• Jan 21st, 2019 10:09 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8481 posts
1584 upvotes
Montreal, QC
stovetop wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 11:20 pm
I have a zojirushi from T&T and for some reason, sometimes the lever clicks early and the rice isn't even cooked yet. When i try to click it down again to cook, it doens't stay down. Only when i wait a while can i then click the lever down again. sometimes, the rice cooks perfectly...not sure why.
Magnetic thermostat could be faulty or not enough water, those clicker rice cooker are pretty simple devices and can be repaired by ordering replacement part.

Basically how it works is that once all the water have evaporated, temperature will start to rise and as metal heats up, it becomes less magnetic and trips.

shamans wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 12:10 am
I went to Japan a few years ago and checked out the rice cookers they sell there in a few department stores. This model you're seeing here is like their lowest end model. Their highest end models was over $1000 CAD after currency exchange...that was when the exchange rate was better for CAD too. Their department stores also sell rice cookers for North America (120V) and Europe (220V)....selection is much less...prices are much higher.

I ended up bringing a Japanese rice cooker (100V) that is better than any rice cooker that I've tried.

Instapot is definitely really bad for cooking rice. You get mushy / wet rice...it doesn't matter how you adjust the water ratio really. I mean...if you think about it, you're pressure cooking your rice....why would you actually want that....

Rice in Japanese restaurants comes out really well made. I think it's a combination of the rice grains they use and cooking devices.
The other place that I tasted really yummy rice was in Bali where I took a cooking class with a Balinese family. The rice cooking looked like this:

I cook / eat rice every day. I think the rice we get here in Canada isn't the greatest either. There's some OK brands but lots of bad ones. One time, we ran out of rice and, in a pinch, I tried save-on-foods in-house brand rice (Western Family brand) in a 10 KG bag.....no matter how we cooked it, it came out with a plastic feel to it. We started to think it was fake rice.
The idea of pressure cooking is to increase the water boiling point, so instead of turning into steam and escaping, you can actually speed up cooking by increasing how much heat it can take.
Some of the higher end Zoji and well renowned korean brand Cuckoo uses pressure to cook rice.
Last edited by Daijoubu on Nov 29th, 2018 1:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nov 11, 2008
970 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
Daijoubu wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 12:45 am
The idea of pressure cooking is to increase the water boiling point, so instead of turning into steam and escaping, you can actually speed up cooking by increasing how much heat it can take.
Some of the higher end Zoji and well renowned korean brand Cuckoo uses pressure to cook rice.
You end up with soft and sticky rice: https://instantpot.com/what-are-the-eff ... re-cooker/
That's not what I'd look for unless it's a dessert made from glutinous rice...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8481 posts
1584 upvotes
Montreal, QC
shamans wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 1:00 am
You end up with soft and sticky rice: https://instantpot.com/what-are-the-eff ... re-cooker/
That's not what I'd look for unless it's a dessert made from glutinous rice...
It also says its more nutritious and taste better lol, why would people spend a small fortune on those high end pressure rice cooker if it's not better Winking Face

Also, if you live in high altitude, where the water boiling point is lower, having a pressure cooker helps.
Oct 12, 2008
570 posts
765 upvotes
Markham
There are Asians who prefer their rice a certain way, and cook rice daily. The rice cooker tastes better to their palate, and the convenience is huge when cooking rice is a daily ritual. If you’re not in the target demo, don’t buy it. You’re not somehow smarter or better because a pressure cooker is good enough for your use case.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8481 posts
1584 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I use a Tiger myself, I was just pointing out the flawed reasoning that pressure cooking rice yield to an inferior result, while even higher end rice cookers uses pressure cooking.

https://www.amazon.ca/Cuckoo-Electric-H ... 00XQEM2E4/
https://www.amazon.ca/ZOJIRUSHI-NP-NVC1 ... B009QYC60S

Pressure cooking is specifically beneficial if you eat gaba brown rice, in a regular cooker you usually need to pre-soak 1-2 hours, ok if you're using the timer to cook it later but otherwise would be less than ideal to cook it as is.
Last edited by Daijoubu on Nov 29th, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
7230 posts
2011 upvotes
Oakville/Toronto
Holy frick, getting a bit heated eh? Idk about any of that, my family has always used a rice cooker.

Picked up 2 last night from Yorkdale location, about 10 or so left.
Oct 11, 2016
27 posts
3 upvotes
Anyone know if they have stock at hwy7 and woodbine or 404/elgin locations? TIA
Sep 9, 2018
60 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
smellykiwi wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 12:29 pm
Anyone know if they have stock at hwy7 and woodbine or 404/elgin locations? TIA
None at Woodbine/7
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2604 posts
545 upvotes
Vancouver
shamans wrote:
I went to Japan a few years ago and checked out the rice cookers they sell there in a few department stores. This model you're seeing here is like their lowest end model. Their highest end models was over $1000 CAD after currency exchange...that was when the exchange rate was better for CAD too. Their department stores also sell rice cookers for North America (120V) and Europe (220V)....selection is much less...prices are much higher.

I ended up bringing a Japanese rice cooker (100V) that is better than any rice cooker that I've tried.

Instapot is definitely really bad for cooking rice. You get mushy / wet rice...it doesn't matter how you adjust the water ratio really. I mean...if you think about it, you're pressure cooking your rice....why would you actually want that....

Rice in Japanese restaurants comes out really well made. I think it's a combination of the rice grains they use and cooking devices.
The other place that I tasted really yummy rice was in Bali where I took a cooking class with a Balinese family. The rice cooking looked like this:

I cook / eat rice every day. I think the rice we get here in Canada isn't the greatest either. There's some OK brands but lots of bad ones. One time, we ran out of rice and, in a pinch, I tried save-on-foods in-house brand rice (Western Family brand) in a 10 KG bag.....no matter how we cooked it, it came out with a plastic feel to it. We started to think it was fake rice.
OK, so that begs the question -- which rice brands do you prefer for consistency/taste?
Oct 17, 2010
250 posts
120 upvotes
Vancouver
jumpingThrill wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 8:02 pm
I wish the inner pot was stainless steel. but I never find any Tiger rice cookers have stainless steel inner pots.
Good point. There must be a reason to it.
Oct 17, 2010
250 posts
120 upvotes
Vancouver
shamans wrote:
I did that too. Ended up I'm having little problems here and there. At a few occasion it wouldn't even start it kept giving me an error message. Reason being 110v vs 100v so i was told. I will use my current cooker until it stopped working and I will get a NA version instead that made specifically for 110v. There are some big electronic chain stores that sells 110v in tokyo made in Japan.
Oct 17, 2010
250 posts
120 upvotes
Vancouver
Bishop8 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 1:47 pm
OK, so that begs the question -- which rice brands do you prefer for consistency/taste?
I normally get the ox head brand. jasmine rice from Thailand.

for Japanese rice I get koshihikari from cali.

Both available at T&T
Images
  • 81JOrQiRLqL._SY550_.jpg
  • download.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8481 posts
1584 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Tobsterboi wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 2:46 pm
Good point. There must be a reason to it.
Tooling, working with stainless steel is not the same as aluminum,
Also, stainless isn't that good at heat transfer, thus either the bottom need to have a copper base or to be a multi layered construction ($$)
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
51 posts
146 upvotes
shamans wrote:

get a load of this guy
Dec 25, 2007
37 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Plenty left in Vaughan (55 New Huntington location)
Images
  • 20181129_184551.jpg