be exchanged.

The only reason the electronic concierge/warranty policy exists and differentiates is for returns of working items after 90 days.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
May 19, 2004
1732 posts
260 upvotes
Edmonton
u can return anything at costco at anytime for full refund with receipt
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 18, 2008
949 posts
24 upvotes
^^^ no

there are exceptions

computers and TV's and some stuff has a 90 day retrun policy
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 23, 2006
1731 posts
105 upvotes
5abi wrote:
Jan 28th, 2009 11:40 pm
u can return anything at costco at anytime for full refund with receipt
This is their official line but I know a guy who tried to return a Compact Flash card he bought 7 years ago, with receipt, and he said they wouldn't take it back. It may just be that the clerk didn't like the idea of giving the guy $100 for a 128 Meg card - bottom line they wouldn't do it.

Top