Off Topic Archive

Locked: Cotton Swab at the end of qtip stuck in ear, What to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2008 1:31 pm
Tags:
None
May 25, 2008
383 posts
Mississauga, Ontario…

Cotton Swab at the end of qtip stuck in ear, What to do?

Hi,

Took a nice long relaxing shower today after a long day of work ... after the shower i used a q-tip to clean my ears ... after finishing my last side of the ear pulling the q-tip out to my surprise ... the cotton got stuck.

What do I do? ... it's 11:52 Pm and the doctors are closed ... got my parents to look into my ear and they said it's way in there ... don't want to go to Hospital because i think i might have to pay out of my pocket and ohip doesn't cover?

I can still hear but have a little weird feeling in my ear ...

if i just sleep and go to the doctor early morning before work will something bad happen?

Thanks,
Chris
Share:
61 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2006
5138 posts
6 upvotes
Midland
Hahahah

Needle Nose pliers? or if you got a sister Tweezers ?
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
11890 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
I would not go to sleep with that in my ear.
Deal with it.
Jul 5, 2004
21388 posts
1585 upvotes
It would probably be ok to just go to sleep and take care of it in the morning. After all, it's not sharp and there won't be any inward pressure, so it won't puncture your ear drum. With that said, why not needle nosed pliers or tweezers and have someone carefully get it out for you? That's all a doctor will do, is use tweezers.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2005
2081 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
would tweezers work?

How bout trying to create a light vacuum? Not too much or else it will rip your ear drums. To create said vacuum, get someone to suck on your ear.

It is possible your ear might get infected if you sleep with that thing in it? The doctor may use something he used on my dad. There was something stuck, I forgot what. But he basically flushed it out by putting some liquid in there with a syringe or something like that.
Jul 5, 2004
21388 posts
1585 upvotes
IBOPM wrote:
Jul 16th, 2008 11:57 pm
would tweezers work?

How bout trying to create a light vacuum? Not too much or else it will rip your ear drums. To create said vacuum, get someone to suck on your ear.
I wouldn't do that, too much risk of damaging the ear drum. Just use tweezers or needle-nosed pliers, that's what a doctor would do at the hospital.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
6649 posts
833 upvotes
pretty sure you'd be okay to just go to sleep...no pt going to the hospital now, no doctors will see you for something this minor until at least the morning... use some tweezers, and have someone with steady hands try to pull it out.
[OP]
May 25, 2008
383 posts
Mississauga, Ontario…
I tried to use a syringe to suck but it's not budging lol
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2006
5138 posts
6 upvotes
Midland
try and get someone else to try because your line of sight is off.

as I and everyone has stated ... 24 hours Shoppers Drug Mart get some tweezers and pull it out.

http://web.sa.mapquest.com/shoppersdrug ... set=search
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
3132 posts
15 upvotes
You aren't supposed to put q tips in your ears.

Regardless, get some tweezers, they should come right out.
Wealth Is Of The Heart And Mind, Not The Pocket
[OP]
May 25, 2008
383 posts
Mississauga, Ontario…
jcoltage wrote:
Jul 17th, 2008 12:05 am
try and get someone else to try because your line of sight is off.

as I and everyone has stated ... 24 hours Shoppers Drug Mart get some tweezers and pull it out.

http://web.sa.mapquest.com/shoppersdrug ... set=search
I got a couple tweezers lying around ... parents and my brothers/sisters doen't want to try cuz they are scared they might damage the walls of my ear
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9866 posts
577 upvotes
Calgary
Cruel_Angel wrote:
Jul 17th, 2008 12:08 am
No, its just that people put them in too far.
RFD Users who tell it like it is and aren't sheltered by society's wet blanket:
Syne, a-tree, Shaner, Peckerwood, Anonymouse, Cas77, arisk
arisk wrote:
Oct 15th, 2011 7:45 pm
Banning proper use in a forum such as this simply perpetuates the problem by reinforcing the perspective that all uses of a word are negative.
KorruptioN wrote:
Oct 29th, 2010 9:11 pm
She must be better than all of us real men, at any cost. Feel like talking down to people who don't fit in her narrow-minded demographic? She's got it in spades.
Jul 5, 2004
21388 posts
1585 upvotes
Tijuana wrote:
Jul 17th, 2008 12:09 am
No, its just that people put them in too far.
True, but most people don't know how far they can go before they risk damaging the ear drum. Most, if not all doctors will tell you to use your pinky finger and avoid Q-tips.
[OP]
May 25, 2008
383 posts
Mississauga, Ontario…
Cruel_Angel wrote:
Jul 17th, 2008 12:08 am

Regardless, get some tweezers, they should come right out.
but if Q-tips are not suppose to put into your ears ... how do you or others clean inside your ears?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2006
6014 posts
9 upvotes
etherfast wrote:
Jul 17th, 2008 12:00 am
I tried to use a syringe to suck but it's not budging lol

If you are lucky then you just might suck out the last two brain cells that prompted you to get a cotton swab stuck in your ear and then decide to put a sharp metal object in after it.

:)
"When the common good of a society is regarded as something apart from and superior to the individual good of its members, it means that the good of some men takes precedence over the good of others, with those others consigned to the status of sacrificial animals." -- Ayn Rand

Every facet, every deposit of your mind is to be programmed by you; and unless you assume your rightful responsibility and begin to program your own mind, the world will program it for you.
× < >