Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Samsung Gear S3 Classic

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 4:12 pm
Nov 6, 2017
5 posts
11 upvotes
I bought one but returned it later on, because of no Samsung pay.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2003
1343 posts
93 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
Will this watch survive going into a jacuzzi?

People are saying no Samsung Pay is a deal breaker; is Samsung pay really used that much in Canada by retailers?
Last edited by ChiGGz on Dec 7th, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 23, 2016
23 posts
10 upvotes
Leask
Driftwood wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:18 am
Will the Pebble still be supported after this year?
I think Fitbit bought Pebble out recently. Not sure if they'll continue supporting their watches. I haven't seen any Pebbles sold in the stores anymore after the news
Nov 27, 2003
707 posts
149 upvotes
DecayHeat wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 8:26 am
Is a smart watch even worth it?
Flow chart:
Do you like watches? -> yes
Do you like Gadgets? -> yes -> Then yes.
--------------------------------> no -> Then no.
Nov 27, 2003
707 posts
149 upvotes
deezz wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 4:00 pm
Always On Display
If it behaves like the S2, which I will assume that it does, the AOD is a monochrome version of your watch face that uses less power, but is always on. I tried it for awhile, but then turned it off. I like being able to get more than one day of battery life out of it.

Kick ass watch.
Nov 27, 2003
707 posts
149 upvotes
ChiGGz wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:49 am

People are saying no Samsung Pay is a deal breaker; is Samsung pay really used that much in Canada by retailers?
I wear the Gear S2 Classic in the gym and shower (with a sport band), and it's fine. A heavily chlorinated hot tub, may eff up the band a bit, but I'm pretty sure this watch will survive. Personally I wouldn't do it, or take it swimming, etc. Since it is only technically labelled "water resistant", you'd probably have a hard time with warranty, if the thing ended up damaged.
Nov 5, 2013
77 posts
31 upvotes
ChiGGz wrote:

If you have a compatible credit card or debit card you can virtually use it anywhere that has swipe and NFC. Only place I haven't been able to use Spay is on metered parking.

Spay is quite different from apple or android pay where it doesn't require the NFC to function because it can also generate a "swipe".
Jul 17, 2017
5 posts
2 upvotes
I have one and I wouldn't risk it.
It's not retailers that's the problem, it's supported banks. Samsung just rolled out support for more cards and banks this month but it'll work pretty much anywhere that tap works. I'm hoping this expanded rollout means that support on the S3 for Samsung pay is coming soon.
Aug 27, 2009
323 posts
157 upvotes
Driftwood wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:18 am
Will the Pebble still be supported after this year?
My honest answer is it hasn't been supported for a year. Still works perfectly on Android and my wife's iphone.
It's sad because it's still my favorite watch(es).

Dictation is 10x better than S voice.
Shortcuts and apps are way better.
Functionality is way better (imo). Basically using the watch day to day.
Battery life is miles better.

Screen and appearance are worse on Pebble.

My S3 Frontier is currently at 80% and I took it off the charger this morning. My Pebble would still be at 100% :(
Dec 23, 2013
2 posts
2 upvotes
Has anyone from GTA bought it for $299? Website has it listed it for $399.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
1764 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto
lleb13 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:17 pm
My honest answer is it hasn't been supported for a year. Still works perfectly on Android and my wife's iphone.
It's sad because it's still my favorite watch(es).

Dictation is 10x better than S voice.
Shortcuts and apps are way better.
Functionality is way better (imo). Basically using the watch day to day.
Battery life is miles better.

Screen and appearance are worse on Pebble.

My S3 Frontier is currently at 80% and I took it off the charger this morning. My Pebble would still be at 100% :(
I was a big fan of Pebble, used to have a Pebble Steel myself. I was going to buy another until Fitbit bought them. These days I just use a Fossil Q as my smartwatch. I don't really need a screen, just a notification buzz and some controls. The coin battery needs to be replaced every 6 months, but Fossil will do it for free during the warranty period.
15+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD
Aug 25, 2010
207 posts
46 upvotes
deeznuts wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:39 am
If it behaves like the S2, which I will assume that it does, the AOD is a monochrome version of your watch face that uses less power, but is always on. I tried it for awhile, but then turned it off. I like being able to get more than one day of battery life out of it.

Kick ass watch.
I like the s2. However s-voice is pretty horrible. Always says "input failed, please try again later".
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
3976 posts
827 upvotes
Halifax
ChiGGz wrote:

I can't think of many electronics that would. I wouldn't take any of my watches into a jacuzzi...
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2003
1343 posts
93 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
neverhaveiever wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:40 pm
I can't think of many electronics that would. I wouldn't take any of my watches into a jacuzzi...
Gear Sport seems alright actually, water rated to 50M. Also, my Bulova divers watch. I like to keep track of how long I'm in the hot tub.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
6358 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
deeznuts wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:35 am
Flow chart:
Do you like watches? -> yes
Do you like Gadgets? -> yes -> Then yes.
--------------------------------> no -> Then no.
I like my S2 Classic too. I only wear it a few days a week, since I have watches I also like to wear.