Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Sony PS1 Classic 99.97 Costco Kitchener

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2019 10:45 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
4372 posts
6939 upvotes
umadbrah wrote: Lol OP is getting downvoted because this doesn't have a Nintendo label on it.

Also I can confirm pricing in Edmonton as well

EDIT: price is $79 at yellowhead location
I'm pretty sure OP is getting downvoted because the product is garbage, isn't selling well, and isn't worth it even at the discounted price. If it's already being discounted and it's only been out for a couple weeks, it means it's a dud. The fact people are relying on the hacking community to make this even a bit of a decent product is telling.

Most people know that if it's being discounted now, it will be on fire sale after new year.

I also upvoted OP, because despite crap deal, I'm in a holiday giving mood. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4549 posts
2623 upvotes
WL1980 wrote: If Sony made too many of this it will end up like the $30 PSTV clearance, or worse, $2 Steamlink.

Sony could have shucked the PSTV and put it in a PS1 case and it would be 10x better than this.
If this thing is really not selling, this might be the next hot buy at Dollarama in the next 6-12 months.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2011
5851 posts
5492 upvotes
Calgary
I guarantee you if this had a Nintendo logo and at regular price, the RFDers would be eating it up.

At $80 it's not not even that bad. Although I would wait for the $50 pricetag. People complaining that it doesn't have a wall adapter is extremely laughable, yet these same people wouldn't bat an eye to the fact that Nintendo has sold the 3DS without one for a very long time.

It's especially a dumb thing to complain about since almost every outlet brick you buy now has USB ports on it.
teksavvy sucks
Aug 23, 2015
486 posts
386 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I'd pay $50, no more. It does have Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8651 upvotes
GTA
umadbrah wrote: I guarantee you if this had a Nintendo logo and at regular price, the RFDers would be eating it up.

At $80 it's not not even that bad. Although I would wait for the $50 pricetag. People complaining that it doesn't have a wall adapter is extremely laughable, yet these same people wouldn't bat an eye to the fact that Nintendo has sold the 3DS without one for a very long time.

It's especially a dumb thing to complain about since almost every outlet brick you buy now has USB ports on it.
Nah man, I'm a Sony fanboy and wouldn't touch this thing even at the reduced price. For God's sake it has a weak game catalogue, runs 50hz games at 60hz which makes it look so wrong, and is priced more than the Nintendo Classics which did most things right. The real problem here isn't the RFD community or a lack of wall adapter I'm afraid. Simply put, garbage is still garbage.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5348 posts
4356 upvotes
Plus early 3D games don't age well. Should put more sprite based games like Suikoden II and Final Fantasy Tactics.
Sep 19, 2009
431 posts
292 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: Nah man, I'm a Sony fanboy and wouldn't touch this thing even at the reduced price. For God's sake it has a weak game catalogue, runs 50hz games at 60hz which makes it look so wrong, and is priced more than the Nintendo Classics which did most things right. The real problem here isn't the RFD community or a lack of wall adapter I'm afraid. Simply put, garbage is still garbage.
I'm also a sony man through and through, but the underpowered hardware they used for this and literally just using a readily available emulator from retroarch screams of poorly hidden attempt to milk fans like us. At best this would serve as a decent novelty item to put on your shelf, but this is likely the worse option on the market to play ps1 games with. Any smart phone from even the early 2010s can literally play ps1 games with far superior accuracy and power compared to this.
Jan 26, 2011
730 posts
635 upvotes
Gatineau
BernardRyder wrote: Nah man, I'm a Sony fanboy and wouldn't touch this thing even at the reduced price. For God's sake it has a weak game catalogue, runs 50hz games at 60hz which makes it look so wrong, and is priced more than the Nintendo Classics which did most things right. The real problem here isn't the RFD community or a lack of wall adapter I'm afraid. Simply put, garbage is still garbage.
I think he's right though, if Nintendo produces garbage, enough people will still buy it to justify not cutting the price. Look at 1-2 Switch for example.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8651 upvotes
GTA
BingoRingo wrote: I think he's right though, if Nintendo produces garbage, enough people will still buy it to justify not cutting the price. Look at 1-2 Switch for example.
1-2 Switch was a launch game, so I don't know if that's a good comparison. Launch games for any console are often hot garbage as they are trying to get early adopters and might still be working out how to make succesful games on a new console. Look at the PS3 and the early games that used SixAxis controls, barf.
I think Nintendo priced the Classics right. Sure they sold well because of the cuteness and nostalgia factor, but part of the success was the price point.
Nintendo CREATED the current 'Classics' market, all Sony had to do was put a bit more effort into copying them and this would have been a decent buy from retail. Nintendo set a lower price point to begin, and Sony didn't even get that part right. Sorry, its clear to me who is the greedier of the two companies.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2011
5851 posts
5492 upvotes
Calgary
BernardRyder wrote: 1-2 Switch was a launch game, so I don't know if that's a good comparison. Launch games for any console are often hot garbage as they are trying to get early adopters and might still be working out how to make succesful games on a new console. Look at the PS3 and the early games that used SixAxis controls, barf.
I think Nintendo priced the Classics right. Sure they sold well because of the cuteness and nostalgia factor, but part of the success was the price point.
Nintendo CREATED the current 'Classics' market, all Sony had to do was put a bit more effort into copying them and this would have been a decent buy from retail. Nintendo set a lower price point to begin, and Sony didn't even get that part right. Sorry, its clear to me who is the greedier of the two companies.

You do realize that the playstation classic has more expensive hardware, right? That's obviously going to drive up the manufacturing costs

Let's compare:

PS classic: quad-core ARM Cortex A35, 16GB storage, 1GB DDR3 RAM
SuperNES classic: quad-core ARM Cortex A7, 512 MB storage, 256MB DDR3 RAM

https://www.toradex.com/blog/the-arm-co ... comparison
teksavvy sucks
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1009 posts
1753 upvotes
Kingston, ON
"why buy this when you can just blablablablabla Raspberry Pi blablablabla save money blablablabla homebrew emulator."

I'm shocked this thread doesn't have Raspberry Pi mentioned yet...

what I'm sayin is....emulation isn't for everyone.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8651 upvotes
GTA
umadbrah wrote: You do realize that the playstation classic has more expensive hardware, right? That's obviously going to drive up the manufacturing costs

Let's compare:

That's fine and dandy, strong hardware. Too bad the interface is butt and some of the games run with refresh rate issues out of the box. And have you forgotten the cost Sony saved on the emulation side? They took freeware stuff to run these things, I'm guessing they saved money there.
Hey, Apple's hardware isn't the best, they're really a GUI and software company. They sell overpriced crap, but the difference is people actually buy it at cost in droves.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
2668 posts
1517 upvotes
Toronto
SolitoLoko wrote: $79.97 now
you saw it in the store for 79.97? Which Costco? I will buy one at that price. Ive been debating trying to find 3 to trade at EB.. but at 80$ I would just buy it at Costco.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
3108 posts
3603 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
umadbrah wrote: You do realize that the playstation classic has more expensive hardware, right? That's obviously going to drive up the manufacturing costs

Let's compare:

i already tried explaining to them, it is Battlefront 2 all over again. Listen to others, instead of trying themselves (you guys can return them if it sucks,...)
Oct 6, 2018
589 posts
1082 upvotes
I'll wait till this thing hits the Dollarama shelves before buying it
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2959 posts
2496 upvotes
Scarborough
Oh boy, after watching the YouTube reviews, I won’t touch this with a ten foot pole
Apr 14, 2017
749 posts
717 upvotes
ips1177 wrote: "why buy this when you can just blablablablabla Raspberry Pi blablablabla save money blablablabla homebrew emulator."

I'm shocked this thread doesn't have Raspberry Pi mentioned yet...

what I'm sayin is....emulation isn't for everyone.
ARM is not MIPS, so this *is* emulation.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)