[Costco] Tiger 4 in 1 rice cooker (made in Japan) $139.97 (regular $199.99) Hot

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2019 10:09 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2003
1221 posts
193 upvotes
Aurora, ON
The weekly deals flyer doesn't say this rice cooker is on sale. Multiple posted images of the price tag do not show that this is a sale or clearance price. Why are people going bananas over this price? Where (except in the OP's post) does it say that the price will go up on Dec 3rd?

I'm not asking whether the price is decent or not, I'm asking where does it say it's on sale at this price for a limited time?
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
3968 posts
1279 upvotes
LarryLat wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 6:55 pm
The weekly deals flyer doesn't say this rice cooker is on sale. Multiple posted images of the price tag do not show that this is a sale or clearance price. Why are people going bananas over this price? Where (except in the OP's post) does it say that the price will go up on Dec 3rd?

I'm not asking whether the price is decent or not, I'm asking where does it say it's on sale at this price for a limited time?
prices ending with .97 is for clearances
price will not go back up but stores aren't getting any more stock.

btw, it looked like you were accusing OP of lying.. just saying.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
3966 posts
672 upvotes
Wat
Anyone know if Waterloo costco has these? I don't think I saw them when I was there yesterday.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5890 posts
4268 upvotes
North York
LarryLat wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 6:55 pm
Calm down hot shot.

Everyone on RFD should, by now, know:
1. Not all Costco will carry the same stuff, even if they are in the same province or city. For example, my Costco in Burlington never carried any Moon Cakes, but my other Richmond Hill always does every year.
2. Anything ending in 97 is store clearance, and not all stores' manager treat clearances equally.

If OP posted a pic of it, then it is real, somewhere. And as it is a 97 item, it will go on until all items are sold, with a possibility of further price reduction until then
Dec 24, 2011
58 posts
34 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
In fact it is not worth the money. Rice taste is a very localized thing, different people usually prefer different taste. In Japan rice has a special status among their food and they are obsessed with it, almost becomes a ritual. So rice cookers have to be expensive, to reflect rice's status.

But it is not necessary to be good, nor it can cook rice to your taste. The preferred taste of cooked rice in north America is different from Japan.
Oct 12, 2008
570 posts
765 upvotes
Markham
fastdown wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 8:51 pm
In fact it is not worth the money. Rice taste is a very localized thing, different people usually prefer different taste. In Japan rice has a special status among their food and they are obsessed with it, almost becomes a ritual. So rice cookers have to be expensive, to reflect rice's status.

But it is not necessary to be good, nor it can cook rice to your taste. The preferred taste of cooked rice in north America is different from Japan.
Rice isn't just a Japanese thing. You acknowledge people have different taste, but can't wrap your head around the concept that some people actually would prefer rice cooker made rice, hence making the rice cooker potentially worth the money?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8447 posts
1557 upvotes
Montreal, QC
The truth is, when I first got my Tiger, I couldn't tell that much of a difference vs my cheap Tatung, took much longer to cook rice because of micom...
As long as you buy decent quality rice and use the correct amount of water, perhaps a fuzzy logic rice cooker is more forgiving... for those who uses too much/too little water, the finger is NOT an accurate measurement device contrary to what the elders make us believe. 🤣

But the other cooking modes and timer functions are nice to have features.
Dec 24, 2011
58 posts
34 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Rice itself has so many different kinds, like Thai rice, Japanese rice, Indian rice ..., they all taste differently and require different cooking settings. One rice cooker is usually optimized for one specific rice (probably Japanese rice cooker), or set to compromise for a basket rices (probably instant pot). So you see contradictory claims for those rice cookers, actually they all tell the truth. The preferred taste of rice really depends on what kind of rice, and what you like. Japanese rice cooker may not be the best for you if you prefer Thai rice.

Besides we don't have Japanese grown rice here, which is very expensive. Buying this rice cooker may just mean you pay premium for the Japanese rice ritual if you don't prefer their flavor. There are so many variables in rice cooking that one specific rice cooker can't satisfy all definitely.
[OP]
Oct 10, 2014
80 posts
80 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
def47 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 6:58 pm
prices ending with .97 is for clearances
price will not go back up but stores aren't getting any more stock.

btw, it looked like you were accusing OP of lying.. just saying.
I have been waiting this for last 2yrs and this is the first time it is on clearance. Thanks Konsensei and you for pointing that outGrinning Face
Last edited by Hamdeals on Nov 30th, 2018 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 20, 2015
19 posts
1 upvote
Westmount, QC
mqc1986 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 9:00 am
Different model. Costco one is JAX-R18U.
Almost same features but the hood looks different... not sure which one is better
May 17, 2012
441 posts
266 upvotes
Montreal
dealneeded wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 9:23 am
Almost same features but the hood looks different... not sure which one is better
The one from Bestbuy in your link is an "older" model, without a detachable lid and steam cap for cleaning. Also the costco one has a detachable power cord, whereas the best buy one doesn't. Both likely get the job done similarly however as part of the same "Series" (both micom). The Costco one is also slightly less ugly :)
Last edited by bennyboy84 on Nov 30th, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 20, 2015
19 posts
1 upvote
Westmount, QC
bennyboy84 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 9:31 am
The one from Bestbuy in your link is an "older" model, without a detachable lid and steam cap for cleaning. Also the costco one has a detachable power cord, whereas the best buy one doesn't. Both likely get the job done similarly however as part of the same "Series" (both micom (fuzzy logic), the Costco one is also slightly less ugly :)
Thank you for the details .... Now feel better... I also bought a Costco version 3 days ago. :)