• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2011 2:39 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 23, 2007
912 posts
1240 upvotes
St. Albert, AB

Costco's Gucci watches

I have a question about Costco selling Gucci watches despite the fact that it is not an authorized seller. I love Costco and have purchased jewellery from them before (appraisals always came back VERY favourable) and recently purchased a Gucci watch for my wife. When I got home and opened the box and discovered that there was a note inside saying that Costco was not an authorized seller of Gucci watches and that it would cover any warranty issues. Furthermore, there were no papers of authenticity in the box, but there was a warranty manual that was stamped with a retailer name: CIRCA, New York. Going by the name and how the stamp on the warranty booklet matches the company logo, it appears to be this company: http://www.circajewels.com/about/

The box itself looks real (who knows though).

I e-mailed Costco to ask for clarification about whether this is a real or 'replica' Gucci and am waiting on a response, but I was wondering if any other RFDers have had experience with Costco selling items for which they were not authorized sellers. Is there a way that I can verify that this is authentic other than relying on Costco's word? I can't see any serial numbers but they may be on the back of the watch; I can't access them yet, however, as I don't want to remove the watch from its pillow before my wife opens the box.
10 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 31, 2010
1714 posts
76 upvotes
Barrie
Very interesting

For authenticating I highly recommend posting in the "authenticate this Gucci" thread here:

http://forum.purseblog.com/gucci/

but they will require close pics of the serial number tha should be on the back of the watch for authentication. Its from Costco so I wouldnt worry about removing it from the pillow.

I dont think Costco would sell fakes, but this seems fishy. I hope you'll keep this updated
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
2535 posts
156 upvotes
But Costco wouldn't sell fakes would it?
BlackJays wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 6:02 pm
shame has been acheived
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 31, 2010
1714 posts
76 upvotes
Barrie
navyseals wrote:
Nov 29th, 2011 10:57 pm
But Costco wouldn't sell fakes would it?

I'd be really surprised if they did. Still, better to have it authenticated IMO
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 23, 2007
912 posts
1240 upvotes
St. Albert, AB
chickibum wrote:
Nov 29th, 2011 10:50 pm
Very interesting

For authenticating I highly recommend posting in the "authenticate this Gucci" thread here:

http://forum.purseblog.com/gucci/

but they will require close pics of the serial number tha should be on the back of the watch for authentication. Its from Costco so I wouldnt worry about removing it from the pillow.

I dont think Costco would sell fakes, but this seems fishy. I hope you'll keep this updated
Thanks, I'll check that out and will definitely update the thread with the result.
navyseals wrote:
Nov 29th, 2011 10:57 pm
But Costco wouldn't sell fakes would it?


I wouldn't think so, but the lack of papers of authenticity is a bit disconcerting because one online site notes that
Serial Numbers

Gucci watches have their own unique markings that help certify their authenticity. For example, the Gucci G chrono watch is identified by serial number YA 101312. In most cases, if you know the serial number of the watch you're looking to purchase, you'll be able to contact a jeweler or Gucci watch retailer in order to verify the authenticity of the watch prior to making a purchase.

Furthermore, your Gucci watch should come packaged with an authenticity card or certificate of authenticity. This lets you know that your Gucci time piece is authentic. Your Gucci watch should be packaged in a box that says "GUCCI" in all capital letters.
I can't check the serial number yet and the box is as described; there is no "authenticity card or certificate of authenticity". Perhaps the warranty booklet is all that is included in the boxes of authorized dealers.
Newbie
User avatar
May 8, 2005
51 posts
9 upvotes
navyseals wrote:
Nov 29th, 2011 10:57 pm
But Costco wouldn't sell fakes would it?

I'm a long time lurker on these boards but since I've spent the better part of my life managing a high end jeweller (Birks) I thought I'd toss in my two cents.

The reason there was a note in your Gucci box and no authenticity card is that Costco does NOT buy their watches direct from the manufacteurer (Gucci, Tag, Omega, etc). They purchase from jewellers who need to liquidate stock for whatever reason. Gucci doesn't view this as being through the 'authorized dealer' process which is why there is no warranty.

There is a very SMALL chance that it is not a genuine Gucci - I've heard from the manufacteurer's reps a few times of such instances occuring, but it's the exception not the rule.

Costco is unavailable to verify the authenticity and will normally just refund you if there is a question.

You can typically negotiate the price of a Gucci down at least 25% in a typical retailer, so sometimes that its the better route depending on your comfort level.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 23, 2007
912 posts
1240 upvotes
St. Albert, AB
dealhunterca wrote:
Nov 30th, 2011 10:19 am
The reason there was a note in your Gucci box and no authenticity card is that Costco does NOT buy their watches direct from the manufacteurer (Gucci, Tag, Omega, etc). They purchase from jewellers who need to liquidate stock for whatever reason. Gucci doesn't view this as being through the 'authorized dealer' process which is why there is no warranty.

There is a very SMALL chance that it is not a genuine Gucci - I've heard from the manufacteurer's reps a few times of such instances occuring, but it's the exception not the rule.
Ahhh, that makes sense given the 'Circa, New York' stamp on the retailer page warranty booklet. Everything else looks legit (quality packaging, multi language and high quality warranty booklet) and like you say, with Costco it can be returned without issue. Still, I wait to see if Costco responds to my e-mail and can offer any assurances and once my wife opens it I'll look for the serial number and follow up on that, but given the above and Costco's history, I guess the odds are that it is real.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 7, 2007
5420 posts
383 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
This is standard practice at Costco. They had Denon/Harmon Kardon receivers for sale that also did not have manufacturer's warranty. This was also the case before with Bose products, but it seems like this has changed now.

I wouldn't worry about authenticity but it's best know for sure.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1414 posts
147 upvotes
Edmonton
dealhunterca wrote:
Nov 30th, 2011 10:19 am
I'm a long time lurker on these boards but since I've spent the better part of my life managing a high end jeweller (Birks) I thought I'd toss in my two cents.

The reason there was a note in your Gucci box and no authenticity card is that Costco does NOT buy their watches direct from the manufacteurer (Gucci, Tag, Omega, etc). They purchase from jewellers who need to liquidate stock for whatever reason. Gucci doesn't view this as being through the 'authorized dealer' process which is why there is no warranty.

There is a very SMALL chance that it is not a genuine Gucci - I've heard from the manufacteurer's reps a few times of such instances occuring, but it's the exception not the rule.

Costco is unavailable to verify the authenticity and will normally just refund you if there is a question.

You can typically negotiate the price of a Gucci down at least 25% in a typical retailer, so sometimes that its the better route depending on your comfort level.
I didn't think you could negotiate at Birks.
Newbie
User avatar
May 8, 2005
51 posts
9 upvotes
shoppingguy wrote:
Nov 30th, 2011 4:04 pm
I didn't think you could negotiate at Birks.

You can't. At one time you could, and now they have special days for 'select' clients where you can score 10% off anything (except Cartier and some designers.)

At most retailers like Peoples, Mappins, small jewellers, you can tho.
Banned
Nov 30, 2011
19 posts
1 upvote
FORT MCMURRAY
Gucci is An attractive brand,such as expensive item, i will buy it from franchised store ..
× < >

Top