• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 4:12 pm
[OP]
Aug 25, 2011
12 posts
30 upvotes
QUÉBEC

[Costco] Samsung Gear S3 Classic

On their website (https://www.costco.ca/Samsung-%E2%80%93 ... 27862.html) the watch costs 450$. I went in Costco Ste Foy, QC and found it instore at 300$ :)
Don't know if it's only here but I'm happy :D
Samsung Gear S3 Classic.jpg
170 replies
Jan 5, 2013
610 posts
125 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
That is a crazy good price! They're going for $300 usd new in the states.

I bought a used one from Amazon warehouse deals in the states for $230 cad still waiting for it to get here. The US version has Samsung pay so that's a benefit.
Jun 15, 2012
978 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
i saw this today at markham yorktech
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4009 posts
561 upvotes
Aurora
I'd love to get one to play around with; they look great, especially the S2/S3 Classics. But I'm a smartwatch noob and on the fence. Is there a compelling reason to get one? A killer app / killer function? I'm never really that far from my S7 Edge and use a Polar for running and HRM. I own a couple of high end mechanical watches - Omega Seamaster and Jaeger le Coultre Reverso. I expect to keep and use my mechanical watches for decades. How long does one expect to keep a smartwatch? Any reason to jump onto the smartwatch train? Educate a newbie.
Oct 18, 2009
50 posts
86 upvotes
Calgary
bought this a little more than a month ago for $420 I think, should have waited.
Dec 12, 2003
699 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
It's a great watch. However, do not get if you have a Samsung phone and are NOT using the stock OS. Many features will be crippled completely.
Apr 9, 2015
133 posts
59 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
this or S2 classic?
Jun 29, 2005
503 posts
10 upvotes
Vancouver
slifer wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 1:52 am
this or S2 classic?
I have both...use the s3 much more often than the s2. The s3 face size is definitely larger and stands out more than the s2..the speaker is also useful to have
Feb 17, 2012
106 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Has anybody else seen it for $300 outside of QC?
Mar 27, 2006
879 posts
138 upvotes
I picked up a S3 frontier from someone who was switching back to apple...didn't know it would actually work with an iPhone. It was like new and came with extra straps for $250. I love the watch! I have some excellent looking watch faces from the Facer App. Just install that app from the play store....set it for the S3 and then click on the most popular free watch faces...All kinds of excellent looking free faces inc Tissot, Tag, swiss army, omega etc. I also have a Zenwatch 3 which is a nice watch but I prefer the Frontier. Android wear's Google voice works much better than S-voice for dictating texts etc but everything else is better on the Samsung. Works well with my S8 but should work well with any android phone. Lots of aftermarket 22mm straps available as well. Image
https://i.imgur.com/Lvb4o3I.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vvXEnEU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/r7hCbS9.jpg
Last edited by Tuppin on Nov 3rd, 2017 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 7, 2009
388 posts
131 upvotes
Good price ... I bought it for $310+tax when the Source had it on sale (and that's when you could stack the PSP discount and e-mail signup discount even on on-sale items ... not anymore) but this is as low as I've seen the price.

I have been using the S3 for ~ 6 months now and I like it. It can't replace my Garmin fitness watch for running and other exercises, but I use the S3 as my everyday watch now and wear the garmin only when I exercise. The screen looks really nice, battery lasts long enough for a smartwatch (I don't even need to bring charger for short weekend trips, battery lasts close to 3 full days). I just wish Samsung pay works here in Canada.
Jul 7, 2009
388 posts
131 upvotes
DecayHeat wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 8:26 am
Is a smart watch even worth it?
That's a very personal question. I know many people who don't wear a watch, period, and just use their phone to tell time. To me, the smartwatch is useful because I can quickly flip my wrist and see the notification when I get a message, and decide if I need to take out my watch to check the message. That's the #1 use case on my smartwatch.

My smartwatch is also my fitness tracker, tracks the # of steps I have taken in a day, remind me when I've been sitting for too long. It can also store music and I pair it up with my bluetooth headset, so that when I go for a run I don't have to bring my phone.

There are other functions I use my smartwatch for, like I actually find myself using the speakerphone function on the watch quite a lot (usually when my phone is in another room and I get a call), I find it convenient my smartwatch smart-locks my phone ... all in all it's like an extension of my phone.

Is it 'necessary'? No. Is it convenient? That's a personal question and to me, it is.
Oct 29, 2015
44 posts
14 upvotes
number17 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 8:34 am
That's a very personal question. I know many people who don't wear a watch, period, and just use their phone to tell time. To me, the smartwatch is useful because I can quickly flip my wrist and see the notification when I get a message, and decide if I need to take out my watch to check the message. That's the #1 use case on my smartwatch.

My smartwatch is also my fitness tracker, tracks the # of steps I have taken in a day, remind me when I've been sitting for too long. It can also store music and I pair it up with my bluetooth headset, so that when I go for a run I don't have to bring my phone.

There are other functions I use my smartwatch for, like I actually find myself using the speakerphone function on the watch quite a lot (usually when my phone is in another room and I get a call), I find it convenient my smartwatch smart-locks my phone ... all in all it's like an extension of my phone.

Is it 'necessary'? No. Is it convenient? That's a personal question and to me, it is.
Hey thanks for the reply!
Are there any "must-have" apps or functionalities?