[Costco] Samsung Gear S3 Classic

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 4:12 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1015 posts
67 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
I'm likely going to return my S3 to Costco. There's still no time frame for Samsung bringing SPay to the Canadian version of this watch (though nearly the entire rest of the world has it) and S-Voice is practically useless and likely always will be. But the most frustrating thing to me is that the screen timeout setting means nothing. Regardless of how the watch display is turned on (flick of the wrist or button push or bezel turn, the screen turns off again immediately upon further wrist movement. The only way to have the screen stay on for the length of the screen timeout is not to move the watch. Likewise AOD monochrome mode turns on immediately upon wrist movement.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4416 posts
689 upvotes
I have the Gear Sport guys...if you have any questions about it, feel free to AMA.

LOVE the new, deeper, actually useful, water resistance.

Also, I bought mine in the States, so my Samsung Pay SHOULD work....however....I'm with the WRONG BANK AAARRRGH. So far it's Scotia and CIBC that support it. Dammit I was looking forward to this feature so much.
*RFD - once you're in there's no getting out.*

*If you wanna buy something, wait for it! Eventually RFD will post it and something in your pants will feel awesome that you waited: your wallet.*
May 2, 2015
13 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have just returned the Canadian version to Bestbuy and bought US version from B&H photo just for Samsung Pay.

My first non-andoridwear smart watch after several years and I am not unhappy at all. This watch is just amazing. Samsung now supporting "OK google" detection on Note 8 when the screen is off just addresses my only gripe about Tizen watch. Now I can use phone for all google assistant related stuff and watch for typical smart watch functions.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4416 posts
689 upvotes
trijunction wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:13 pm
I have just returned the Canadian version to Bestbuy and bought US version from B&H photo just for Samsung Pay.
Have you tried Samsung Pay yet? This is one of the main features I am just itching to try, but must wait for my bank....which could take.....forever :(

*If you wanna buy something, wait for it! Eventually RFD will post it and something in your pants will feel awesome that you waited: your wallet.*
May 2, 2015
13 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, ON
deezz wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:16 pm
Have you tried Samsung Pay yet? This is one of the main features I am just itching to try, but must wait for my bank....which could take.....forever :(
I have installed and its working as intended I guess as I could add the card and recall it on a long press of back key. Just yet to make my first purchase with watch.

I guess you are with RBC? My bank too. I got tired of waiting and got an Amex card instead.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4416 posts
689 upvotes
@trijunction The moment I am able to make a payment from my watch, I will feel like I am in the future! I can't wait :)

Nov 27, 2003
711 posts
151 upvotes
live_4ever wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:29 pm
I like the s2. However s-voice is pretty horrible. Always says "input failed, please try again later".
S-voice... funny, I have actually never used it. I just checked now, and yes, there it is. I have "Hey Google"/"Ok Google" with Google Home and my phone, so I haven't felt the need to talk into another device, but maybe I'll give it a crack at some point. This might be useful in the winter time, while snowboarding or something. I find the bezel wheel really good for switching songs with gloves on.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
3986 posts
829 upvotes
Halifax
ChiGGz wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:28 pm
Gear Sport seems alright actually, water rated to 50M. Also, my Bulova divers watch. I like to keep track of how long I'm in the hot tub.
there is a difference between diving and a hottub...
Sep 19, 2007
521 posts
71 upvotes
I picked up an arrow smart watch last month, but have to wait for it to go into production. This seems like a good alternative while I wait - good price.
May 2, 2015
13 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, ON
deezz wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:33 pm
@trijunction The moment I am able to make a payment from my watch, I will feel like I am in the future! I can't wait :)
Tomorrow morning I am going to try at Tim Horton's and let you know. I am curious too.
Dec 18, 2016
38 posts
10 upvotes
trijunction wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:02 pm
Tomorrow morning I am going to try at Tim Horton's and let you know. I am curious too.
I managed to install the US version of the firmware and now I have the Samsung pay on my watch but it won't accept my CIBC debit card!! What did you use as Zip code?
I am getting the error that my card is not supported.
I have already applied for a CIBC Visa can't wait to receive and try it!!!
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1080 posts
161 upvotes
Ali0056 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:17 pm
I managed to install the US version of the firmware and now I have the Samsung pay on my watch but it won't accept my CIBC debit card!! What did you use as Zip code?
I am getting the error that my card is not supported.
I have already applied for a CIBC Visa can't wait to receive and try it!!!
Where is the URL with the ROM install instructions?
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D
Dec 18, 2016
38 posts
10 upvotes
coffeebean wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:37 pm
Where is the URL with the ROM install instructions?
I hope to receive my CIBC credit card either tomorrow or Monday. Once I fully test and verify that it works, I will post the instructions and links.
There is a chance to brick your watch but I guess it's kind of safe within 30 days lol.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2003
1345 posts
93 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
neverhaveiever wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 5:57 pm
there is a difference between diving and a hottub...
Sure there is; my Gear sport also can be taken diving and it's not actually a diver's watch. If it can work diving under 50 Meters of water then I'm comfortable having it 5' of hot tub water.

There are electronic watches that can survive; I just didn't know if this S3 Classic is one of them. After posting I did find a guy on youtube who did a vid on taking his Classic Frontier into the hot tub with no issues,
Aug 27, 2009
323 posts
157 upvotes
Ali0056 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:47 pm
I hope to receive my CIBC credit card either tomorrow or Monday. Once I fully test and verify that it works, I will post the instructions and links.
There is a chance to brick your watch but I guess it's kind of safe within 30 days lol.
Which rom did you use?
I've already flashed my S3 Frontier.
I can test it with my scotiabank CC