• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2017 11:47 am
Tags:
Apr 13, 2010
317 posts
114 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
This is so true. I especially love the "I can't imagine what I would do without this garbage can" quote. It's amusing.

I liken that to those automatic soap dispensers. Are they supposed to be hygenic because you don't touch them? Normally soap dispensers are already hygenic because chances are, if you're touching, you're about to wash your hands. All the automatic ones get you is a gobs of soap on the counter that you have to clean up after they went off when you didn't want it to.

I try to live by the rule that if I didn't see the need for something at home, then I don't actually need it. If you only think you need something after you see it in the store, then you don't need it.
Last edited by cybersaga on Sep 12th, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 23, 2008
289 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
TodayHello wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 7:01 pm
This is straight up repulsive. Both the writing style and the content.
Downvoted for an opinion, lol. But I guess that's what happens when you bring the truth to people with poor impulse control.

I'll admit that it happens to me occasionally, but then you just need to step back and think if you actually need that item. The savings for groceries in bulk is great, but it's useless if you can't finish it all.
Jan 15, 2017
477 posts
280 upvotes
The same can be said for many others retailers. Ikea, WalMart, Superstore - it's all the same. There isn't some sort of spell - it's just impulse buying at its finest. We all are guilty of it at some point. How many buy groceries just because it is on sale? The key is try and make sure that the impulse buying doesn't happen too often.
Jul 7, 2007
734 posts
221 upvotes
Some Costco items have a quick turnaround and you don't really know if they will be restocking or not. Then you regret it once its gone and hasn’t been restocked. I’ve had many of these moments. I do tend to impulse buy some things out of this fear, but if I do not have an immediate need for it, I’ll leave the item unopened and sleep on it for about a week. 75% of the time, I end up returning it to the store.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1014 posts
533 upvotes
Zero Hope wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 4:56 pm
Some Costco items have a quick turnaround and you don't really know if they will be restocking or not. Then you regret it once its gone and hasn’t been restocked. I’ve had many of these moments. I do tend to impulse buy some things out of this fear, but if I do not have an immediate need for it, I’ll leave the item unopened and sleep on it for about a week. 75% of the time, I end up returning it to the store.
Interesting tactic.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10605 posts
1199 upvotes
Edmonton
Zero Hope wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 4:56 pm
Yup rule is at Costco you like something buy it because it may not be there after you think about it and go back. Returns are dead easy so there is no worry about taking it back next shipping trip or 2 months later.

I loled at the comment from a member about sending his wife to ikea. Same goes when my wife comes with me to Costco. By myself I get the staples we need and maybe a few coupon items on my lunch break. With her we have random bags of jerkey and trail mix in the cart, like $30 to $40 of exotic fruit and veggies, random frozen stuff, etc etc. Turns into a plus $100 trip instantly.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2535 posts
377 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
I read this article in the globe yesterday and it mystified me. Maybe i have no imagination (or too good an imagination at other times?) but i've never gone into costco and though "Wow. i didn't know that existed but i need it".
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1167 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
I live close enough to walk to my local Costco but refuse to pay a membership fee to shop. On the other hand they have done wonders for my property value :)
OVERCLOCK OR DIE!!!!!!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2399 posts
258 upvotes
Ajax
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 8:36 pm

If I need a $50 bookcase, I can go to Ikea, buy it, and that's the only thing I carry to my car. Send my wife there for that $50 bookcase and guaranteed she spends $300.
There should be a support group for RFDer's whose wives like to spend. LOL
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1049 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto, ON
People are really weird about Costco. Good marketing by them, I guess.
Nov 26, 2015
200 posts
63 upvotes
Montréal
blainehamilton wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:48 pm
Yup rule is at Costco you like something buy it because it may not be there after you think about it and go back. Returns are dead easy so there is no worry about taking it back next shipping trip or 2 months later.

I loled at the comment from a member about sending his wife to ikea. Same goes when my wife comes with me to Costco. By myself I get the staples we need and maybe a few coupon items on my lunch break. With her we have random bags of jerkey and trail mix in the cart, like $30 to $40 of exotic fruit and veggies, random frozen stuff, etc etc. Turns into a plus $100 trip instantly.
Do you return home to put off your groceries during your lunch break? Or do you buy groceries there? I can imagine doing that only in winter, and now the parking in my work is heated so I may not be able to do it this year...
Sep 9, 2017
14 posts
7 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 4:54 pm
And my Salad Waste has diminished since I make sure it's in an airtight container (Tupperware) and throw in some paper towels to absorb moisture. Where we used to get a week or less from Greens we now get about 2 weeks.
Ahhhhh, the paper towel miracle. I was just marveling at some green onions that lasted an entire month in the fridge, chopped up with a paper towel put in the container. I finished them yesterday and they were almost as crisp and fresh as the day I bought them.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10605 posts
1199 upvotes
Edmonton
ryan10075 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 9:45 am
Do you return home to put off your groceries during your lunch break? Or do you buy groceries there? I can imagine doing that only in winter, and now the parking in my work is heated so I may not be able to do it this year...
Cheap Coleman hardside cooler in the back of my van. Days I know I'm shopping I'll toss an ice pack in there and I'm good for hours and hours till I get home at the end of the day. As a bonus I can keep a couple of 1l sodas from sobeys from dollar days and dig one out if I feel like a drink.

I started carrying it after Costco had a price error on black forest hams earlier this summer. $5 off a kg and not off per ham. $27 ham was like $6. Went back at the end of the day and they fixed it. Next time I'll fill the cooler.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
1009 posts
225 upvotes
Alberta
I tried making a list when I went to Costco, but as you walk you see things that are almost too hard to resist. Now I only tend to by Kirkland products as they have the best bang for the buck

- Kirkland Laundry detergent
- Kirkland olive oil
- 3 pack of Dempsters bread and freeze the other two
- Kirkland Body lotion (2 pack for $9.99 and 22oz per bottle). - I am in the states now
- Wine (Usually buy the Kirkland wines as they are pretty good for the price, also buy the Kirkland vodka) - here in the states the Kirkland Chardonnay is $7.99 for a 1.5litre bottle, the Kirkland Vodka (from France, not the states one) is $19.99 for a 1.75litre bottle.
- Prescription drugs
- Kirkland bars of soap (like Dove but cheaper)

Note: I always see people with paper towels and toilet paper, but there are weekly deals all the time at other stores which is always cheaper than Costco. Not sure why people buy it.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1014 posts
533 upvotes
blainehamilton wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 5:52 pm
Cheap Coleman hardside cooler in the back of my van. Days I know I'm shopping I'll toss an ice pack in there and I'm good for hours and hours till I get home at the end of the day. As a bonus I can keep a couple of 1l sodas from sobeys from dollar days and dig one out if I feel like a drink.

I started carrying it after Costco had a price error on black forest hams earlier this summer. $5 off a kg and not off per ham. $27 ham was like $6. Went back at the end of the day and they fixed it. Next time I'll fill the cooler.
Ya we often keep our Coleman Cooler in the back of the car in the summertime too... Even without ice, if you toss in your chilled / frozen items straight from the store they'll stay cold for a longer period of time... Handy if you make multiple stops on the way home.

Thinking of buying one of those 12V plug in Coolers / Warmers. Super easy for Summer Shopping, and handy for keeping things hot year-round for going to Pot Luck Parties.