[Costco] WD My Book 4TB External HardDrive $129.97

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2014 8:25 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8327 posts
1298 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote: Well there is the head parking issue, I don't know if that ever was fully resolved as these drives are not meant for 24/7 operation really. I would personally wait for something else for this kind of use.
Download wdidle3 from Western Digital and the instructions are there on how to to disable the Intellipark feature. You can download a copy of it here, http://support.wdc.com/product/download ... 09&sid=113. There are videos on YouTube that will show you step by step on how to do this as you will need to boot in DOS to run the patch. If you do this then you're pretty much good to go.

If you're a casual home user who will be using this drive as it was intended, running the patch isn't necessary (IMHO).
Jan 22, 2011
115 posts
22 upvotes
Burnaby
None found on Willingdon in Burnaby. Please report here if you see any in the lower mainlands. Thanks.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4799 posts
1570 upvotes
Debtario
Can WDIDLE3 be run on the drive without taking it out of the enclosure?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8327 posts
1298 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: Can WDIDLE3 be run on the drive without taking it out of the enclosure?
No. You need to connect it to a SATA cable. USB is a no go.
May 15, 2006
102 posts
10 upvotes
GVRD
norstar wrote: None found on Willingdon in Burnaby. Please report here if you see any in the lower mainlands. Thanks.
Lots of cards but no stock at Brighton Ave. Costco :(
This is the third time they've had cards out but no stock.
Seems to be a common problem with this location
Feb 14, 2004
222 posts
35 upvotes
Delta, BC
norstar wrote: None found on Willingdon in Burnaby. Please report here if you see any in the lower mainlands. Thanks.
Surrey had a bunch today.
Jan 22, 2011
115 posts
22 upvotes
Burnaby
nightbird wrote: Surrey had a bunch today.
Thanks. Hopefully to have chance to head out that way.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
2323 posts
1512 upvotes
Prince George
Nettles wrote: Where can I find a reliable 2.5" one that's just 1 TB and under $80 or 90?
SDM has the Toshiba 1TB for $70 plus 20x points (~$17 worth?) tomorrow.
Oct 25, 2011
101 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Picked one up from East Gwillimbury/New Market yesterday... The lady said they had about 9 or so left in stock. This was around 1PM
Oct 24, 2001
700 posts
21 upvotes
Edmonton
BinaryJay wrote: Well there is the head parking issue, I don't know if that ever was fully resolved as these drives are not meant for 24/7 operation really. I would personally wait for something else for this kind of use.
can you elaborate? So these aren't good for NAS?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8327 posts
1298 upvotes
zulu888 wrote: can you elaborate? So these aren't good for NAS?
If you run WDIDLE3 to disable intellipark then you should be OK to use this as a NAS drive, even though that's not what it's intended purpose is. For those of you who are going to use the drive as it was intended to be used, as an external drive then running WDIDLE3 isn't necessary. I'm using mine for archival storage so I didn't bother to use WDIDLE3. Information is above as to where to get it and how to apply if you're going the NAS route.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2468 posts
335 upvotes
Ajax
Ajax still has these in stock, I'd guess 5+