• Nov 20th, 2017 4:58 pm
[OP]
Dec 30, 2011
268 posts
148 upvotes
NEPEAN

[Costco] YMMV - Sky Viper Streaming Video Drone with Autopilot $149.99

Hi All,

Just wanted to let folks know that I went to Costco in Ottawa on Merivale Rd yesterday to purchase a Sky Viper Streaming Video Drone with Autopilot (GPS) and FPV
Model is V2450 GPS

It may not be a smoking hot deal but when I went through the cash, the price rang up as $149.99

Signs on the Floor/skid still had tags showing $164.99

I checked out reviews online for this and for the most part they are all pretty good for this entry level Drone. That's from Amazon, WalMart, Target in addition to some online Videos.

Product Details
With professional-grade ArduPilot firmware, the V2450 GPS streaming video drone outperforms every drone in its class. Built-in GPS provides an autonomous flight experience similar to that of much pricier hobby-grade drones. Using a network of satellites to trilaterate its position in relation to waypoints, the GPS streaming video drone can maintain its coordinates in a hover without drifting away. Positional awareness also enables Return to Home, a feature in which the drone flies back to its launch point with the touch of a button. Advanced enough to satisfy discerning enthusiasts, this drone is also lightweight, durable and safe enough for beginning pilots to learn.

Features:
Professional-grade firmware provides simple and stable flight for beginners and hobbyists
Position Hold prevents gradual drifting during a hover
Return to Home summons the drone back to its launch point with the push of a button
Adjustable wide-angle camera lens for video streaming
Micro SD card slot enables direct video recording
3 x AAA (included )
Extra LiPo Battery (Total 2) and SD Card Included

See Attached Receipt. I also picked up a little Nano Drone which looks like a lot of fun.
Images
  • CostcoViper.jpg
Last edited by TomRFD on Nov 10th, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: price added to title
12 replies
[OP]
Dec 30, 2011
268 posts
148 upvotes
NEPEAN
That's a US Link. The Canadian ToysRUs sells the same model as Costco But the Costco deal includes an extra Battery and includes the SD Card.

Here is something I found about the FPV Goggles. Seems to me a Pilot could use any pair since pairing is with the phone, not the goggles.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... dwX9bS.pdf
Jan 15, 2008
868 posts
50 upvotes
Oil country
Yeah the US TRU site carries that GPS+FPV box, but nothing on the Canadian site. Makes sense the phone can convert to an FPV with the headset. Did you download the app yet? Is there an option for you to configure the phone to be an FPV?
[OP]
Dec 30, 2011
268 posts
148 upvotes
NEPEAN
Yes, You need to download the Sky Viper Video app to get FPV on the phone. Just sent an email off to Sky Viper to inquire about a stand-a-lone purchase for goggles.
Other than that, My wife won't let me open it before Christmas. LOL I may have to sneak it out for a test run I think ;-)

So I loaded the app and you connect the Drone to your Phone via Wireless to stream video to the phone. That's all I can tell ya.

There are several videos on Youtube that show this.

Here is the response from Sky Viper Support.

"Morgan (Skyrocket Support)
Nov 10, 11:26 AM PST

Hello Wayne,

Thank you for contacting Skyrocket support. We do not offer the FPV goggles as an add-on, but you can use any brand FPV goggles with the drone. The FPV feature can be toggled within the app.

I would suggest Insignia or any other low-cost FPV goggles. Thanks!
Best Regards,

Consumer Relations"
Nov 12, 2017
2 posts
British columbia
Tons of these at Costco Prince George. Close to the Xmas isle and across from the cereal isle. They are only 139
Aug 29, 2001
272 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
are all drones in this price range still giving so much jello effect in their video recordings?
Oct 4, 2008
512 posts
77 upvotes
The one review at costco.ca mentions severe drifting even after calibration, anybody else experience that?
I know there's a GPS position maintain, I thought there might be a video-based 'precision' position maintain also, but maybe not?
Dec 27, 2016
49 posts
13 upvotes
I know nothing about drones. Can anyone comment on this drone vs the Lite Hawk Focus? I bought the Lite Hawk from the Bay for $150 for my son for Christmas. I will return it and get the Sky Viper if it’s a better option. Even at $165 online through Costco it’s basically the same price if I buy a second battery for $10 for the Lite Hawk as the Sky Viper has two batteries included. Any help is appreciated. There is a similar V2450FPV Sky Viper at walmart with fpv goggles included for $130 but it doesn’t have the GPS option.
Nov 29, 2011
105 posts
12 upvotes
Ottawa
Ottawa merivale drop to 99, my local one won't honor that price.
[OP]
Dec 30, 2011
268 posts
148 upvotes
NEPEAN
folinc wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 11:14 am
You Mean the Costco On Merivale has it for $99 now?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1175 posts
221 upvotes
Ottawa
folinc wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 11:14 am
Just left Merivale, sign is $140 and scans at $140.