[Costco] Tire installation - lifetime rotation and balancing is back

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2019 6:16 pm
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
523 posts
143 upvotes

[Costco] Tire installation - lifetime rotation and balancing is back

Just noticed Costco raised the tire installation fee to 19.99/tire recently (it was $15/tire previously), but I read the description, it actually includes the lifetime rotation and balancing as supposed to only repair and hazard protection plan previously. Costco had lifetime rotation while ago but they removed it, I bought three sets of winter tires in last several years, they didn't give the free rotation since then.
Now they put it back again, it seems to be worth paying the extra $5, consider you change the winter tires every season, potentially you save buying the rims. Of course, you have to buy the tire from Costco.

163 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2006
3194 posts
281 upvotes
Any good rims deal? I bought tires yesterday.
====================================
Jul 21, 2013
602 posts
249 upvotes
Calgary
Lol no thanks, make an appointment 2 months in advance just to wait 4 hours for them to do it.. In Calgary Costco's tire centers are the worst.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
10146 posts
7442 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
We bought a new set of tires from Costco a few years back
They came with Installation, Rotation, Balancing & Free Nitogen fill ups for the life of the tires

So not only did they at the time have the cheapest tires around
(Apples to Apples ... even when compared to Tire Rack, US options etc)
We are still enjoying these extras

Was a great purchase for us
Highly recommend buying tires at Costco
Jun 9, 2019
131 posts
139 upvotes
The description doesn't cover the cost of future installations, so I'm not sure how you additionally save any costs years down the line.
Jul 12, 2008
80 posts
121 upvotes
Calgary
kunamvahees wrote:
Oct 14th, 2019 10:04 am
Ohh boy...
I just brought my first set of tires from Costco after seeing the hot deal on here (1 cent install & 70 dollar promo card), after waiting 3 weeks for shipping, another week for a available appointment, it's not worth my time.

The time spent calling and waiting is madness. Now I have to fight thru the madness again because my tires weren't balanced properly. As cliche as it sounds, time is money.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
1744 posts
485 upvotes
Mississauga
hiker007 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2019 9:54 am
Just noticed Costco raised the tire installation fee to 19.99/tire recently (it was $15/tire previously), but I read the description, it actually includes the lifetime rotation and balancing as supposed to only repair and hazard protection plan previously. Costco had lifetime rotation while ago but they removed it, I bought three sets of winter tires in last several years, they didn't give the free rotation since then.
Now they put it back again, it seems to be worth paying the extra $5, consider you change the winter tires every season, potentially you save buying the rims. Of course, you have to buy the tire from Costco.

You still need rims.. they don't say they would re-install your tires on rims every season.. just balancing and rotation.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17038 posts
4779 upvotes
Toronto
It was always free rotation and balancing for the life of the tire.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7632 posts
2811 upvotes
Markham
TLSRULZ wrote:
Oct 14th, 2019 10:16 am
You still need rims.. they don't say they would re-install your tires on rims every season.. just balancing and rotation.
Just curious but a rotation is technically not a seasonal changeover...or is it?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Sep 13, 2019
55 posts
60 upvotes
I only have one set of rims. And each year Costco did the winter tire change I think all the services are included. 4 dollars price-rise is nothing compared to long waiting time.
Jan 22, 2019
187 posts
143 upvotes
From what I remember, Costco only mount and balances tires they sell to you. Unless that's changed or it's dependent on location.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17840 posts
2455 upvotes
Langley
They will not do seasonal tire changes for free.

As far as I know, they've always had free rotations with balance checks for the life of the tires. But they will not remove and reinstall tires from rims each season.

I purchased my tires in 2013 and I've been back many times for rotation and balance checks, so this is certainly not a new thing. But I only have one set of tires, they are AT truck tires that are winter rated.
Nov 9, 2013
667 posts
190 upvotes
Vancouver
Rotation ≠ Seasonal Swap.

Nothing has changed except the install price went up a few dollars. Lifetime rotation and balancing never went away and you do still pay to do a seasonal swap.
Dec 18, 2004
105 posts
22 upvotes
I believe about a year ago Costco changed their policy for non-Costco tires. At first they only dealt with Costco tires but then they relaxed it to welcome everyone, but now they have gone back to only Costco tires. The last time I went for balancing they said they would do it that time but not again.

For this deal the only thing that changed is the price. Maybe due to minimum wage pushing wages up? Still pretty good deal though with the warranty. I just change my own in winter / summer to avoid the waits.

Thread Information

There are currently 6 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 6 guests)