Shopping Discussion

Costco water price increased by 15% - 25% as of Jan 2020

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2020 3:09 pm
Nov 24, 2019
445 posts
526 upvotes
Saskatoon
WMPCOT wrote: I buy water bottles often as someone else already pointed out they go on sale so often I never buy them at regular price at Costco.

I also use a refillable water bottle but I keep bottles in the car because sometimes your refillable bottle runs out and there is no way I'd drink tap water unless it's been properly filtered, I'll pass on all the chemicals, pesticides, heavy metals and pharamasuticals in tap water.
Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy Let me guess you're also anti-GMO?

Well I see Swerny has already tried to correct you
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4104 posts
4052 upvotes
Toronto
SaskCanesFan wrote: Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy Let me guess you're also anti-GMO?

Well I see Swerny has already tried to correct you
It's a proven fact, maybe do research and figure out what is actually in your municiply supplied water instead of taking their word for it. But it seems like you and Swerny just jump on whatever has been regurgitated to you so there is no point in me trying to educate you.

Are you in waste water and water treatment like I am? Have you worked at wastewater and treatment plants? Are you educated in these fields as I am?
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14175 upvotes
Toronto
WMPCOT wrote: If you believe that you should really do some research into what you're putting in your body. Natural spring water doesn't contain what your municipal source does even after treatment. I work in the industry so I know full well that municipal water treatment does not filter those things out, even if it did water becomes contaminated in the distribution system.
https://www.waterdocs.ca/water-talk/201 ... tled-water

Ignoring the environmental aspect of bottled water for a minute:

5) Researchers recently tested bottled water for micro plastic particles and found that 93 per cent of the water tested contained some sort of microplastic, including polypropylene, polystyrene, nylon and polyethylene terephthalate (PET).

If you go to this site here, you can actually see the microscopic pieces of plastic swirling around. Researchers found an average of 10.4 particles of plastic 100 microns (0.10 mm, or larger than the width of a human hair) or bigger per litre and 314 smaller plastic particles per litre. The amount of particles varied from bottle to bottle: while some contained one, others contained thousands. These tests were only aimed at discovering the presence of micro-plastics in bottled water - the research into how plastic effects the body when consumed is ongoing. We don't know about you, but we're not waiting for the results to find out.

6) Tap water is strictly regulated by Health Canada and the provinces and territories, whereas bottled water is not.

The Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality spell out the maximum levels of potentially harmful substances that are allowed in drinking water and municipalities test their water sources constantly to make sure they are within these limits. Because bottled water is classified as a food, it falls under the Food and Drugs Act and is not subject to such strict guidelines.

In the same research mentioned above on micro plastics, the research team tested for micro plastic particles in tap water from more than a dozen countries across five continents. They found that bottled water had double the amount of micro plastics than the tap water.

It's even worse when you reuse them

https://www.businessinsider.com/what-dr ... ody-2018-3

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 50841.html
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4104 posts
4052 upvotes
Toronto
Swerny wrote: https://www.waterdocs.ca/water-talk/201 ... tled-water

Ignoring the environmental aspect of bottled water for a minute:

5) Researchers recently tested bottled water for micro plastic particles and found that 93 per cent of the water tested contained some sort of microplastic, including polypropylene, polystyrene, nylon and polyethylene terephthalate (PET).

If you go to this site here, you can actually see the microscopic pieces of plastic swirling around. Researchers found an average of 10.4 particles of plastic 100 microns (0.10 mm, or larger than the width of a human hair) or bigger per litre and 314 smaller plastic particles per litre. The amount of particles varied from bottle to bottle: while some contained one, others contained thousands. These tests were only aimed at discovering the presence of micro-plastics in bottled water - the research into how plastic effects the body when consumed is ongoing. We don't know about you, but we're not waiting for the results to find out.

6) Tap water is strictly regulated by Health Canada and the provinces and territories, whereas bottled water is not.

The Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality spell out the maximum levels of potentially harmful substances that are allowed in drinking water and municipalities test their water sources constantly to make sure they are within these limits. Because bottled water is classified as a food, it falls under the Food and Drugs Act and is not subject to such strict guidelines.

In the same research mentioned above on micro plastics, the research team tested for micro plastic particles in tap water from more than a dozen countries across five continents. They found that bottled water had double the amount of micro plastics than the tap water.

It's even worse when you reuse them

https://www.businessinsider.com/what-dr ... ody-2018-3

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 50841.html
I clearly advocated using refillable water bottles with filtering. The filtering aspect is what you tried to laugh at saying municiply supplied water is just as good which it simply isn't and all the things I mentioned are still contained in your water source after it has left the treatment facility because they simply do not treat water for them our systems aren't designed for that.

As for your point 6 about regulation, that's all fine and well but if the regulations are from years and decades ago when we didn't have these other things such as pharamasuticals in our water how good is it? Flint Michigan also followed regulations.

Again I ask that you educate yourself on the topic and do not take my word alone. Do a quick google search and see if water treatment facilities treat for pharmaceuticals. Not to mention the chemicals used in water treatment are also left in, and while it does some good in keeping the distribution system clean it also has harmful side effects especially with all the plastic plumbing we use today.
Nov 24, 2019
445 posts
526 upvotes
Saskatoon
I, for one, would love to hear about which chemicals, pesticides, pharmaceuticals exactly are in municipal water supplies, at what quantities, and the mechanism by which those specific chemicals are harmful to the human body. LD50 of those would also be helpful.

Blanket statements about "avoiding chemicals" are the theme of most anti-science movements, and are completely meaningless as they ignore the fact that EVERYTHING is a chemical, and everything has both a safe and unsafe dose. Yep, even your natural spring water has a toxic dose, sorry.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19235 posts
17863 upvotes
GTA, ON
Doesn't bother me. I only buy a case once a year. Typically I always have a refillable bottle or mug that I use. I boil water at work. Only time I drink from plastic bottled water is if I'm going somewhere where I don't want to carry it around after I'm finished consuming (I.e. amusement park). Too much plastic waste already.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Jun 21, 2016
283 posts
91 upvotes
eelw11 wrote: Enviro fee and deposit? Lucky not here in Ontario. But how do you get the deposit back? Doubt many hold on to plastic bottles vs glass beer bottles to return.
If you want the deposit back which is 10 cents a bottle for the smaller bottles and 20 cents a bottle over 1 liter, you hold onto them like you do with beer bottles, deposit on beer bottles is also 10 cents a bottle. (I am referring to BC specifically.)
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1218 posts
601 upvotes
North of Toronto
Water prices change due to supply/demand depending on which plant they get their water from. My friend is a buyer for Costco and said that when we get a cold spell in the summer, water sales plummet and prices always drop.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1659 posts
1227 upvotes
London, On
Wasn't that many years ago that the 35 packs were almost 7 bucks, and they steadily decreased in price, so I'm not surprised it's going up a bit now.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Kirkland wipes went up...
Bounty SAS went up...
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12570 upvotes
Markham
b0ne wrote: As long as the hot dog stays at 1.50 and a quarter for a cold bottle of water.
And fries!

Next provincial election: buck a pack water
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14175 upvotes
Toronto
Poutinesauce wrote: Only foolish people think that paying more fees is a great thing. Any time a government adds a fee, it is for one reason, and one reason only: to grab money out of people, no matter what phony rationalizations they throw around.
and to think those ba$tard$ will check your receipt on the way out too!

Damn the man!

:facepalm:
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1982 posts
1453 upvotes
Toronto
One of those items that you can't just believe that because you're buying from Costco it is cheaper....

You can get a case of 24 for $2.49 quite regularly, and at times $1.99 at other retailers and PM @ WMT.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3173 posts
3128 upvotes
Toronto
Inflation is a thing people holy crap.

As for bottled water, I think the price here in Ontario has remained the same. Regardless it’s horrible for the environment just stop buying it if you hate the cost. Oh btw if you live in Ontario, Kirkland bottled water is sourced from Wellington County, my home town. My tap water is on the same aquifer so enjoy my tap water.

Oh and on another note some items at Costco have gone down in price. The gloves I buy were 10.59 but now they’re 10
Oct 16, 2018
225 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
Swerny wrote: Good.

Small individual bottles should be banned anyway for the sake of the environment
It's people that don't know how to recycle. Bottles have been around for ages. Do you know that 80 percent of water bottles are made from recycled plastic we all put out every week. Educate on how to recycle and plastic will not harm our environment.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
3474 posts
2697 upvotes
Vancouver
Lookingfordeals911 wrote: It's people that don't know how to recycle. Bottles have been around for ages. Do you know that 80 percent of water bottles are made from recycled plastic we all put out every week. Educate on how to recycle and plastic will not harm our environment.
Have you met most people? I have yet to find a person in my friend group that recycles properly
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Oct 16, 2018
225 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
kramer1 wrote: Have you met most people? I have yet to find a person in my friend group that recycles properly
Then why are we blaming plastic?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3173 posts
3128 upvotes
Toronto
Lookingfordeals911 wrote: It's people that don't know how to recycle. Bottles have been around for ages. Do you know that 80 percent of water bottles are made from recycled plastic we all put out every week. Educate on how to recycle and plastic will not harm our environment.
The only issue is that the recycling process is incredibly inefficient. The amount of processing done to recycle items probably causes more environmental harm than mining new natural resources. Plus most recyclable items aren't actually recycled, in municipal systems this isn't too bad but commercial recycling can be horrible.

It's important that we try to follow the first two Rs before the last, Reduce and Reuse.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
3474 posts
2697 upvotes
Vancouver
Lookingfordeals911 wrote: Then why are we blaming plastic?
Coz there is no easy efficient way to break down all varieties of plastic, yet. For paper, one can just dump it and over time it will disintegrate
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop