Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

VHS TO DVD service for $17.99USD

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2016 7:18 pm
Tags:
Nov 23, 2010
481 posts
325 upvotes
Montreal

[Costco] VHS TO DVD service for $17.99USD

Costco now has the service for helping you to transfer your VHS to DVD for $17.99 Only !!Not sure if they have run this service for the long time, but I just saw the recent newsletter from them that they are having a promotion for this !!
49 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2207 posts
692 upvotes
Toronto
Wow and I thought $18 was expensive. Thinking about those few home videos that are worth hanging on to.. No idea where to find them though
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12700 posts
15951 upvotes
watchful wrote: You just just buy this bundle kit here and do it yourself http://www.primecables.com/p-347508-cab ... ersion-kit
there is no need for you go Costco to do that, based on what I have known, they are counting by the tapes you had to charge the price, it is not really worth it !
Actually its by hours. If you have 2 tapes and its under 2 hours, they charge the posted rate. If is like 2 1/2 hours then you need 2 dvds which is 2x the price.
I had it done before and they could not fit the two tapes onto one dvd so they charged me 2x the price.
Have a nice day!

Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2010
3763 posts
1545 upvotes
Montreal
So expensive ... I'm glad I got the toshiba vhs to dvd that does the job. It's recommended if you can still find it in store.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2010
1255 posts
814 upvotes
Canada
If want to do it cheap then get a eascap usb capture card for under $10
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Just did this over the winter, after being on the to do list for like 10 years. Had the equipment for it for years, just never did anything. Used the Dazzle convertor and had an old VHS lying around. Had like 20 tapes dating back to 1990 to convert. From the looks of it saved myself a lot of money.

Totally RAW data file is almost 30GB per 2 hour tape, double backed up, and will edit them some day. Most of the tapes were still good, well as good as they could be for 25 years old. Some audio crackle occasionaly when tracking needed to be done.

While I didn't watch them all, I did watch them here and there as they were recording. High school, kids first being born, my wedding, party videos. Seeing my dad in some was hard since he passed away this year.

Handy little tool to have, simple to use. I didn't pay that much for mine, mine was an open box at Futureshop like 5 or more years ago.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pinnacle-da ... Id=1593161
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3991 posts
1127 upvotes
Toronto
zoso454 wrote: If want to do it cheap then get a eascap usb capture card for under $10
this.

i use that myself and i have backed up all family videos. i had to borrow a VCR from my retired uncle though
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
2332 posts
710 upvotes
Alberta
Man, that seems expensive.
Dad bought a DVD recorder with the plan to convert our old VHS home movies, but still hasn't gotten around to it. Luckly, we still have 1 or 2 working VHS players. Real time recording...that's the time consuming part.
Nov 23, 2014
11 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
LonesomeDove wrote: Actually its by hours. If you have 2 tapes and its under 2 hours, they charge the posted rate. If is like 2 1/2 hours then you need 2 dvds which is 2x the price.
I had it done before and they could not fit the two tapes onto one dvd so they charged me 2x the price.
Yeah, I haven't thought that this is not included the DVD fee plus the 2 hours time ! That's why I think that it would be a better idea if we can buy the equipment and just DIY ourself!
Jan 1, 2002
110 posts
15 upvotes
Coquitlam (Vancouver…
There are lots of free or $5-10 VCRs on Craigslist. I just got through doing 34 VHS tapes spanning the entire childhood for myself and my siblings. It's recommended to get a newer (4-head, or even better an SVHS unit!) as they had much better electronics and usually offer an s-video output for a much cleaner signal to your capture card/device.

I used an ATi Theatre 550 Pro PCI-Express card, but the external USB ones work just fine. Most modern PCs are capable of quite a bit of transcoding in real-time, which really cuts down on your storage requirements. My 'master' captures are 1.7GB per 2hr VHS tape, and the adaptive de-interlacing, re-sizing, temporal smoothing, along with x264 video encoding and MP3 audio encoding all done in realtime on my quad core Intel Core i7-2500k.

I used the Virtualdub application and did everything completely in software, but most modern CPUs and video cards support hardware accelerated video encoding as well (Intel QuickSync, etc.) - I didn't bother, because doing everything in real-time only took about 1.5-2 of my four available cores on average. (I had more than enough CPU power to burn)

You'll have to do a little Googling, but there are free mp3 and x264 encoders available that will get the job done.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
7618 posts
5700 upvotes
Ottawa
I have many hi8 vhs, my sony cam was dead, but it's PAL system from china, they can do that?
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11150 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC
None talks about quality of said transfert?
How about using SVIDEO capable VHS for extra resolution and color separations?
How's the compression quality of the MPEG2 stream?

If I were to rip on PC, maybe rip to x264
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
lol there are still VHS's left to convert?

call me surprised, figured people who actually care enough to keep stuff like that would have done so by now, its been how long
Feb 3, 2008
189 posts
209 upvotes
Montreal
what about beta? my dad was a pioneer

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)