Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] And they are back.... Kirkland Protein Bars $23.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2019 8:18 am
Jan 3, 2017
54 posts
27 upvotes
I was so excited to read this, i was a huge fan of these bars....until i read the Inulin part.
Health Canada link is a little challenging to navigate: http://webprod.hc-sc.gc.ca/nhpid-bdipsn ... e&lang=eng
Easier read:
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supp ... -and-risks

Excerpt form WebMD
What are the risks of taking inulin?

Side effects.

Avoid chicory if you are allergic to ragweed. It is in the same family. Chicory is also related to chrysanthemums, marigolds, and daisies.

Inulin may also cause:

Bloating
Abdominal cramping
Loose stools
Gas
More frequent bowel movements

Risks. Inulin-type prebiotics are generally recognized as safe. Check with your doctor about taking supplements if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Chicory may also interfere with certain drugs and supplements.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does regulate dietary supplements; however, it treats them like foods rather than medications. Unlike drug manufacturers, the makers of supplements don’t have to show their products are safe or effective before selling them on the market.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1115 posts
238 upvotes
TaurusJudge wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 12:42 pm
I really want to know if others have had this issue, I didn't realize the bars might be causing this for me as well.

I'd be very sad if it were the bars. It didn't really start for me since I had the bars. When Christmas vacation starts I might isolate the bars and see if it causes gas/bloating still.. if so, taking the rest of the boxes back and done with KS protein bars. Neutral Face
I got some from the US a couple of weeks ago, was a gassy for the first couple of days but than it went away. Guessing my stomach figured out how to break it down.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
1698 posts
1832 upvotes
Edmonton
metabrah wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 12:35 pm
These bars are all crap and overpriced. Spend your money on real food. And for anyone who wants to use the "convenience" argument: if you don't have enough time in your day to cook/eat real meals, then you need to refocus what exactly it is that you spend your time on. Its a BS excuse.
Hey "metabrah", why don't you try being a single mother with multiple kids, two jobs to make ends meet and a MIA father for a week, then come tell us whether you still think you know what's best for everyone.
Last edited by Blubbs on Dec 14th, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 12, 2017
32 posts
18 upvotes
Never noticed they were out of stores. Bought a couple of boxes, but realised that was a mistake after the first bite.

What do you guys think about the 'jimmybar' or 'smart for life' protein bars? Hard to find many reviews online
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
2909 posts
12615 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
Bawler wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 10:20 am
Were people on keto actually eating these things?

These are awful high in protein to be eating on keto.

I guess people don't realize that if you eat too much protein, it will prevent you from getting into ketosis - which is the entire point of the diet.
to be on keto your daily carbs intake should exceed the 20g and they should be only from veggies.
Rogers Unlimited Province, 7gb $39/month! Thanks RFD!!
Sep 13, 2015
389 posts
208 upvotes
metabrah wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 12:35 pm
These bars are all crap and overpriced. Spend your money on real food. And for anyone who wants to use the "convenience" argument: if you don't have enough time in your day to cook/eat real meals, then you need to refocus what exactly it is that you spend your time on. Its a BS excuse.
Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy oooooooooooooooooooook $23.99 for 20 bars isn't overpriced. Other "healthy" bars charge upto and over $30 for 12 bars.
Let's Go Buffalo
Jul 11, 2018
699 posts
498 upvotes
nexuscardguy wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 1:18 pm
Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy oooooooooooooooooooook $23.99 for 20 bars isn't overpriced. Other "healthy" bars charge upto and over $30 for 12 bars.
Also, Quest regularly was $36-42 per pack of 12.

I stopped buying their stuff since over the last few years they put Sucralose in all but two flavors.
Best deals:
Sep 13, 2015
389 posts
208 upvotes
TaurusJudge wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 1:21 pm

I stopped buying their stuff since over the last few years they put Sucralose in all but two flavors.
Me too! I started eating Suzies goodfats now just called Love goodfats https://www.lovegoodfats.ca/ local toronto company very very keto friendly.

Sometimes RCCS has a box of 12 on sale for $24
Let's Go Buffalo
Dec 22, 2011
198 posts
67 upvotes
London
nexuscardguy wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 1:18 pm
Any money that you spend of fake-food that comes out of a laboratory is money wasted. If you read my post again, I clearly state that ALL of these bars are crap, regardless of price-point. If you want protein and/or to eat keto, then use that $24 to buy some steak: its real food with real nutritional value.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
3125 posts
264 upvotes
Dum258 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 12:50 pm
Never noticed they were out of stores. Bought a couple of boxes, but realised that was a mistake after the first bite.

What do you guys think about the 'jimmybar' or 'smart for life' protein bars? Hard to find many reviews online
I like both, but my local Costco hasn't carried the Jimmy bar in a while. I found that the Smart For Life bars seem to have changed recently, with more of a rice krispie treat taste and texture to it. I really like the One bars from Costco now as well. Depending on what plan you are on, all of the bars have different net carbs, and even then, most have not so nice stuff in it (Maltitol for example, and some are surprisingly high in sugars), but I've tended to switch between the One and the Smart For Life bars over the last little while. I liked the the Bioprotein ones but I haven't seen them around lately, but they were over 300 calories and I think around 15-20 net carbs (I think it might have been reduced with their latest reformulation). I think they had the most sugar as well. The Pure Protein ones were just okay for me. Good in a pinch but not my favorite.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
3125 posts
264 upvotes
TaurusJudge wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 1:21 pm

What ones don't have the sucralose?
Apr 2, 2010
65 posts
31 upvotes
Edmonton
goozy1 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2018 6:32 pm
Uh. Yes they did. They were pulled out of Costco for over a year for unknown reasons. I've been waiting for them to come back for a while now...
I was told by someone at Costco they were pulled due to packaging issues with the wrapper. I would agree the old wrappers were an issue as they would really stick to the bars and seemed to let the bars dry out very quickly. Very happy they are back!!!!!
Sep 13, 2015
389 posts
208 upvotes
metabrah wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 1:42 pm
Any money that you spend of fake-food that comes out of a laboratory is money wasted. If you read my post again, I clearly state that ALL of these bars are crap, regardless of price-point. If you want protein and/or to eat keto, then use that $24 to buy some steak: its real food with real nutritional value.
I've read your post, "These bars are ALL Crap and overpriced" any normal speaking person would assume your taking about "all" the "crap" in the kirkland bars.

metabrah wrote: ↑ ALL bars are crap and overpriced. Spend your money on real food. And for anyone who wants to use the "convenience" argument: if you don't have enough time in your day to cook/eat real meals, then you need to refocus what exactly it is that you spend your time on. Its a BS excuse.

I went ahead a fixed your post to read as you would like it. Please see Bold word for correction.
Let's Go Buffalo
Jul 11, 2018
276 posts
271 upvotes
Rlcky wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 12:58 pm
to be on keto your daily carbs intake should exceed the 20g and they should be only from veggies.

20 so low for a man, not true so many keto noobs out here.