Travel

costco travel, car rental for Canadian residents?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2014 11:43 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 23, 2005
466 posts
19 upvotes
Hawkesbury

costco travel, car rental for Canadian residents?

We are going to Vegas, end of june and the best price I have found for car rental is on the US costco travel site. When I go to book, it says you must be a US resident.

Anyone done this before without a US address?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2594 posts
860 upvotes
gerrythegreat wrote:
May 20th, 2013 10:10 am
We are going to Vegas, end of june and the best price I have found for car rental is on the US costco travel site. When I go to book, it says you must be a US resident.

Yes, Costco is restrictive if you are Canadian. For Vegas, I see they have a 3 day pass
http://www.costco.ca/Las-Vegas-3-day-Po ... 10865.html
but not for travel.
May 28, 2012
8891 posts
1510 upvotes
Saskatoon
gerrythegreat wrote:
May 20th, 2013 10:10 am

Open up a travel account with Costco.com. You can rent vehicles but you won't be able to buy flight packages or rent hotels without a US address. You will need to input your Costco membership number when you set up the account. I have rented cars through the .com site in Hawaii with no issues.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5928 posts
643 upvotes
Ajax
Has anyone with a Canadian Costco membership rented a car thorough Costcotravel.com and picked up the car at an Ontario location for a trip to Florida or US in general and back. The terms and conditions are kind of ambiguous. Budget rep. says it is fine.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2915 posts
267 upvotes
Get the discount code and coupon code (if applicable) from Costcotravel.com, book directly on the car rental agency's website. Easy. :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5928 posts
643 upvotes
Ajax
Tried it. The booking goes through the Costcotravel.com website and no codes show (unlike if you book from the Canadian Costco site).

Can I unthank you...lol
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4520 posts
261 upvotes
Victoria
I've never had an issue booking cars on the us site ever. Do it all the time.
Mar 22, 2006
902 posts
102 upvotes
bobcat99 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2014 12:05 pm
Tried it. The booking goes through the Costcotravel.com website and no codes show (unlike if you book from the Canadian Costco site).

Can I unthank you...lol
Once the rates show up, just click on Term & Conditions and the discount code will show up. Alternatively, just click on the Rental Car tab and pick the company and the code will show up - such as
http://www.costcotravel.com/Rental-Cars/Alamo
ontract ID: 7014627
CouponCode: ADF824NAD
Banned
Aug 9, 2005
1478 posts
229 upvotes
thanks for the idea but going through costcotravel I still ended up cheaper with Costco.ca for car rental quotes.
Is it really so hard to just be humble and nice? Turn the web around and it starts with you
Banned
Aug 9, 2005
1478 posts
229 upvotes
thanks for the idea but going through costcotravel I still ended up cheaper with Costco.ca for car rental quotes for me
Is it really so hard to just be humble and nice? Turn the web around and it starts with you
May 28, 2012
8891 posts
1510 upvotes
Saskatoon
Geil wrote:
Apr 10th, 2014 4:16 pm
thanks for the idea but going through costcotravel I still ended up cheaper with Costco.ca for car rental quotes.
Keep checking both sites up until a few weeks before you leave...from my experience, it fluctuates. I make a booking and when the price goes down, I book it and then cancel the older one. The American site has always been cheaper for me, but I haven't rented in a year or so.
Banned
Aug 9, 2005
1478 posts
229 upvotes
I am only renting a car for 3 days. In my search prices through priceline, travelocity etc seems to be $46 for full-size. Priceline shows that successful past bids were around $23 but my routing didn't allow bids, maybe because of different starting and end point? Costcotravel ended up to be at around $35 a day and for whatever reason Costco.ca budget gave me 23 a day and I still get a free upgrade coupon to use on the day if they have stock so I am fairly happy. For now I have to focus my attention on finding a last minute deal on the more expensive portion of my trip but costcotravel and costco.ca will be my go to points from now on and I won;t waste my time on anything else in the future :P
× < >