Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1451 posts
130 upvotes

Costco Tire Mounting

Hey folks,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if Costco does tire mounting and balancing for tires not purchased at Costco. Does anyone know how much they charge if they do offer this service?

I purchased some tires in the US and brought them back up to Canada and would like to get them installed this next weekend. I know Fountain Tire charges around $125 and I figured Costco might be a bit cheaper (and hopefully I could get it done while doing some shopping if I get to the store right as they open.)

Thanks.
21 replies
Aug 10, 2008
891 posts
55 upvotes
officially, they don't installed tires that were not purchased from them

however, you could squeeze-in the job, let's say you bring the car to Costco for an oil change and mention that by the way, I need to have the tires mounted as well. Most of the time, they will accept to do it because they don't want to lose your business for the oil change.

If you bring the car just for the tires, they will refuse

mounting the tires and balancing at costco is $16 for all 4 tires.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1451 posts
130 upvotes
Cool, thanks for the response manteiv.

I do need my oil changed so I will see if they can do that for me. I actually didn't know that Costco did oil changes. I thought they only did tire service.

If the price for mounting and balancing is $16 for all 4 wheels that is a lot cheaper than tire shops. I'm assuming there will be an additional $5 per tire for environmental fees/taxes.
Jun 25, 2007
368 posts
7 upvotes
Hmm, good to know. $16 for the set is so cheap! I guess I will have to try that squeeze-in job trick. Maybe if I go there on a less busy day, they'll less likely to refuse the mount/balance tag along...?
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4673 posts
718 upvotes
BC
I think you will find that Costco charges $6 per wheel/tire assembly change when not associated with tire purchase.

That is, removing a wheel and putting a different one on, assuming balancing is not required, as in fall and spring changeover, or rotations not covered with tire purchase.

If they were to change tires on rims and include balancing for $16 for all 4 wheels, for tires purchased elsewhere, it wouldn't make any business sense at all.

The lowest cost at most places would be $5 to dismount a tire from a rim, $5 to mount a different tire, $8 - $12 for balancing.
So figure more like $70 for all four tires mounted on new rims, $90 if old tires need to be dismounted.
Higher costs for rims that require special handling, and also for advanced balancing procedures.

So if Costco can do it for even $40 as a membership benefit, that would be a good deal - providing they don't skimp on the balancing.

Some RFD members in previous threads have really confused the issue by:
- not being clear on the difference between moving tire/wheel assemblies around on a vehicle (quite straightforward and a potential DIY), and,
- mounting and demounting tires from rims (you sometimes get what you pay for in terms of the job being done right)
Dec 17, 2006
513 posts
45 upvotes
It cost $11/tire for mounting & balancing at costco. It's $6/tire to swap from all season to snow if the tires are on rims. They don't care if tires are from costco or not.
Jul 11, 2007
130 posts
8 upvotes
zombie999 wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2009 2:27 am
It cost $11/tire for mounting & balancing at costco. It's $6/tire to swap from all season to snow if the tires are on rims. They don't care if tires are from costco or not.
they just refused me earlier today because i did not purchase tire from them, did you use "oil change" or simply ask for tire installation? need to tire replaced soon. i want to use costco because i think they do a good job and using torque wrench.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
1223 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga
$15per tire for New Tire Install
$6 per tire for season exchange if tire is already on a rim...
$11 per tire for a season exchange if tire is not on a rim....

There policy whether they choose to follow it is.... they will not install tirespruchases from another store on to your vehicle. If you are swapping seasonal tires. 1 set MUST be bought from Costco.

Thats what I was told when I was there doing a swap last week.
Sep 14, 2007
71 posts
1 upvote
Markham
Scott84 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2009 12:49 am

There policy whether they choose to follow it is.... they will not install tirespruchases from another store on to your vehicle. If you are swapping seasonal tires. 1 set MUST be bought from Costco.

Thats what I was told when I was there doing a swap last week.
I tried getting a set of tires swapped last year at the Markham/14th location (neither set was purchased from Costco) and they wouldn't do it.
Dec 17, 2006
513 posts
45 upvotes
gogozy wrote:
Nov 30th, 2009 11:36 pm
they just refused me earlier today because i did not purchase tire from them, did you use "oil change" or simply ask for tire installation? need to tire replaced soon. i want to use costco because i think they do a good job and using torque wrench.
Interesting. They didn't tell me about it when I inquired about the cost.

I did swap mine (+ oil change) last week and they did ask if the tires where purchased trough Costco. One set IS from Costco but...how would they be able to tell? They didn't ask for a receipt and I changed my membership number since I got them. Unless ALL tires they sell are specially marked and/or exclusive to Costco??
Aug 6, 2004
976 posts
47 upvotes
I inquired about buying a set of rims from Costco and having them installed, balanced and mounted (using a set of tires I bought elsewhere) and they said they would charge $15 per tire on top of the price of the rims.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7524 posts
372 upvotes
Scott84 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2009 12:49 am
+1 on your pricing.

Costco installed my winters that I purchased elsewhere no questions asked. :)
Jul 11, 2007
130 posts
8 upvotes
zombie999 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2009 8:15 am
Interesting. They didn't tell me about it when I inquired about the cost.

I did swap mine (+ oil change) last week and they did ask if the tires where purchased trough Costco. One set IS from Costco but...how would they be able to tell? They didn't ask for a receipt and I changed my membership number since I got them. Unless ALL tires they sell are specially marked and/or exclusive to Costco??
thanks for quick reply.
they did not tell me when i ask about price and line up for the tire, and this policy is not list anywhere in the web nor store. i purchase my membership, walk to the tire centre, and bam, they said they wont do it for me because i did not purchase tire from them. :mad:
now i have to find alternative installer, good work with reasonable price (CTC near my home off the list).
Oct 27, 2005
567 posts
2 upvotes
gogozy wrote:
Dec 1st, 2009 11:04 am
thanks for quick reply.
they did not tell me when i ask about price and line up for the tire, and this policy is not list anywhere in the web nor store. i purchase my membership, walk to the tire centre, and bam, they said they wont do it for me because i did not purchase tire from them. :mad:
now i have to find alternative installer, good work with reasonable price (CTC near my home off the list).
Try a different Costco. I didn't buy my tires there and they will install for $15 per tire as a previous poster stated. I asked him about some Costco stores refusing (I was just there now) and he guy in the tire centre said he'd never heard of anything like that.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
1223 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga
GTE3 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2009 2:02 am
I tried getting a set of tires swapped last year at the Markham/14th location (neither set was purchased from Costco) and they wouldn't do it.
Yeah, so what I said in my post was correct.

One set has to be purchases through costco.

I had to wait in line very early just to get them swapped. Im GLAD that they limit to who can get their tires installed. Anyone that has had them installed at the heartland location knows the line ups are huge.
× < >