Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Samsonite Ultralite 2.0 2-piece luggage set, 30" and 21.5", $49.97 (Huge YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2018 3:28 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
21330 posts
8152 upvotes
Ottawa
MooseV2 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 3:32 pm
4x-5x times the weight of an 8lb suitcase?! How/why are you bringing 30-40lbs of stuff on a trip? My entire pack weight INCLUDING all my gear is 4.8lbs (business -- includes suit and electronics) or 8.7lbs (hiking/pleasure -- includes tent/sleeping bag/sleeping pad/etc).
My wife used to pack two full checked baggage at the max 50lbs limit, for each suitcase.
Now I have convinced her to only pack one.
I get what you are saying, but the weight of the suitcase "dry", is not an issue for us, as we're not climbing Kilimanjaro.LOL
Oct 27, 2016
111 posts
121 upvotes
Manatus wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 3:37 pm
I don't really think this is designed for the trips that you want to go on.
From what I'm reading, it seems like his trips are more like backpacking across Australia or Europe or something, where you would never travel with a luggage.

It's a completely different application, but at 8lbs, this is considered light for the size. I just bought a 30" hard shell that weighs 10.8lbs.
Nov 29, 2006
772 posts
144 upvotes
MooseV2 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 3:32 pm
4x-5x times the weight of an 8lb suitcase?! How/why are you bringing 30-40lbs of stuff on a trip? My entire pack weight INCLUDING all my gear is 4.8lbs (business -- includes suit and electronics) or 8.7lbs (hiking/pleasure -- includes tent/sleeping bag/sleeping pad/etc).
I agree that weight is always an issue with a suitcase because there is a limit to what the airlines allow, which is why I want a lighter suitcase... so I can pack more. Having said that, it's often a struggle to stay within the 50lb weight limit (economy)... so a lb or 2 is the difference of being charged extra fees and not.

Unless you're only going for a day, or don't bother changing your underwear, it's inconceivable how you can pack so light. A Suit with tie, shirt, and even possibly a hanger, and a laptop WITH your AC Adapter is probably gonna weigh more than 4.8 lbs.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2087 posts
488 upvotes
Nunavut
vkizzle wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 1:44 pm
So you travel with an empty suitcase?
My point is, the "dry" weight is not an issue, as the overall weight will be 4x-5x after fully packed!
I don't see why it would NOT be an issue

Don't you want a lighter suitcase so that you have the ability to put more in it and keep under the airlines weight limit?

Going on 2 week type vacations you will be packing in your checked bag a number of things including toiletries and what not that you can't put in carry on which quickly bump up the weight.. so the less weight the 'dry' suitcase uses the better

Shorter trips, why bother with a checked bag vs carry on? But again.. the lighter that thing is the better no matter how much you put in it
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
21330 posts
8152 upvotes
Ottawa
Eldorado wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 5:23 pm
I don't see why it would NOT be an issue

Don't you want a lighter suitcase so that you have the ability to put more in it and keep under the airlines weight limit?

Going on 2 week type vacations you will be packing in your checked bag a number of things including toiletries and what not that you can't put in carry on which quickly bump up the weight.. so the less weight the 'dry' suitcase uses the better

Shorter trips, why bother with a checked bag vs carry on? But again.. the lighter that thing is the better no matter how much you put in it
8lbs dry...give me a break!

Edit: remove rude comment.
Last edited by vkizzle on Jun 13th, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2087 posts
488 upvotes
Nunavut
vkizzle wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 6:30 pm
8lbs dry...give me a break!
Talking to a bunch of cry babies.
As usual.. Such a class act
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
5858 posts
970 upvotes
Mont-Royal
RunOrDie wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 2:13 pm
Called local Costco and only availability is a store in Quebec which is pointless for me but GL to the Québécois.
midn if u can tell me which store?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
21330 posts
8152 upvotes
Ottawa
Eldorado wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 7:24 pm
As usual.. Such a class act
My apologies, I take that back.
I guess my type of vacation (cruises and AI) are not impacted by 50lbs luggages, as I'm only handling it for a very little amount of time, throughout the entire vacation.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2087 posts
488 upvotes
Nunavut
vkizzle wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 8:38 pm
My apologies, I take that back.
I guess my type of vacation (cruises and AI) are not impacted by 50lbs luggages, as I'm only handling it for a very little amount of time, throughout the entire vacation.
Really it all has to do with giving you the ability to pack more in, things easily add up and not everyone has the same needs.. the handling of the bag I don't even care about, it's always heavy when packed!

I just did a 3 week Hawaii trip, and let's just say we were lucky we did biz class with Aeroplan (70lbs checked bag), with a 6month old we jammed as many diapers in as we could physically fit.. not to mention everything else that comes with a toddler.. if I was flying economy then every fraction of a pound would count to avoid fee's, so starting out as light as possible is my goal.. I really don't see much wrong with that

8lbs isn't exactly heavy in comparison, but you can definitely save a couple pounds with other brands.. and for us that could have meant another couple dozen diapers plus whatever else we need
Jun 18, 2008
544 posts
63 upvotes
Montreal
Eldorado wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 10:59 am
Really it all has to do with giving you the ability to pack more in, things easily add up and not everyone has the same needs.. the handling of the bag I don't even care about, it's always heavy when packed!

I just did a 3 week Hawaii trip, and let's just say we were lucky we did biz class with Aeroplan (70lbs checked bag), with a 6month old we jammed as many diapers in as we could physically fit.. not to mention everything else that comes with a toddler.. if I was flying economy then every fraction of a pound would count to avoid fee's, so starting out as light as possible is my goal.. I really don't see much wrong with that

8lbs isn't exactly heavy in comparison, but you can definitely save a couple pounds with other brands.. and for us that could have meant another couple dozen diapers plus whatever else we need
Yeah, for most people I feel like a couple of extra lbs from the suitcase itself isn't really going to matter.

I used to always overpack and bring extra clothes just in case, and I almost never ended up wearing them.
This year, I went on a multi-city Asia and Australia trip for 3 weeks (sick open jaw deal posted on RFD) and found out that LCCs charge ~$40-80 USD (depending on destination) for a checked-in luggage. So since I was hitting up several cities, I'd get charged for the same checked-in luggage every single time. I did the math and it was going to be around $230 USD so I decided to try to only bring a carry-on, and do laundry a few times (most airbnb's I booked luckily had washing machines, but no dryer). The weight limit for carry-ons was only 7kg so it definitely helped that my luggage itself was pretty light. Let's just say that I will only bring a carry-on from now on (for multi-city trips). Besides saving $, it's so liberating not having to lug around a check-in, nor having to wait for it at the luggage conveyor belt. I highly recommend people to try it out!
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
1684 posts
264 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 3:41 pm
My wife used to pack two full checked baggage at the max 50lbs limit, for each suitcase.
Now I have convinced her to only pack one.
I get what you are saying, but the weight of the suitcase "dry", is not an issue for us, as we're not climbing Kilimanjaro.LOL
Yes it is. The lighter it is, you can pack heavier items. (eg: those who travel with a CPAP)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
21330 posts
8152 upvotes
Ottawa
second2none wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 3:16 pm
Yes it is. The lighter it is, you can pack heavier items. (eg: those who travel with a CPAP)
"it is not an issue for us..."
We don't travel with a CPAP or any other types of medical devices.