Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Vizio PQ65-F1 $2,999 @ Costco Online

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2019 5:38 pm
Dec 7, 2012
339 posts
313 upvotes
BC
Asher wrote: I think you answered it right there. Costco is not the manufacturer, Vizio is. And Vizio's warranty is 1 year. ciuvak was correct, in year 2, both Cap1 and Costco warranties are in effect.
This is the truth right here. It is clearly defined in the policy of Capital One concerning extending the warranty, and I'd suggest that other credit cards are likely the same; make sure you do your research people so you aren't expecting coverage you aren't likely to get.

Here is the verbiage in question that outlines my conclusion:

First, from Capital One:
Extended Warranty
When you use your Capital One card to purchase most personal items (and the full cost of the item is charged to your card), Extended Warranty coverage automatically doubles the original manufacturer’s warranty for up to two years.
How does Capital One define an original manufacturer's warranty? As follows:
Original manufacturer's warranty means an express written warranty valid in Canada and issued by the original manufacturer of personal property, excluding any extended warranty offered by the manufacturer or any third party.
The important bit is right here: excluding any extended warranty offered by the manufacturer or any third party. A third party in this case would be Costco.

Next, from Costco:
2nd YEAR WARRANTY
Costco extends the manufacturer's warranty on televisions, projectors, major appliances and computers (excluding tablets) to 2 years from the date of purchase if the manufacturer's warranty is less than 2 years.
So, if you trace this back: Costco extends the manufacturer's warranty to 2 years. As noted in our first definition above, Capital One automatically doubles the original manufacturer's warranty (defined to be 1 year, as outlined in our second definition above), for up to 2 years. Thus it can be concluded that both Capital One's extension of the original warranty and Costco's extension of the original warranty cover the same period of time, resulting in a total of 2 years of warranty coverage.
Dec 7, 2012
339 posts
313 upvotes
BC
Does anyone have a suggestion for a well-priced wall mount that won't tilt downward under the weight of the TV?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
A couple of facts for folks.

1) I believe Costco's Warranty is 2 Years (1 Year Manufacturer's + 1 Year MasterCard Extension)
2) Costco Extended Warranty adds 3 Years = 5 Years Total
3) Primecables.ca is usually good for things like mounts and cables.

Keep those webpage monitoring scripts active folks, you'll want to monitor the PQ65 page for revival and restock.

God bless.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1794 posts
338 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: A couple of facts for folks.

1) I believe Costco's Warranty is 2 Years (1 Year Manufacturer's + 1 Year MasterCard Extension)
2) Costco Extended Warranty adds 3 Years = 5 Years Total
3) Primecables.ca is usually good for things like mounts and cables.

Keep those webpage monitoring scripts active folks, you'll want to monitor the PQ65 page for revival and restock.

God bless.
I would question point one because not everyone will pay with the Costco Mc yet they will still be covered for 2 years.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
jindogae wrote: I would question point one because not everyone will pay with the Costco Mc yet they will still be covered for 2 years.
Yes, I don't know precisely how they rig the system to make everyone get 2 years.... I stand by points 2 and 3 though. I was told in my Costco, back when I was in Calgary, that the 2nd year extension came from using my Mastercard... but they may have been mistaken.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Dec 3, 2008
44 posts
11 upvotes
Does the PQ support HDR10+ ? Or have any plans to add support?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
bjohannes wrote: Does the PQ support HDR10+ ? Or have any plans to add support?
Dolby Vision, it supports Dolby Vision.

And to be frank, it's far more widely adopted and very much comparable to HDR10+. It's the only high-end QLED to support Dolby Vision... in Canada.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4578 posts
1999 upvotes
AB
Do you already have media that is in HDR10+ to test the playback?
Dec 3, 2008
44 posts
11 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Dolby Vision, it supports Dolby Vision.

And to be frank, it's far more widely adopted and very much comparable to HDR10+. It's the only high-end QLED to support Dolby Vision... in Canada.
Totally get that, just curious to know if all formats are covered. DV is the superior HDR format, and I believe Amazon Video is the only place to find HDR10+ at the moment.
Dec 7, 2012
339 posts
313 upvotes
BC
jindogae wrote: I would question point one because not everyone will pay with the Costco Mc yet they will still be covered for 2 years.
Costco's standard warranty is 2 years. You don't need to use their MasterCard to get 2 years of coverage. Half-way down this page states that the 2 year warranty is standard.
Nov 9, 2018
17 posts
8 upvotes
ciuvak wrote: Some cards will do 2 years max, on top of the original warranty, if it is 2 years, too. So the total will be 4 years.
It’s 1 year manufacturer + 1 year Costco concierge + (if you decide to get it for $99) 3 years square trade warranty for a total of 5 years. I’d advise a 5 year warranty for this product.
Nov 9, 2018
17 posts
8 upvotes
The PQ supports Dolbyvision, HDR10 and hybrid log gamma (HLG). HLG is broadcasting done in HDR.
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11907 posts
1734 upvotes
GVR
Kensingtonwick wrote: It’s 1 year manufacturer + 1 year Costco concierge + (if you decide to get it for $99) 3 years square trade warranty for a total of 5 years. I’d advise a 5 year warranty for this product.
Curious - what sort of things would happen after 2 years that didn't happen in the first 6 months? I get that it's piece of mind, but these aren't designed to just break, unless vizio is using bad components? It does seem their QC could be improved, at least...
Nov 9, 2018
17 posts
8 upvotes
Kaitlyn wrote: Curious - what sort of things would happen after 2 years that didn't happen in the first 6 months? I get that it's piece of mind, but these aren't designed to just break, unless vizio is using bad components? It does seem their QC could be improved, at least...
Simply put...sometimes technology just breaks lol. It’s a safe and cost efficient bet to be covered for a full 5 years for $99. Unless you want to roll the dice and be covered for only 2 years for free.
Dec 7, 2012
339 posts
313 upvotes
BC
Kensingtonwick wrote: Simply put...sometimes technology just breaks lol. It’s a safe and cost efficient bet to be covered for a full 5 years for $99. Unless you want to roll the dice and be covered for only 2 years for free.
I'm likely to purchase the extra three years as well. Costco covers a lot of extras with their warranty, such as failure due to power surges, mechanical and electrical issues (even due to normal wear and tear), internal heat, dust, and humidity, and pixel burnouts. That is a lot of peace of mind over the next 5 years for only ~4.5% the cost of the TV.
Oct 16, 2018
155 posts
178 upvotes
HDR10+ is a format developed by Samsung and currently only exists on Samsung and Panasonic TVs.
Dec 3, 2008
44 posts
11 upvotes
My online PQ order just shipped! No sign of the tv in East Gwillimbury Costco this morning.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
3130 posts
655 upvotes
Mississauga
redflagdealsguy wrote: Yes, I don't know precisely how they rig the system to make everyone get 2 years.... I stand by points 2 and 3 though. I was told in my Costco, back when I was in Calgary, that the 2nd year extension came from using my Mastercard... but they may have been mistaken.
The "2 years of warranty from Costco" was something that happened when they clamped down on people returning 7-year-old CRTs over a decade ago. Instead of allowing people carte blanche on that return, they changed the return policy to 90-days and added an extra year of warranty. This was, because at that time, Costco was often bring brand name sets up from the States (i.e., grey market). I don't believe this is the case any longer, however, they've kept that 2-year warranty policy which is where you deal with them.

So, the first two years are via Costco. Second three years are the money you pay for the additional warranty. If you're using a card, the second year is usually through that if you have said coverage.

End of the day, Costco has your back for two-years. From the website: "Costco extends the manufacturer's warranty on televisions, projectors, major appliances and computers (excluding tablets) to 2 years from the date of purchase if the manufacturer's warranty is less than 2 years." So, no, you don't get a third year by using a credit card. Costco doubles it. Credit Card doubles it. Costco offers this at the point of sale so the first two years is through Costco Concierge.

I think this resolves that.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
adrianf74 wrote: The "2 years of warranty from Costco" was something that happened when they clamped down on people returning 7-year-old CRTs over a decade ago. Instead of allowing people carte blanche on that return, they changed the return policy to 90-days and added an extra year of warranty. This was, because at that time, Costco was often bring brand name sets up from the States (i.e., grey market). I don't believe this is the case any longer, however, they've kept that 2-year warranty policy which is where you deal with them.

So, the first two years are via Costco. Second three years are the money you pay for the additional warranty. If you're using a card, the second year is usually through that if you have said coverage.

End of the day, Costco has your back for two-years. From the website: "Costco extends the manufacturer's warranty on televisions, projectors, major appliances and computers (excluding tablets) to 2 years from the date of purchase if the manufacturer's warranty is less than 2 years." So, no, you don't get a third year by using a credit card. Costco doubles it. Credit Card doubles it. Costco offers this at the point of sale so the first two years is through Costco Concierge.

I think this resolves that.
I'm too naive about Costco warranty to rebut any of your claims, and your language is sophisticated enough to sound convincing. I'm with you.
Oct 30, 2018
24 posts
14 upvotes
I've got the PQ65 and the LG C8 side by side at the moment, and I've gotta say, these really go head to head. In most "normal" HDR scenes, you absolutely cannot tell a difference between the two. In dark scenes, often they are equal, but occasionally the C8 has the advantage (where the dimming zones on the PQ are just not enough to make it dark in the correct areas). Often the C8 verges on TOO dark. I havent been able to figure out to up the gamma on it, which might even things out — the control is always disabled, in every picture mode.

When it comes to brightness, the PQ has a DEFINITE advantage. Was watching Blade Runner 2049 last night on both, side by side. Scenes where there is neon, or fire, or an explosion are INSANELY wonderful on the PQ, especially against a dark background. It looks amazing.

For $2049, I'd probably have to give the trophy to the PQ.... there is one issue though, and it may drive me insane enough to warrant keep ing the $650 more C8 instead. In medium-dark greys without much detail on the PQ, the local dimming just doesnt know what to do. It freaks out. the dimming zones flick on and off — not just fade around a bit, but glitchily jump back and forth. It looks like the TV is spazzing out. Happens frequently in areas with dark clouds, smoke, fog, silhouetted (but not completely black areas).... I've noticed a few scenes in everything I watched so far that have sent the TV into that spazz mode.

Here's a video comparison. In the PQ video (0:21), note how all greys have an almost "lightning in the distance diffused by clouds" look. Compare with the C8 video (0:18)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DUA26WzDKbJLX5n8A
Last edited by GeeTooKay on Nov 21st, 2018 12:44 am, edited 3 times in total.