Tags:
None
Mar 27, 2007
177 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

Costco return policy on prescriptions?

Hi,

I'm just wondering if I can return prescribed drugs bought from Costco.
My sister accidentally bought a prescribed drug of mine that I didn't need to buy anymore. Has anyone done this? It's never been 'opened'.

Thanks.
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
6822 posts
1255 upvotes
In BC, pharmacies are legally not permitted to "refund" any prescription medications once it has left the counter. Not sure if it's the same in ON, but I would expect it to be similar.
Apr 21, 2009
308 posts
8 upvotes
No you can't return a prescription in Ontario. The can't just empty the pills back into their bulk container because they don't know if the prescription has been tampered with or not. A person could easily remove the receipt with a staple remover, laced the drugs with something and then re-staple the receipt and return it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9467 posts
2643 upvotes
Is there anything people won't return? A customer service rep at Costco should write a book about their experiences working there. I'd buy it, read it and then return it promptly afterwards. :razz:
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Mar 27, 2007
177 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Oh well, I figured it's not possible.
I guess I learned my lesson. (so did my sister) :o
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6904 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
I think you shouldn
Mar 27, 2007
177 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
[quote="setell" post_id="8841229" time="1243966918" user_id="29951"]I think you shouldn
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6904 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
malmsteen wrote: Yeah. I said I sort of knew. I just wanted to double check.
Didn't need that from you.
Honestly to me common sense tells me I can
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12603 posts
2308 upvotes
[quote="setell" post_id="8847027" time="1244047174" user_id="29951"]Honestly to me common sense tells me I can
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6904 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
slowtyper wrote: I'm sure that flurry of anger felt good but you are wrong. Some costco's will accept returns on prescription drugs.

Even on costco's web page: "If you need to return or exchange a prescription item, please call 1-800-607-6861 and ask to speak with a pharmacist."

Your assumption that they would re-sell the prescription drugs are amusing.
They may accept it but it gets trashed. Trust me I know it gets trashed as it is extremely dangerous to re-sell prescription drugs. If they don
Feb 23, 2004
915 posts
171 upvotes
Frankie3s wrote: Is there anything people won't return? A customer service rep at Costco should write a book about their experiences working there. I'd buy it, read it and then return it promptly afterwards. :razz:
Someone bought a cake once, ate the entire thing except one slice and returned it successfully.
Mar 27, 2007
177 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
[quote="setell" post_id="8847027" time="1244047174" user_id="29951"]Honestly to me common sense tells me I can
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12603 posts
2308 upvotes
[quote="setell" post_id="8847859" time="1244053699" user_id="29951"]They may accept it but it gets trashed. Trust me I know it gets trashed as it is extremely dangerous to re-sell prescription drugs. If they don
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6904 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
malmsteen wrote: No matter what you say, I have the freedom to ask what I want here, and people do give me helpful answers. Whatever you think is common sense might be a question for other people. You might be smart and I might not be(to your standard only), so be it. If you want, you can raise this to the mod and ask him/her to delete this entire post if you think it's pure stupidity and against the rules, and see if everyone else think that.

I hate to abuse return policies, but I occassionally do return products because I need to, and that's what return policies are for. If I can't, too bad I just let it go. In this case, I thought they would just trash my drugs instead of reselling it.To me, reselling does not make sense but trashing does.

You can go ahead and comment such things on every single thread you think is out of common sense. This is my first time getting one, and it doesn't feel very good, and I don't think it's very healthy for this forum. You're dealing with thousands of 'different' people here. Not everyone thinks like you.
So basically what you
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12603 posts
2308 upvotes
[quote="setell" post_id="8848259" time="1244057200" user_id="29951"]In your case, I said it is very evident that prescription drugs are one of those items you can
Mar 27, 2007
177 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
[quote="setell" post_id="8848259" time="1244057200" user_id="29951"]So basically what you
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9467 posts
2643 upvotes
malmsteen wrote: You can make whatever comments you want, and although I'm not happy about it I'm not upset either. There's always an oddball and I know I have to cope with those in order to move on.
Apparently though, your 'logical' thinking is not always logical and your 'common sense' is not always so common because some places actually do take returns on prescription drugs according to others here.
Now it's time for you to call all pharmacists who take returns and tell them how unlogical they are, not me.
If you do return it let us know how it goes for curiosity's sake.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Jan 5, 2016
1 posts
Orillia
I think you should be able to return prescription drugs in some circumstances. Like when they don't do what they are intended to do. I have just started a new prescription and it does not do what it is supposed to do AND causes me to have a horrible headache and feel like a zombie.
I don't care what the pharmacy has to do with the pills, obviously they can't sell them, but I feel like the pharmaceutical company should refund the money for a product they sold that didn't work.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
malmsteen wrote: Hi,

I'm just wondering if I can return prescribed drugs bought from Costco.
My sister accidentally bought a prescribed drug of mine that I didn't need to buy anymore. Has anyone done this? It's never been 'opened'.

Thanks.
Yeah right. Some nutbar returns a pill bottle that they replaced with something that could harm someone and Costco is going to take it back? That's a bit hard to swallow (pun intended!). Even if it was not illegal Costco would have to be prepared to take a loss on every prescription returned as they would have to throw out the pills and some pills sure are not cheap. They aren't in business to lose money on a sale. For normal products the supplier to Costco usually takes the hit under their supplier contract, not Costco, and at least most products can be refurbished and sold as such so the supplier's hit is minimized.

The ridiculous and unreasonable questions people ask on here never cease to amaze me!
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1604 posts
691 upvotes
Calgary
setell wrote: So basically what you�re implying is that it�s ok for the drugstore to take a loss so you can get your money back if it�s possible? You want to return it and get a full refund but want the drug store to trash it vs re-sell it too. If you think about it then it�s not logical. If everybody did that dispensing fees will be sky high and it�s already fairly high at a lot of places. Prescription drugs are not the same as buying say a tv or a lot of other products. Futureshop can sell open box, refurbished, send them back to manufacturer etc. where drug store�s can�t. It goes straight to the trash and they have to pay to have it trashed properly too!

I actually don�t comment on a lot of threads other then ones where I either feel like I will contribute something constructive or I just need to point out something. In your case, I said it is very evident that prescription drugs are one of those items you can�t return. If you�re unhappy with my comment then you can think about how other people that didn�t comment think of your question as well. If you don�t like my reply�s then feel free to ignore me as I am so ok with that as well. As you said there are thousands of different people here and I�m sure there are people here that think like me as well as those that think like you. I am entitled to my comments and you are entitle to either read it and move on or get upset over it.
A company refunding a purchase, even at the companies expense, can help to create loyalty for the long term.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)