Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2386 posts
382 upvotes
GTA
exrcoupe wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2014 5:48 pm
See that quote.

The WD Green drives are designed to constantly park the head and spin down for lower power consumption. Media server requirements need the drive to be constantly ready, instead of spinning up and down. The more the drive cycles, the increased wear it will have, thereby decreasing it's life. As well, you will have lag as you wait for the drive to spin up to read your media files. I've already experienced this with my old server drives spinning down and then having to wait 3-5 seconds as they spin up to read the file directory - and these were the WD black drives.
But for unraid servers, they spin down the drives when not in use and spin up when in use.
FS: Old school Nintendo Consoles
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=675445
FS:Sharp GF-777Z Classic Boombox Retro Ghetto Blaster 80s - the Holy Grail!
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=631904
ACTION 52 Nintendo NES Multi Game (COLLECTORS ITEM)
action-52-nintendo-nes-multi-game-colle ... st13164059
Jul 3, 2003
160 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP. 17 left in Barrie. There are no cards, but there are a few merchandise paper slips instead.
May 10, 2010
143 posts
66 upvotes
For people interested in cracking the case and using this drive in a media server, you MUST disable the head parking after 8 seconds inactive (the Idle3 counter), or you will burn your drive real fast.
I did it easily enough using the Western digital WDIDLE3 program, easily found on the web.

However, that program can only be used on the bare drive, not though the USB adapter of the case. Also, you may have to temporarily set your motherboard's sata ports as IDE (not AHCI nor RAID) in order to run wdildle3. Wdidle3 would not recognize my drive otherwise.
Dec 31, 2012
14 posts
5 upvotes
Forgive the silly question here, but would the head parking issue go away if the drive is in use (downloading data off the web) while its being used as a media server?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3271 posts
473 upvotes
Hamilton
the 3TB are the same price and I need a 3.5" drive ASAP for this week. Its a mediocre deal at best I know and I don't want seagate. Has anyone seen a better deal on a WD recently?
Dec 25, 2010
874 posts
261 upvotes
Vancouver
adblink182 wrote:
Mar 24th, 2014 1:33 pm
the 3TB are the same price and I need a 3.5" drive ASAP for this week. Its a mediocre deal at best I know and I don't want seagate. Has anyone seen a better deal on a WD recently?
If reliability is more important than one extra TB, the WD 3TB Reds are coming down in price finally. The WD 3TB Red is $139 at Canada Computers right now. Or $135 at Dell.ca after 10% off coupon. These drives are designed to run 24/7 and don't have the head parking problems of the Greens. Also with the Costco Greens, you void the warranty once you remove the drive from the enclosure.

Or, there is $30 off hard drives at Staples on Wednesday with coupon. YMMV about doing a price match and using the coupon but sometimes you get the right CSR. I PM'ed a 3TB LaCie external and used the coupon the last time Staples did this.
Apr 26, 2003
930 posts
275 upvotes
TheMightyOb wrote:
Mar 24th, 2014 1:14 pm
Forgive the silly question here, but would the head parking issue go away if the drive is in use (downloading data off the web) while its being used as a media server?
It does go "away" while in use, but then you are assuming that you will have the drives constantly reading and writing all the time, which the Greens are not designed to do, hence you will shorten their lifespan.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4547 posts
1416 upvotes
Debtario
After watching my LLC count go up 63 in one hour with heavy drive use, I broke down and opened the drive. Ran WDIDLE3 /D to disable the timer. Someone on another forum reported problems afterwards, but I'll wait and see.

FYI the case slides off easily, just 4 tabs holding it in place. Carefully wedge a flat screwdriver or flat shim under and should have no problem. I didn't encounter any warranty stickers and didn't break tabs, not sure how they would deny warranty unless they dusted for fingerprints.

Also, confirmed what others have said about hardware encryption. Bare drive out of the case appears as an unformatted drive, if the enclosure goes say goodbye to your data!
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
May 27, 2007
237 posts
18 upvotes
New Westminster
rudyrednose wrote:
Mar 24th, 2014 12:52 pm
For people interested in cracking the case and using this drive in a media server, you MUST disable the head parking after 8 seconds inactive (the Idle3 counter), or you will burn your drive real fast.
I did it easily enough using the Western digital WDIDLE3 program, easily found on the web.

However, that program can only be used on the bare drive, not though the USB adapter of the case. Also, you may have to temporarily set your motherboard's sata ports as IDE (not AHCI nor RAID) in order to run wdildle3. Wdidle3 would not recognize my drive otherwise.
Does every WD Green drive have the Head Parking problem? Or just the ones with the external drives?
Nov 10, 2003
607 posts
169 upvotes
BC, Canada
All green drives do.

I was under the impression that on new drives you cannot turn it off but it appears im wrong
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4547 posts
1416 upvotes
Debtario
bluefall wrote:
Mar 24th, 2014 5:35 pm
Does every WD Green drive have the Head Parking problem? Or just the ones with the external drives?
Technically it's a "feature" to save power. Disabling the feature is mostly relevant to those who will be keeping these drives online for extended periods, if it's an archive drive that sits unplugged then the load/unloads won't be too burdensome. Personally I find it troubling to know that many LLCs are being racked up, all my other non-green drives have load/unload counts equal to or slightly greater than the start/stop count.

As far as getting the utility to run, UBCD and Hiren's Boot CD both have the utility in the menus if you don't feel like doing it the manual way creating bootable media and all.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Dec 12, 2003
707 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
I didn't know about the head parking of WD Green drives. I have a WD Green 2TB that's been running inside a desktop PC since 2010 without any problems.

I just checked the stats:
Power-On Time Count: 13,963
Load/Unload Cycle Count: 820,905
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8232 posts
1169 upvotes
I'm wondering to myself why wouldn't WD have corrected this "issue" if it really were one? The WDIDLE3 utility is from 2010. You'd think by now if this was an issue that they would have solved it seeing that they're producing new models all the time with this feature. They're certainly not doing this so they can replace the drive under the 2 year warranty - unless they're owned by the government :) .
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19014 posts
5914 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
.EE. wrote:
Mar 24th, 2014 7:50 pm
I didn't know about the head parking of WD Green drives. I have a WD Green 2TB that's been running inside a desktop PC since 2010 without any problems.

I just checked the stats:
Power-On Time Count: 13,963
Load/Unload Cycle Count: 820,905
That's a whole lotta load cycles. Remember most people using HDD enclosures might have them plugged in and turned on only once in a while, it's a very different use case than having it in a 24/7 NAS in RAID.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
1365 posts
337 upvotes
Is there any way to tell what drive is inside without opening the enclosure? I want to check what's inside a 3tb My Book.