• Jan 8th, 2016 2:59 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2892 posts
2228 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
steadle wrote: I think you should be able to return prescription drugs in some circumstances. Like when they don't do what they are intended to do. I have just started a new prescription and it does not do what it is supposed to do AND causes me to have a horrible headache and feel like a zombie.
I don't care what the pharmacy has to do with the pills, obviously they can't sell them, but I feel like the pharmaceutical company should refund the money for a product they sold that didn't work.
You are barking up the wrong tree on the above. Take this up with your physician as the pharmacist has extremely limited knowledge of your medical issues/background. However, a good pharmacist with the knowledge of your previous medications can and will intervene if they feel a certain prescription may interact adversely with other prescribed medications.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20123 posts
2949 upvotes
slowtyper wrote: I'm sure that flurry of anger felt good but you are wrong. Some costco's will accept returns on prescription drugs.

Even on costco's web page: "If you need to return or exchange a prescription item, please call 1-800-607-6861 and ask to speak with a pharmacist."

Your assumption that they would re-sell the prescription drugs are amusing.
Nothing that gets returned to Costco is re-sold so it's kind of a moot point. Everything is sent back to manufacturer or to a liquidator, even if it is unopened and sealed in the box. They don't make any assumptions. They almost have to do it this way anyways since the stock they carry in the store changes week by week - an item sold today may not even be sold on the floor 10 days from now when you return it.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28910 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Arrow wrote: In BC, pharmacies are legally not permitted to "refund" any prescription medications once it has left the counter. Not sure if it's the same in ON, but I would expect it to be similar.
That makes perfect sense for loose medications like pills counted out of a large container. There's no way to determine if they've been contaminated or tampered, or even how old they are.

But how about medication that comes in sealed boxes, bottles, bubble packs, etc. where tampering would be obvious? One fairly common medication I'm thinking of comes in plastic bubble packs with 6 individually-sealed pills per pack. Five of those packs go into a cardboard box which is also sealed with tape. It would take a very clever person to tamper with that.

Incidentally packaging pills in individually-sealed bubble packs is the norm in Europe. It's not only more convenient to dispense, but there's less chance of the pharmacist making a counting error or putting the individual pills into an incorrectly labelled bottle. Moreover the individual pills aren't exposed to the elements so they can't get contaminated by residue from other medication.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3260 posts
909 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
Don't think you should if the store resells them because it is not sealed and people can swap pills just to harm others but this is Costco so they probably would and they won't resell them. Let us know OP if you do try to refund it.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Wow. Why is there so much hate for someone just asking a question!!!!!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28910 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
redgrandam wrote: Wow. Why is there so much hate for someone just asking a question!!!!!
An an "RFD effect" of a different kind. And not in a good way. Sigh...
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18153 posts
14118 upvotes
Toronto
7 year old thread folks...move along
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
bylo wrote: An an "RFD effect" of a different kind. And not in a good way. Sigh...
Seems to be worse lately. But yeah. Guess that's what it is.

That said, if they store decides they will accept the return then go for it. I'd say I wouldn't feel bad if you are a regular shopper there and it wasn't a huge rx.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3251 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
steadle wrote: I think you should be able to return prescription drugs in some circumstances. Like when they don't do what they are intended to do. I have just started a new prescription and it does not do what it is supposed to do AND causes me to have a horrible headache and feel like a zombie.
I don't care what the pharmacy has to do with the pills, obviously they can't sell them, but I feel like the pharmaceutical company should refund the money for a product they sold that didn't work.
That's your doctor's issue, not the pharma company. Drugs that work for me may not work for you, and drugs that may not have any side effects for you may have lots for me.

If there is a return permitted, it should be through the company, not the pharmacist.

...and "this prescription was filled but I don't need the drugs anymore..." should NOT be a justification for a return. If you didn't need them you shouldn't have had the prescription filled, or if the prescription was valid but suddenly you don't need the drugs any longer, there should not be any partial returns permitted. IMO, of course.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28910 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ALLCAPS wrote: That's your doctor's issue, not the pharma company. Drugs that work for me may not work for you, and drugs that may not have any side effects for you may have lots for me.
I'm not sure it's necessarily the doctor's issue either. Like you say medications are YMMV. As long as the doctor and pharmacist acted competently by prescribing a recognized medication for the patient's condition, considered side-effects, checked for contra-indications like allergies, interactions, etc. then they're not at fault.

Furthermore no prescription pharma company guarantees that their products will work for anyone, let alone for everyone. (Just read the mice-size print on the document in the package for all the conditions and disclaimers ;) )

But in this case this is all irrelevant since the OP was getting a refill. Presumably earlier prescriptions for this medication worked as intended and without significant side-effects. So the efficacy of the medication isn't an issue.
and "this prescription was filled but I don't need the drugs anymore..." should NOT be a justification for a return. If you didn't need them you shouldn't have had the prescription filled, or if the prescription was valid but suddenly you don't need the drugs any longer, there should not be any partial returns permitted. IMO, of course.
Absolutely. The OP said the Rx was refilled in error by his sister. His issue is with his sister, not Costco or his doctor. Of course if Costco wants to refund his money as a goodwill gesture, then that's their business. But they're certainly not obligated to do so.
veni, vidi, Visa
Nov 28, 2007
560 posts
247 upvotes
Etobicoke
Sorry if I missed this in the flurry of angry posts. Sorry OP that you got such responses for a question. It is a terrible way to learn a lesson, I hope the prescription meds weren't too pricey.

I was just curious, can people fill or refill prescriptions that are not their own? Is this common practice? Anytime I've had a prescription or needed to refill, they ask for my health card and verify that it's for me/mine.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28910 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
You need to provide an original prescription, signed by someone like an MD who's authorized to write it, in order to get an Rx filled. Nowadays many doctors will fax these in to your pharmacy.

You can get refills, to the extent that the Rx provides, simply by calling the pharmacy, giving them the Rx number that you're about to run out of and asking for a refill. I do this all the time.

You, or someone known to your pharmacist, e.g. spouse, can pick up the Rx. However if this is for a new medication it's best that you pick it up in person the first time so that the pharmacist can go over details about when to take the meds, with/without food, possible side-effects to watch out for, etc.

The rules are more stringent for certain pharmaceuticals that contain controlled substances like narcotics, e.g. Tylenol III with codeine. In those situations you'll have to provide ID every time. This is a provincial (Ontario) requirement that the pharmacist has to follow. Mine, who's known me for several years, even apologized when he had to ask me for ID. I don't know if they'll allow a third-party like a spouse to pick up these sorts of meds on your behalf. I imagine there has to be some sort of protocol for this, for instance so that a relative or friend can pick up an Rx on behalf of a bed-ridden or otherwise home-bound patient.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2397 posts
1091 upvotes
Maybe you should talk to your doctor who maybe prescribed the wrong medication? There is never any guarantee with any drug. Everyone has different reactions to them. Some people get side effects and some don't. Did you read and educate yourself about the potential side effects before you took it? I bet headache was on the list.