• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2017 8:52 am
Tags:
None
Aug 11, 2011
173 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone have any suggestions for some alternative/clean energy index funds? Looking to add that to my current portfolio of XAW/XIC/VAB.
Didnt find any CAD funds, but am considering these 2 -
ICLN or PBW

Some others -
GEX
PUW
PBD

not a lot out there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1635 posts
565 upvotes
Montreal
Ismellofhockey wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 9:34 am
Did you just turn $10k into over $1,000,000 in 12 years?
Aethean wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 9:59 am
That graph includes new contributions, which was hundreds of thousands since he's started.
Yes, by savings around 50k per year and investing the savings into a low cost diversified portfolio.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10091 posts
555 upvotes
Hurts to look at...I just did an initial lump sum deposit into a CCP portfolio 3-4 weeks ago. Can't even buy more at this price because I put everything in at once.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2006
1948 posts
30 upvotes
slowtyper wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 4:27 pm
Hurts to look at...I just did an initial lump sum deposit into a CCP portfolio 3-4 weeks ago. Can't even buy more at this price because I put everything in at once.
Slow and steady wins the race. A few quarters....years from now this might look like a bargain purchase. Time in the market beats almost every other strategy out there.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
2309 posts
448 upvotes
Great job OP! I have a question and I'm sorry if similar question has been asked before:

I have been on Tangerine's balanced portfolio for TFSA. I just had a newborn so I think it's perfect time for me to switch to ETF for both TFSA and RESP. My plan is to open both ETF TFSA and ETF RESP with Questrade using CCP's balanced ETF portfolio: 40% in ZAG, 20% in VCN, and 40% in XAW. The total amount of these 2 will be > $15000 so I do not need to pay the $50/yr fee for RESP. I have 0 knowledge on either ETF or index funds but always want to try and learn. What are your opinion on my approach as a novice investor? Thanks!
Dec 2, 2009
59 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
braveblade wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 6:17 pm
Great job OP! I have a question and I'm sorry if similar question has been asked before:

I have been on Tangerine's balanced portfolio for TFSA. I just had a newborn so I think it's perfect time for me to switch to ETF for both TFSA and RESP. My plan is to open both ETF TFSA and ETF RESP with Questrade using CCP's balanced ETF portfolio: 40% in ZAG, 20% in VCN, and 40% in XAW. The total amount of these 2 will be > $15000 so I do not need to pay the $50/yr fee for RESP. I have 0 knowledge on either ETF or index funds but always want to try and learn. What are your opinion on my approach as a novice investor? Thanks!
I'm not an expert, but it sounds like you are pretty young, and given your investment timeline I think you might be overly conservative with 40% ZAG.
Nov 7, 2016
37 posts
3 upvotes
wanted to ask if anyone has any advice or wisdom gained from experience about how to optimize my current portfolio... to include the breakdown of XAW ... into VUN/XEF/XEC
currently my portfolio is quite small
id like to keep adding money to it slowly , whenever i can
its about 44k

i have my TFSA making up 65% of my total portfolio...
(it holds mostly bonds of 69% bonds, and 15.6% vxc 4.5% vcn and 9.5% individual REIT stocks)

then i have an RRSP of a small amount making up about 24% of my portfolio...
(it holds 12.5% bonds ... 49% VXC ....12.2% VCN... and 25.10% individual REIT stocks )

and a margin account representing 30% of my portfolio...
(holding ...77%xaw and 22% xic ... )
(i have some cash in my margin account that represents 70% of the account...)

anyways, long story short, i started out doing all this with little bits of investment and as i moved on.. i realized i did not optimize and understand balancing nad trade fees etc., until i bought the individual stocks did it occur to me that i needed to reorganize? this a bit..

i guess i'd like to break down XAW into the three funds it mainly holds as a potential (any against to this?)
and .. i'd like to keep the trading costs low..
i do not have anymore RRSP room
and maybe sell? the VXC (since its similar to XAW is my understanding) ...
and yah keep most of my stocks in the margin and the bonds or REITs i nteh RRSP or TFSA?

i don't know what i'm missing in this analysis ... i'm hopign to bring my balance from its current mostly stocks to maybe a bit more stocks ... i read somewhere that much of hte gains made is made also from not losing the money, and stocks are three x more risky than bonds, any thoughts on this?

anyways, any wisdom would be appreciated
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1635 posts
565 upvotes
Montreal
braveblade wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 6:17 pm

It looks like you have it all figured out. Your portfolio looks great.
Sep 23, 2012
1 posts
1 upvote
Hamilton
MikeTO2 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 2:23 pm
Anyone have any suggestions for some alternative/clean energy index funds? Looking to add that to my current portfolio of XAW/XIC/VAB.
Didnt find any CAD funds, but am considering these 2 -
ICLN or PBW

Some others -
GEX
PUW
PBD

not a lot out there.
PZD is another one to consider. If you google "The Sustainable Economist" you'll find that he suggests a 15% allocation to PZD in a 60/40 equity/bond couch potato portfolio.
Jun 15, 2012
756 posts
51 upvotes
MB
Would it be wise to replace BSV with VWOB ,or at least go 50/50 ?
"I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."
- Warren Buffett
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1635 posts
565 upvotes
Montreal
nutcrackergirl wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 2:48 pm
wanted to ask if anyone has any advice or wisdom gained from experience about how to optimize my current portfolio... to include the breakdown of XAW ... into VUN/XEF/XEC
currently my portfolio is quite small
id like to keep adding money to it slowly , whenever i can
its about 44k

i have my TFSA making up 65% of my total portfolio...
(it holds mostly bonds of 69% bonds, and 15.6% vxc 4.5% vcn and 9.5% individual REIT stocks)

then i have an RRSP of a small amount making up about 24% of my portfolio...
(it holds 12.5% bonds ... 49% VXC ....12.2% VCN... and 25.10% individual REIT stocks )

and a margin account representing 30% of my portfolio...
(holding ...77%xaw and 22% xic ... )
(i have some cash in my margin account that represents 70% of the account...)

anyways, long story short, i started out doing all this with little bits of investment and as i moved on.. i realized i did not optimize and understand balancing nad trade fees etc., until i bought the individual stocks did it occur to me that i needed to reorganize? this a bit..

i guess i'd like to break down XAW into the three funds it mainly holds as a potential (any against to this?)
and .. i'd like to keep the trading costs low..
i do not have anymore RRSP room
and maybe sell? the VXC (since its similar to XAW is my understanding) ...
and yah keep most of my stocks in the margin and the bonds or REITs i nteh RRSP or TFSA?

i don't know what i'm missing in this analysis ... i'm hopign to bring my balance from its current mostly stocks to maybe a bit more stocks ... i read somewhere that much of hte gains made is made also from not losing the money, and stocks are three x more risky than bonds, any thoughts on this?

anyways, any wisdom would be appreciated
Hi nutcrackergirl,

I tried to calculate your overall asset allocation but somehow the percentages between the different accounts did not add up.

I think your portfolio looks very good. If you would like to make some tweaking I would avoid holding bonds in your TFSA and would put them in your RRSP instead. That's pretty much it.

I believe there is a lot of value in simple. I would not exchange XAW into VUN/XEF/XEC.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1635 posts
565 upvotes
Montreal
ukrainiandude wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 5:02 pm
Would it be wise to replace BSV with VWOB ,or at least go 50/50 ?
I would not do it. I do not take risks with my bonds holding. I want them to be ultra safe.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1635 posts
565 upvotes
Montreal
Jungle wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 8:46 pm
@Germack does your net worth include your house now?
It always has been included in my NW at its purchase price.