• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2020 2:58 pm
[OP]
Nov 28, 2015
3 posts
2 upvotes
Royston, BC

[Costco warehouse] CE Wi-Fi Smart Dimmer Switch 2pk $12.97 clearance

I was looking for WiFi enabled dimmer switches and found that my local Costco warehouse (Courtenay, BC) has quite a number of the CE WF500D 2 packs on clearance for $12.97. These are similar to the newer version on costco.ca, but those are 3-way compatible while the ones on clearance are single pole. They are a white box rebrand of a Tuya unit and can run Tasmota firmware for great custom local integration. Reflashing looks really easy. I'll report back once I get that far. See Tasmota template WF500D for template details.
2 replies
Temp. Banned
Feb 28, 2005
3169 posts
1183 upvotes
Montreal
“ great custom local integration”

What advantage does this other firmware offer compared to the original?
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
[OP]
Nov 28, 2015
3 posts
2 upvotes
Royston, BC
One of the big advantages is that it allows control using MQTT and HTTP over the local network and no longer requires/uses cloud services from the vendor. It can function without an internet connection and won't punch a hole in your firewall phoning home. I successfully flashed one of the units and am in the process of setting up a Home Assistant server on my Raspberry Pi. Flashing these units out of the box does not require disassembly of the switch or soldering, but it does require some familiarity with Linux. See Tuya-convert