[Costco] And they are back.... Kirkland Protein Bars $23.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2019 5:34 pm
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2452 posts
1840 upvotes
Clarington
Were people on keto actually eating these things?

These are awful high in protein to be eating on keto.

I guess people don't realize that if you eat too much protein, it will prevent you from getting into ketosis - which is the entire point of the diet.
Jan 23, 2007
136 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Bawler wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 10:20 am

I guess people don't realize that if you eat too much protein, it will prevent you from getting into ketosis - which is the entire point of the diet.
My personal experience, as well as you have enough protien and fibre, it'll keep you feeling full so it'll help you get less calories. That's enough, don't have to be fully ketosis.
Nov 24, 2009
115 posts
173 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
Bawler wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 10:20 am

This is a very much debating point and most recently proven the opposite. Too much protein, in fact, will not prevent you from getting into Ketosis. Ketosis will still occur as long as you are restricting carbohydrates. The conversion from protein to glucose will not result in kicking you out of Ketosis and is a necessary process within your body to maintain some functions that cannot function on ketones. I personally have benefitted from an increase in protein in not only weight loss but also general health and well being.

In the end, the best thing to do is to listen to your body and try variations to see what works for you.

There is a great article here

Although many keto people will stay away from the Kirkland bars and similar bars simply due to the manufacturer ingredients but that is a personal choice.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2452 posts
1840 upvotes
Clarington
fusack wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 10:57 am
This is a very much debating point and most recently proven the opposite. Too much protein, in fact, will not prevent you from getting into Ketosis. Ketosis will still occur as long as you are restricting carbohydrates. The conversion from protein to glucose will not result in kicking you out of Ketosis and is a necessary process within your body to maintain some functions that cannot function on ketones. I personally have benefitted from an increase in protein in not only weight loss but also general health and well being.

In the end, the best thing to do is to listen to your body and try variations to see what works for you.

There is a great article here

Although many keto people will stay away from the Kirkland bars and similar bars simply due to the manufacturer ingredients but that is a personal choice.
I'll take a look at the article when I get home.

All of the medical journals (most of them were about people with epilepsy on keto) that I've read, explicitly state that too much protein will remove the patient from ketosis. So I don't know how highly debated it is...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
1815 posts
1959 upvotes
Edmonton
These taste amazing and my butthole is fine
Jan 16, 2015
28 posts
62 upvotes
Windsor, ON
Was really looking forward to these bars coming back.
Now really looking forward to never having these bars again, tough on the stomach.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2007
1066 posts
875 upvotes
nexuscardguy wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 6:46 am
Suzies Good fats, they are at Real Canadian Superstore and healthy planet, or online https://www.lovegoodfats.ca/

local toronto company amazing bars but priced accordingly to any other "health" bar.

Kirkland are the best bang for your buck but some people are getting serious gas lol, the first time i ate one i was ripping them but now i've settled down.
Those sound pretty good, do you know how much they are at superstore? Amazon has them for 30 a box which is cheaper than their own website.
Sep 13, 2015
398 posts
211 upvotes
nicolascon wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 12:03 pm
Those sound pretty good, do you know how much they are at superstore? Amazon has them for 30 a box which is cheaper than their own website.
same as the website BUT or the longest time RCCS had them for if i recall around 24 bucks, i mean for like a month or so! so hopefully they go back on sale.
Let's Go Buffalo
Oct 6, 2012
91 posts
93 upvotes
KINGSTON
Bawler wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 11:20 am

All of the medical journals (most of them were about people with epilepsy on keto) that I've read, explicitly state that too much protein will remove the patient from ketosis. So I don't know how highly debated it is...
How much is "too much" ?
Dec 13, 2012
733 posts
329 upvotes
TORONTO
Wow. Is everyone getting serious gas after eating these new bars? I used love the old ones and was looking forward to them coming back, but now not so sure after reading RFD feedback
Oct 5, 2008
486 posts
422 upvotes
GTA
Bawler wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 11:20 am

I haven't tried the new version, but the old ones used to increase my blood sugar much more than I expected (I'm type 1 diabetic, so I monitor in pretty closely). It might have been the sugar alcohol, or the excess protein. Even Quest bars affect my blood sugar, but not as much as the Kirkland ones.
Dec 22, 2011
200 posts
72 upvotes
London
These bars are all crap and overpriced. Spend your money on real food. And for anyone who wants to use the "convenience" argument: if you don't have enough time in your day to cook/eat real meals, then you need to refocus what exactly it is that you spend your time on. Its a BS excuse.
Jul 11, 2018
699 posts
498 upvotes
Webkikr wrote:
Dec 13th, 2018 9:13 pm
Whatever it is in the new bars, it's killing everyone around me. I've never had gas like this and it's like something has died around me.

I also feel so bloated that I'm going to explode at times. Costco screws up another great product.
I really want to know if others have had this issue, I didn't realize the bars might be causing this for me as well.

I'd be very sad if it were the bars. It didn't really start for me since I had the bars. When Christmas vacation starts I might isolate the bars and see if it causes gas/bloating still.. if so, taking the rest of the boxes back and done with KS protein bars. Neutral Face
Best deals:
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
3130 posts
267 upvotes
xFRUGALITYx wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 8:59 am
Well depending on the amount of added inulin this will pretty much ruin these bars for my wife and I. Had mission1 new recipe bars a few months ago and had to throw them out due to the inulin causing pretty bad stomach pain.
Just about to post this as well. Haven't had the Kirkland ones yet (I don't think that they are back in NL yet), but I bought a bunch of Mission 1 bars when they were on sale at Walmart and ended up giving them all away, because it made me feel disgusting. It was like a brick in my stomach. If this is going to be the same with the Kirkland ones, it's a huge disappointment. I bought a bunch of Quest bars when they are on sales at supplementsource.ca, and like the One bars from Costco, so as long as I have these options, I'll be fine, but it's too bad.