[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1655 posts
585 upvotes
Montreal
drey wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 9:34 am
For some of you managing your family's CCP as one whole portfolio for retirement, do you manage and rebalance your significant other's account separate from your own even though you managing everything as one CCP?

Say for example, let's say you need to add 50K to bonds, 50k to cad, 50k to ex-cad.

tfsa1, rrsp1 - yours
tfsa2, rrsp2 - husband/wife
non-reg - joint

Would you add 25k each to tfsa1 and tfsa2, and 25k to rrsp1 and rrsp2 and 50k into non-reg?
Or do you add 50k to either tfsa1 or tfsa2, 50k to either rrsp1 or rrsp2 and 50k into non-reg?

What do you guys recommend?
Each of us have their own "CCP" portfolio. A lot of my spouse money is invested in MAW104. A CCP is too complicated for her.
Dec 26, 2010
181 posts
29 upvotes
White Comet wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:44 pm
Because I'm with TDDI, would it be a viable option to contribute only once a year in a lump sum since the fees on each transaction aren't cheap. In addition, is there a difference in the CAD$ vanguard funds and the US$ vanguard funds? Seems like the US$ vanguard funds have better returns? But the exchange rate kind of kills the deal no?
I am also with TDDI.
I have combination:
1. Initial Lump sum on ETF CCP (TDDI $10 per thread but there was a promotion. So $0)
2. Twice a month contribution to TD eseries CCP
3. Yearly sell TD eseries CCP and move to ETF CCP with rebalancing

I started recently CCP so havent gotten to #3 yet.
Mar 10, 2010
864 posts
91 upvotes
garce wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 8:17 pm
I am also with TDDI.
I have combination:
1. Initial Lump sum on ETF CCP (TDDI $10 per thread but there was a promotion. So $0)

I second this approach as it's what I do. I only switch funds to ETF's from my e-series once I have ~$10-15k built up in the e-series as that means the cost of the trades is offset by the reduction in MER over a one year time frame.

The only difference between the Vanguard US$ and CAD$ is the lower MER of the US$ funds, performance will be the same +/- small amount of noise, but you do have to worry about currency conversion which can be problematic.
Jun 15, 2012
778 posts
60 upvotes
MB
Germack and others what do you think about my idea of an alternative CP portfolio?

--10% BSV
--45% IJR
--45% VSS

Plain and simple.
"I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."
- Warren Buffett
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3230 posts
1095 upvotes
ukrainiandude wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 9:00 pm
Germack and others what do you think about my idea of an alternative CP portfolio?

--10% BSV
--45% IJR
--45% VSS

Plain and simple.
Up to you, but a portfolio consisting of 90% small cap would be way too risky for me. Since all three seem to be U.S. based ETF's it's a question you may want to consider posting over at the Bogleheads forum.
Jan 25, 2012
176 posts
59 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Thoughts on my portfolio? I only have registered accounts right now and I'm 32 years old. House worth ~800k with 320K mortgage.

RRSP
30% VV
15% VGK
9% VPL
6% VWO
10% VAB

TFSA
30% VCN
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
6484 posts
354 upvotes
Richmond Hill
garce wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 8:17 pm
I am also with TDDI.
I have combination:

Sounds like a great idea. So you'd do this yearly? I probably will do the same. I just started with TDDI as well and started e-series early this year. Transaction fee will be $9.99 though each time I buy an ETF while e-series is free to buy/sell so if I follow CCP's ETF portfolio of 25% VCN and ZAG and 50% XAW that'd be $9.99 x 3. Wondering what would be the total portfolio amount that would make the conversion worthwhile to sell all my e-series and transfer over yearly?
Dec 26, 2010
181 posts
29 upvotes
jeffyjaixx wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 2:10 pm
Sounds like a great idea. So you'd do this yearly? I probably will do the same. I just started with TDDI as well and started e-series early this year. Transaction fee will be $9.99 though each time I buy an ETF while e-series is free to buy/sell so if I follow CCP's ETF portfolio of 25% VCN and ZAG and 50% XAW that'd be $9.99 x 3. Wondering what would be the total portfolio amount that would make the conversion worthwhile to sell all my e-series and transfer over yearly?
No idea. I just think is a cost of convenience. Maybe you can find another way but would be jumping through hoops etc for 30. If you find a reasoable alternative would love to know.
All in all happy that the MER Fees are super low. eseries is around .35. For other TD funds is 1.6.
On 100k, this is 1.25% difference which is CA$1250!!!
Sep 29, 2007
410 posts
49 upvotes
Frick is anyone getting slaughtered on their bond funds? I've been plowing into them over many years and about 3-4% in the red and certainly not a small $ value. I generally do CCP except for some of my bond stuff is PH&N due to their first quartile ranking. I do not reinvest distributions but rather take the cash...presumably the returns they publish include reinvested interest? The worst part being that I hold in my non taxable accounts (given unfavorable tax treatment of interest income), so I can't even use to offset gains in the future.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
6484 posts
354 upvotes
Richmond Hill
garce wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 2:26 pm
No idea. I just think is a cost of convenience. Maybe you can find another way but would be jumping through hoops etc for 30. If you find a reasoable alternative would love to know.
All in all happy that the MER Fees are super low. eseries is around .35. For other TD funds is 1.6.
On 100k, this is 1.25% difference which is CA$1250!!!
Just did some quick math, so if your portfolio is about $11,100, the difference in MER for the assertive e-series and ETF model portfolio is about $30. So I guess that would be the threshold amount to break even if you switched. If someone can double check the math, it’d be great.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3230 posts
1095 upvotes
In the TFSA's I've no plans to purchase ETF's until the portfolio reaches around $120,000. Credit to Andrew Hallam for giving me the idea. Even then, I'll do as I already do in the RRSP's and have a mix of mostly ETF's, but also TD e-Series to mop up any distributions, at least a $100 at a time.

In regards to bond funds they've been down for quite a while, but then I set my allocations a few years ago, and so far, I've no plans to change tack.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1655 posts
585 upvotes
Montreal
ukrainiandude wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 9:00 pm

--10% BSV
--45% IJR
--45% VSS

Plain and simple.
To be honest I don't like it. It is not diversified, 90% invested in small caps, very risky portfolio.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1655 posts
585 upvotes
Montreal
shiangsta wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 12:03 pm
Thoughts on my portfolio? I only have registered accounts right now and I'm 32 years old. House worth ~800k with 320K mortgage.

RRSP
30% VV
15% VGK
9% VPL
6% VWO
10% VAB

TFSA
30% VCN
Looks good to me. Very impressive networth for someone of your age.
Mar 10, 2010
864 posts
91 upvotes
retireat50 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 2:53 pm
Frick is anyone getting slaughtered on their bond funds? I've been plowing into them over many years and about 3-4% in the red and certainly not a small $ value. I generally do CCP except for some of my bond stuff is PH&N due to their first quartile ranking. I do not reinvest distributions but rather take the cash...presumably the returns they publish include reinvested interest? The worst part being that I hold in my non taxable accounts (given unfavorable tax treatment of interest income), so I can't even use to offset gains in the future.
Bond funds are definitely down in price, but the distributions have meant that I'm not into negative territory yet, I'm not sure how your returns are being reported, but in my TD account the returns are based solely on price changes and DO NOT account for any distributions, so you may want to check to see if you're really in the red or not.
jeffyjaixx wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 4:36 pm

Just did some quick math, so if your portfolio is about $11,100, the difference in MER for the assertive e-series and ETF model portfolio is about $30. So I guess that would be the threshold amount to break even if you switched. If someone can double check the math, it’d be great.
Yup, that's what my math generally shows too, which is why I only switch when I hit the $10-15k threshold
Jan 14, 2010
501 posts
95 upvotes
retireat50 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 2:53 pm
Yes, if not slaughtered then pretty beat up. About 6-8 months ago I changed my additions to FI to go via GICs vs bonds. They are pitiful, but I'm not losing on them (which I have on bond ETFs fairly consistently since unfortunately starting CCP ~18 months ago). Funny enough, I have these in my taxable account for 2 reasons: a) I haven't figured out ACB, etc. to deal with ETFs in my taxable account and b) returns on FI are so much lower than my equities that I might as well pay tax on such a little amount.