• Nov 16th, 2017 10:40 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 28, 2015
225 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Hi OP and All :)

Not sure where to ask, so I decided to do it here..not planning to hijack, if so, im' sorry :)
Have over 100k in e-series with waterhouse, and I am guessing at this point I should sell my e-series and start getting ETFs..?

My portfolio is currently made up of:

25% - CDN index-e
25% - US index-e
20% - Intl index-e
20% - Nasdaq index-e
10% - CDN bond index-e

I'm guessing, next steps would be to sell all and buy corresponding ETFs? I'd like to follow the CCP model, but not sure what equivalent (or similar) ETFs would be. Also, since there are transaction fees, I should be buying new ETFs once a year or so? (and throughout the year keep buying e-series then convert to ETFs, I am guessing?)

Sorry if I don't have the correct understanding, and would also appreciate help with selecting ETFs.
Mar 10, 2010
890 posts
100 upvotes
I can't offer advice on which ETF's to purchase (CCP is a great resource), but I can offer advice on ETF/E-series mix. I use ETF's for the majority of my funds while my monthly contributions go into e-series. Once I hit $10 000 in my e-series (and the 30 day hold time is over) I then move funds over to the ETF's. My e-series also mop up my distributions so that I'm effectively 100% invested 97.3% of the time.
nahsha wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:20 pm

Not sure where to ask, so I decided to do it here..not planning to hijack, if so, im' sorry :)
Have over 100k in e-series with waterhouse, and I am guessing at this point I should sell my e-series and start getting ETFs..?

25% - CDN index-e
25% - US index-e
20% - Intl index-e
20% - Nasdaq index-e
10% - CDN bond index-e

I'm guessing, next steps would be to sell all and buy corresponding ETFs? I'd like to follow the CCP model, but not sure what equivalent (or similar) ETFs would be. Also, since there are transaction fees, I should be buying new ETFs once a year or so? (and throughout the year keep buying e-series then convert to ETFs, I am guessing?)

Sorry if I don't have the correct understanding, and would also appreciate help with selecting ETFs.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
5167 posts
1204 upvotes
Toronto
wolfs004 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 2:39 pm
this is a lousy thread, market neutral is king.
Lol, I'll definitely follow you on your thread but why is this thread lousy?
Illegitimi non carborundum
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2016
1360 posts
512 upvotes
Houston, TX
wolfs004 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 2:39 pm
this is a lousy thread, market neutral is king.
Be rich in boring, lousy way or be broken with style...the choice is yours ;)
Make the Trudeau drama teacher again!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1684 posts
649 upvotes
Montreal
nahsha wrote:

25% - CDN index-e
25% - US index-e
20% - Intl index-e
20% - Nasdaq index-e
10% - CDN bond index-e

MER Savings ETF.png

By switching to ETFs you would save around $265 per year minus purchase fees for the ETFs.
Feb 28, 2015
225 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Germack wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 9:18 pm
MER Savings ETF.png

By switching to ETFs you would save around $265 per year minus purchase fees for the ETFs.
Thanks for the info, that sounds good!

Question:

1) Can I buy all 3 (ZAG, VCN and XAW) using td waterhouse? (I'll probably have a break down of 25%, 25% and 50%)
2) Can I buy them as is, or are some of these trade in USD, so I would need to do Norbert’s Gambit, or not necessary?

Appreciated again!
Mar 1, 2016
713 posts
222 upvotes
Germack wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:19 pm
Wow, the thread has almost 100 up votes. Thanks guys. This makes me very happy :)
here you go... always a good sane read, so deserved
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2001
1459 posts
256 upvotes
GMA
nahsha wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 1:08 am

Question:

1) Can I buy all 3 (ZAG, VCN and XAW) using td waterhouse? (I'll probably have a break down of 25%, 25% and 50%)
2) Can I buy them as is, or are some of these trade in USD, so I would need to do Norbert’s Gambit, or not necessary?

Appreciated again!
All 3 can be purchased at any canadian broker, including TD Direct Investing. All 3 are trading in CAD so there's no currency conversion required.
Oct 21, 2009
227 posts
40 upvotes
nahsha wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 1:08 am

Question:

Appreciated again!
I'm with TD as well and have these ETF's. No issues. Easy to do.
Jan 23, 2017
40 posts
48 upvotes
nahsha wrote:
Are your investments in registered or a non-reg account? Although I'm a relative n00b to the CCP strategy, one thing piece of advice that I've been following with respect to non-reg accounts is to make purchases in TD e-Series funds to ease the tax reporting aspect, as it's technically a mutual fund. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Feb 28, 2015
225 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal, QC
My investments are in RRSP. I will be selling the e-series shortly and buying ETFs instead.
Nov 25, 2007
182 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Germack wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 9:18 pm
MER Savings ETF.png

nahsha wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 3:49 pm
My investments are in RRSP. I will be selling the e-series shortly and buying ETFs instead.
Hi nahsha, just out of curiosity, the reason you're selling your TD E-Series funds and buying ETFs is to save the $265/year (approx) management fee, correct? Is there any other reasons for doing the switch? (ie, better return rate on ETFs than E-Series etc.)

I'm sorry for the newbie questions. The reason I'm asking is that I'm going to start my CCP portfolio, and I'm leaning towards the E-Series (because I have minimal investment knowledge, so I thought E-Series would be easier for me). As a RFDer, I surely don't want to pay too much on the commision/management fee. But if all it costs is less than $300/year on a $100K portfolio, then as a investment newbie, I think I'll take the E-Series for its convenience.

Am I missing anything?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1684 posts
649 upvotes
Montreal
imclumzy wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 10:29 am
Are your investments in registered or a non-reg account? Although I'm a relative n00b to the CCP strategy, one thing piece of advice that I've been following with respect to non-reg accounts is to make purchases in TD e-Series funds to ease the tax reporting aspect, as it's technically a mutual fund. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Index funds and ETFs are relatively easy to report on your tax returns. Just enter the numbers on your T3 / T5 into your tax software.