[Costco] WD My Book 4TB External HardDrive $129.97

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2014 8:25 pm
Tags:
May 27, 2007
237 posts
18 upvotes
New Westminster
BuSteR462 wrote: Take note that the drive inside this thing is a Hitachi and not WD.
mine is a WD green drive though.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3329 posts
497 upvotes
Hamilton
Orpheus wrote: If reliability is more important than one extra TB, the WD 3TB Reds are coming down in price finally. The WD 3TB Red is $139 at Canada Computers right now. Or $135 at Dell.ca after 10% off coupon. These drives are designed to run 24/7 and don't have the head parking problems of the Greens. Also with the Costco Greens, you void the warranty once you remove the drive from the enclosure.

Or, there is $30 off hard drives at Staples on Wednesday with coupon. YMMV about doing a price match and using the coupon but sometimes you get the right CSR. I PM'ed a 3TB LaCie external and used the coupon the last time Staples did this.
are you talking about this internal drive at CanadaComputers? My mistake as I was talking about this 3TB external drive at costco, the smaller one compared to the 4TB one this thread was originally about. Do they have a WD external drive with a red in it?

//edit after doing some reading it appears that no matter what ALL WD externals are encrypted? So no matter what model you buy if the interface dies you cannot remove the drive and retrieve your data? That is pretty ridiculous if that's true. Almost better off just buying an internal drive and a decent HD enclosure no?
Dec 25, 2010
876 posts
261 upvotes
Vancouver
adblink182 wrote: are you talking about this internal drive at CanadaComputers? My mistake as I was talking about this 3TB external drive at costco, the smaller one compared to the 4TB one this thread was originally about. Do they have a WD external drive with a red in it?
Yes, I was talking about that WD 3TB Red. As far as I know they are sold as bare drives only.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3329 posts
497 upvotes
Hamilton
with all the limitations to these external drives I don't see the point in getting them. Would you still buy a red WD even if you didn't plan on running it 24/7? I was planning on using it to expand my WDTV Live Hub, so spinning down when not in use might actually be a benefit no?
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4776 posts
1563 upvotes
Debtario
adblink182 wrote:
//edit after doing some reading it appears that no matter what ALL WD externals are encrypted? So no matter what model you buy if the interface dies you cannot remove the drive and retrieve your data? That is pretty ridiculous if that's true. Almost better off just buying an internal drive and a decent HD enclosure no?
I can't speak for all WD externals being encrypted, but yes: if the interface dies you are SOL. But keep in mind these are meant to suck in the average joe consumer, the person WD will hope reads the marketing and thinks their data is safe. Even still, it seems idiotic how hardware encryption would be always on without a required password. Anyone can plug in the drive and access the files, unless the user opts to use the included software to password protect the drive, or some thief takes the time to open the enclosure and only steal the drive itself. The chip responsible for this BS is the Initio INIC-1607E, and apparently only used by WD; seagate uses a non-AES version for the USB-SATA bridge.

My speculation is that WD is doing this intentionally to boost data recovery profits. People calling in for support have mentioned WD directing them to its partner data recovery services, which all likely charge a hefty sum. Hmmm....
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
8970 posts
1556 upvotes
Montreal
Montreal update: None left at Bridge Street.
Nov 14, 2010
361 posts
108 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: I can't speak for all WD externals being encrypted, but yes: if the interface dies you are SOL. But keep in mind these are meant to suck in the average joe consumer, the person WD will hope reads the marketing and thinks their data is safe. Even still, it seems idiotic how hardware encryption would be always on without a required password. Anyone can plug in the drive and access the files, unless the user opts to use the included software to password protect the drive, or some thief takes the time to open the enclosure and only steal the drive itself. The chip responsible for this BS is the Initio INIC-1607E, and apparently only used by WD; seagate uses a non-AES version for the USB-SATA bridge.

My speculation is that WD is doing this intentionally to boost data recovery profits. People calling in for support have mentioned WD directing them to its partner data recovery services, which all likely charge a hefty sum. Hmmm....

Just use a working pcb from a good external and you get your data back. It is not drive specific encryption. It is just on the drives with the lock symbol on the box (Passports usually, not Elements ones).
Apr 26, 2003
961 posts
286 upvotes
majikstic wrote: Is there any way to tell what drive is inside without opening the enclosure? I want to check what's inside a 3tb My Book.
Download and run Speccy: http://www.piriform.com/speccy It will inventory your system and whatever drives are connected to it. I'm pretty sure it's a WD Green if you got it a local Costco in Canada.
adblink182 wrote: //edit after doing some reading it appears that no matter what ALL WD externals are encrypted? So no matter what model you buy if the interface dies you cannot remove the drive and retrieve your data? That is pretty ridiculous if that's true. Almost better off just buying an internal drive and a decent HD enclosure no?
Yes, but for the average consumer, buying a drive in a WD box is simple enough to plug it into the computer. You would have to be a bit more tech savvy to buy a bare drive and a generic enclosure to house the drive.
adblink182 wrote: with all the limitations to these external drives I don't see the point in getting them. Would you still buy a red WD even if you didn't plan on running it 24/7? I was planning on using it to expand my WDTV Live Hub, so spinning down when not in use might actually be a benefit no?
WD Reds use WD RAID edition components so they have been tested to last longer. The thing about the head parking, it increases the load cycle count (LLC) so basically the drive is constantly moving the head back and forth, more than other drives, thereby wearing them out faster. The Greens only have a 2 year warranty on the OEM drives and 1 year on the retail kit. If you're pulling them out of this enclosure, you have no warranty at all. I'm not saying that all Green drives are bad, but if you're using these for data storage and archival, why take the risk? Spend a few more bucks on a better drive to have peace of mind. Here's a quick video on the different types of WD drives. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_HYE5ML7k4

From my own personal experience working in IT, I have seen more WD Blue drives die after a year than all the others. I haven't worked with many WD Green drives as they aren't OEM spec yet in Dell machines. The WD Blacks have been rock solid from my professional experience and personal. I just replaced my home RAID 5 server running 200GB WD Blacks that ran 24/7 since 2007 with WD Reds, hoping to have the same experience.
M1K3Z0R wrote: I can't speak for all WD externals being encrypted, but yes: if the interface dies you are SOL. But keep in mind these are meant to suck in the average joe consumer, the person WD will hope reads the marketing and thinks their data is safe. Even still, it seems idiotic how hardware encryption would be always on without a required password. Anyone can plug in the drive and access the files, unless the user opts to use the included software to password protect the drive, or some thief takes the time to open the enclosure and only steal the drive itself. The chip responsible for this BS is the Initio INIC-1607E, and apparently only used by WD; seagate uses a non-AES version for the USB-SATA bridge.

Well said. Sadly, WD external boxes do not have a great track record of reliability. It's not drive, but the enclosure board in the case.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1637 posts
511 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
Interesting video. The Green and Blue have the shortest warranties, while the Black is 5 years. Time to return 2 Greens to Costco.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3005 posts
1027 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
exrcoupe wrote: Download and run Speccy:.. ..It will inventory your system and whatever drives are connected to it. I'm pretty sure it's a WD Green if you got it a local Costco in Canada.
I don't think it will identify the drive, it will just tell you its a WD My Book device and give you the serial number. At least, that's what happens with a Passport. Might have better luck with SIW, it worked for me.
Jun 15, 2008
197 posts
73 upvotes
makaturing wrote: I don't think it will identify the drive, it will just tell you its a WD My Book device and give you the serial number. At least, that's what happens with a Passport. Might have better luck with SIW, it worked for me.
CrystalDiskInfo showed me : WDC WD40EZRX-00SPEB0 4000.7 GB
Jul 2, 2012
15 posts
2 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Pmed at stooples with OPs pics and they verified by calling to check that if is in stock at ANY Costco in Ontario, and THEN used 30$ dollar off couple for hard drives 100$ or more... Maybe I was just lucky but THANKS OP

99.97 plus tax.. even though its just a WD green It'll serve my purposes just fine.
Oct 22, 2004
98 posts
19 upvotes
Winnipeg
Lots left in Winnipeg at the Regent location
May 27, 2007
237 posts
18 upvotes
New Westminster
dealguy05 wrote: Pmed at stooples with OPs pics and they verified by calling to check that if is in stock at ANY Costco in Ontario, and THEN used 30$ dollar off couple for hard drives 100$ or more... Maybe I was just lucky but THANKS OP

99.97 plus tax.. even though its just a WD green It'll serve my purposes just fine.
Did you buy it in the store or on-line?