Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Samsung Gear S3 Classic

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 4:12 pm
Nov 12, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
British columbia
there were five or 6 left yesterday in Prince george. Albeit you have to ask for them at service desk and then go to the lockup to get it
Aug 25, 2010
207 posts
46 upvotes
turbo_slug wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 11:28 am
I grabbed one from the Costco in Burnaby BC. No idea exactly how many were in stock but there were lots of those cardboard things you bring to checkout if you want to buy one.

One major disappointment is the heart rate monitor. It's extremely slow and most of the time errors out if I don't hold it while making a measurement. It also doesn't record continuously even when the "auto heart rate" option is selected. My Garmin vivoactive HR records every minute and has no problem making accurate measurements.
Did you get one today? Which Burnaby store, the Willingdon one? Also new to the smartphone. I am reading up on this and it says there are limited apps due to Tizen OS. My question is does the watch allow you to control the phone? For example, can I use the watch to open up sportify on the phone or my podcast app on the phone.

I guess my question is whether the watch will let me leave my phone screen off to save battery.

Thanks.
Oct 19, 2007
90 posts
47 upvotes
Vancouver
number17 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 6:39 pm
huh? You must have a faulty unit?

SVoice works on my S3, and I can reply to messages via voice recognition ... I did it just earlier today and it works fine.

Battery life isn't worse than S2, the S2 has a 250 mAH battery, while the S3 has 380 mAH. Both running the same version of Tizen. I am happy with my S3's battery, where if I keep "always on display" off I can get ~ 3.5 days of use out of it, without turning anything else off. With AOD on, I can still get over 24 hours ... I always have 30+% of battery left when I come home from a long day. I mean it's no Garmin vivoactive (which I don't even need to bring a charger on a 5 days trip) but that's as good as it gets for a smartwatch imo.

So if battery life and SVoice are the reasons you are returning the S3, you may just had a faulty unit.
What is AOD?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4416 posts
689 upvotes
bikar wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 3:55 pm
What is AOD?
Always On Display
*RFD - once you're in there's no getting out.*

*If you wanna buy something, wait for it! Eventually RFD will post it and something in your pants will feel awesome that you waited: your wallet.*
Aug 22, 2007
406 posts
168 upvotes
1barterer wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 1:18 pm
I'm in meetings and on the road all day. For me it is worth it. Knowing who's calling during a meeting without taking my phone out is useful for me so I know if it's an emergency or not. So is being able to read and reply to texts that way. Multitasking is quick with voice commands and it's very fast to take notes or set appointments.

There aren't any "killer" features I'd say, but efficiency is important for me and I can multitask a little easier with it - wouldnt ruin my life if I didn't have it, but I like it.

And I get a compliment here and there cus it's a good looking watch. I'm using a fossil q,got it for 200 last year.
+1. I'm oncall quite often and I wear my smartwatch when I sleep so that I can leave my ringer on silent and still be notified via vibrate (on wrist) when certain things require my attention. Since you can override which apps can notify you if you're on DND/silent, its pretty nice - especially if you don't want your work to wake anyone else around you.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4416 posts
689 upvotes
FYI guys, the S3 Frontier is now $349.99 at BestBuy and Staples, which means you can use some coupons at Staples too :)
*RFD - once you're in there's no getting out.*

*If you wanna buy something, wait for it! Eventually RFD will post it and something in your pants will feel awesome that you waited: your wallet.*
Jul 7, 2009
380 posts
130 upvotes
h41t3r wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 8:40 am
+1. I'm oncall quite often and I wear my smartwatch when I sleep so that I can leave my ringer on silent and still be notified via vibrate (on wrist) when certain things require my attention. Since you can override which apps can notify you if you're on DND/silent, its pretty nice - especially if you don't want your work to wake anyone else around you.
Yep, that is often the feature I find most useful - being able to see, or even quick reply to messages directly from the phone.

My wife works at call center and is not allowed to use her phone at work, but she can get away with reading (and replying, if need be) messages from her smartwatch, so it's a life saver for her.
Nov 23, 2016
23 posts
10 upvotes
Leask
GiOBoY wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 10:21 am
Huawei Watch 2 vs. Samsung Gear S3
https://newatlas.com/samsung-gear-s3-vs ... son/48355/

Not sure if I want to buy this...
the Tizen OS and Samsung Pay making it REAL hard for me to decide.
Don't even think Samsung Pay is available on any of the Gear watches in Canada. They haven't announced when/if it's coming to the watches at all yet
Aug 27, 2009
323 posts
157 upvotes
GiOBoY wrote:

Like the other guy said, samsung pay is not available in Canada on the S3.

I have an gear S3 frontier. So far, outside of aesthetics I don't understand why anyone would pay 350$ for it instead of getting a cheap Pebble (with more apps).
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
1764 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto
lleb13 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:08 am
Like the other guy said, samsung pay is not available in Canada on the S3.

I have an gear S3 frontier. So far, outside of aesthetics I don't understand why anyone would pay 350$ for it instead of getting a cheap Pebble (with more apps).
Will the Pebble still be supported after this year?
15+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD
Jul 20, 2016
494 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
GiOBoY wrote:

That was the deal breaker for me, I got a Huawei Watch 2 Classic from amazon.com on black Friday (ended up at 355 CAD all in);

I think that Samsung Gear S3 is overall better and it feels faster, but no idea when I could use Samsung Pay, I would expected more apps for AW2 compared to Tizen...
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Jul 25, 2017
17 posts
3 upvotes
How long the battery lasts if you have AOD on?

I never liked Samsung pay , apple pay etc... I think just tapping credit card is much easier