Shopping Discussion

Costco Return Policy- Will they exchange a product that broke after 2 years?

• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2011 5:02 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1171 posts
102 upvotes
Vancouver

Costco Return Policy- Will they exchange a product that broke after 2 years?

I have a Sonicare tooth brush that I purchased from costco just over 2 years ago and recently some parts in the handle broke internally so now it is unusable and the warranty has expired. However the second tooth brush handle that came in the pack is still working great.

So I am wondering if Costco will exchange the broken tooth brush for a new one as I am not satisfied that it has broke already. I don't have the receipt or any packaging though...
19 replies
Dec 20, 2010
288 posts
62 upvotes
Why are you not satisfied? Your warranty expired, meaning the product's life expectancy is clearly only around this long, and you have a replacement in the package.

Don't be so greedy. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
4788 posts
510 upvotes
South of Ottawa
It's not broken. You do know that you're supposed to change the actual toothbrush on a regular basis?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5722 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
So I am wondering if Costco will exchange the broken tooth brush for a new one as I am not satisfied that it has broke already.
NO, it's not that you "not satisfied" it's that you're looking for a freebie, and you know Costco has an overly generous return policy.

Things wear out and need to be replaced .... so replace it!

Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2489 posts
120 upvotes
sandy_beach wrote:
May 11th, 2011 10:05 am
I have a Sonicare tooth brush that I purchased from costco just over 2 years ago and recently some parts in the handle broke internally so now it is unusable and the warranty has expired. However the second tooth brush handle that came in the pack is still working great.

So I am wondering if Costco will exchange the broken tooth brush for a new one as I am not satisfied that it has broke already. I don't have the receipt or any packaging though...

i'm really hoping you are merely a troll.

if you have issues, call the manufacture.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5371 posts
355 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
sandy_beach wrote:
May 11th, 2011 10:05 am

Yes they will very likely let you exchange it.

No you shouldn't do this because it's unethical.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
4788 posts
510 upvotes
South of Ottawa
number8888 wrote:
May 11th, 2011 11:25 am
Yes they will very likely let you exchange it.

No you shouldn't do this because it's unethical.

I would hope that in this case they wouldn't. There's nothing wrong with the sonic except the OP has kept using the same brush for two years and wonders why it's broken. She clearly said that the other brush works fine so there's no problem with the charger or the base.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2084 posts
184 upvotes
Beachdown wrote:
May 11th, 2011 12:26 pm
She clearly said that the other brush works fine so there's no problem with the charger or the base.

She clearly said "handle" on two different occasions.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8220 posts
2353 upvotes
Ottawa
Might as well exchange the toothbrush when the expensive brush part needs replacing, no?

Anytime someone comes on here looking for positive reinforcement for ethical issues, they know something is not right otherwise they would just do it. If someone needs online strangers' opinions on ethics and morality they need self esteem courses alot more than a new toothbrush.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
4788 posts
510 upvotes
South of Ottawa
GSRee wrote:
May 11th, 2011 1:22 pm
She clearly said "handle" on two different occasions.

You only get one "handle" with the sonic. Plus two brushes.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7529 posts
372 upvotes
OP - I think it's perfectly fair game for you to return it and would do so. Depending on your return habits, I don't think you'll have any issues either. I just returned a defective water cooler last week that I bought 2 years ago.

Others - Costco's return policy is that (aside from electronics), they guarantee your satisfaction on all their merchandise or will provide you a full refund. There is no stipulation of time based on calendar years or in respect to the product's warranty period. The OP bought a toothbrush where the 1 of the 2 handles is now broken and is not satisfied with the product. That falls within the return policy. The OP is not abusing the system by returning it just to get $ back to buy the newest toothbrush.

IMO, those saying that the OP is abusing the policy because the toothbrush warranty are wrong as well. There are TONS of products out there that have a warranty far shorter than the average person's usage expectations. Eg. Any standard kitchen appliance (fridge, range, dishwasher) comes with a ONE YEAR warranty. No one in their right mind would expect to buy a new kitchen appliance set every year because the warranty dictates the life expectancy. However, if your fridge compressor does go, you're simply SOL.

Costco build's its loyal customer base from their superior customer service and excellent return policy. I buy almost everything (groceries, electronics, fertilizer, etc) from Costco because they stand behind their products. Yes, Costco sucked up the cost of my defective water cooler the day I returned it, but that very day I bought the water cooler they had in stock at full price… along with a ton of other things. I don't abuse their return policy and only return things that break on me or truly suck. As a result, they're happy to keep me as a customer and I'm happy to shop with them. Win-win.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2084 posts
184 upvotes
Stock R wrote:
May 11th, 2011 2:56 pm
OP - I think it's perfectly fair game for you to return it and would do so. Depending on your return habits, I don't think you'll have any issues either. I just returned a defective water cooler last week that I bought 2 years ago.

Others - Costco's return policy is that (aside from electronics), they guarantee your satisfaction on all their merchandise or will provide you a full refund. There is no stipulation of time based on calendar years or in respect to the product's warranty period. The OP bought a toothbrush where the 1 of the 2 handles is now broken and is not satisfied with the product. That falls within the return policy.

I think the problem is that some people take an extremely long time to become satisfied, if they can be at all. What if the water cooler or toothbrush breaks after 5 years instead of 2 years? Or 10 years? or 20 years? At what point do you become satisfied with the product and not return it to Costco?

It's a different amount of time for everybody, so that's why some people think it's return abuse, while others are OK with it. In the end it doesn't matter if others think it's return abuse though, because Costco is OK with it, and that's all that matters. They know that most people would feel ashamed to return something after 2 years, so that self-moderates the number of returns they receive, meaning they don't take heavy losses, which is good for them. But then for those whose cheapness (not meant in a bad way, this is RFD after all) overpowers their shame, they keep a happy customer, which is also good for them.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7529 posts
372 upvotes
GSRee wrote:
May 11th, 2011 3:48 pm
At what point do you become satisfied with the product and not return it to Costco?

In the end it doesn't matter if others think it's return abuse though, because Costco is OK with it, and that's all that matters.

That's exactly it. It baffles me that Costco is ok with accepting defective products throughout a lifetime, how does it become a morals issue that requires the RFD bandwagon to publically flog the OP?

When someone "rents" or "borrows" a product from Costco, it's a completely different issue as they aren't returning it because they aren't satisfied. Which imo, doesn't warrant a return after even a day. Eg. Buying a TV for superbowl weekend.
× < >