Dec 31st, 2014 6:28 pm
Year End Update

Networth 31.12.2013: $671,840
Networth 31.12.2014: $805,605
Increase: $133,765 (19.9%)

Savings (Income - Expenses): $49,678
Investment Gains: $84,087

http://s30.postimg.org/52dq14dm9/Net2014.png
I am little bit confused here. It would nice if you have graph of yearly investment and ROI in two separate graphs. It is not clear how much you have invested every year and how much return you have received so far.
Oct 19, 2012
112 posts
18 upvotes
Where ever my CC is
OP, If you don't mind my asking, at what age did you start investing? I'm looking for some inspiration :)
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1588 posts
194 upvotes
OP, just a question, i read the first 7 pages and enjoyed it you've really inspired me to do more with my investments. I have a question i don't think you covered this yet and I was curious.

I know you said you contribute to your investment several times a month, I was curious how much operating cash do you keep on hand, like in your non investment accounts. Do you try to keep very little cash and put most of it into your investments as soon as you can? If it's too personal of the question you don't have to answer. When trying to minimize the cash you keep on hand, do you have any back up incase you need cash in a short period without needing to withdraw/sell from your investments? Im wondering if that is the best approach or if keeping a higher amount of cash on hand is better.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
563 upvotes
Toronto
narbajaj wrote:
Dec 31st, 2014 7:08 pm
I am little bit confused here. It would nice if you have graph of yearly investment and ROI in two separate graphs. It is not clear how much you have invested every year and how much return you have received so far.
Yeah that would be nice :D Way to go OP though!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1767 posts
767 upvotes
Montreal
@narbaja: Unfortunately, I do not have these numbers. I would guess around 450-500k are from savings and 300-350k are from investment gains.

@elitepilot09: I started to invest using this strategy after I graduated from university, around 9.5 years ago. I was in my mid-twenties at this time.

@tdott: I keep very little cash. Only around 5k in a chequing account. If needed, I would liquidate some of my investments. We may purchase a home soon. If we do we will start to put some money (~25k) in a high interest savings account as a rainy day fund.

@mr_raider. Just for fun. It just shows that my increase in net-worth is accelerating. Compound interest at work.
Feb 24, 2010
71 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Great work, OP. I've been indexing for almost 3.5 years. My overall return has been about 25%. I wish I finished school sooner, so I could have been investing in 2009-2010 when everything was cheap and benefitted from the full bull market. I finally got my TFSA and RRSP maxed last year and just started a non-registered account. I'm way behind you, but it's definitely encouraging to hear about your success.

One question: Do you hold any Real Estate in your non-registered account and, if so, how bad is the tax hit on it?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8641 posts
495 upvotes
Toronto
Very nice. Inspiration for a starter here.
Nov 9, 2012
119 posts
9 upvotes
GUELPH
well done OP! I wish my investments from my 20s to now were even remotely close to yours.
Mar 25, 2005
295 posts
80 upvotes
windsor
Germack wrote:
Jan 1st, 2015 9:42 pm
@narbaja: Unfortunately, I do not have these numbers. I would guess around 450-500k are from savings and 300-350k are from investment gains.

@elitepilot09: I started to invest using this strategy after I graduated from university, around 9.5 years ago. I was in my mid-twenties at this time.

@tdott: I keep very little cash. Only around 5k in a chequing account. If needed, I would liquidate some of my investments. We may purchase a home soon. If we do we will start to put some money (~25k) in a high interest savings account as a rainy day fund.

@mr_raider. Just for fun. It just shows that my increase in net-worth is accelerating. Compound interest at work.
Just curious, do you use RRSP/TFSA tax shelter account to invest as it has benefit but also has few drawback if you make a loss. Do you use Questrade for your investment or do you use big banks for brokerage. How much money do you think you pay for buying/selling transactions? Is your dividends are tax deducted from the source before you get it or do you report it in your tax returns. How often do you sell your shares to make up your losses?
Penalty Box
Apr 16, 2012
3565 posts
682 upvotes
Greely
Harps wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 3:15 pm
Great work, OP. I've been indexing for almost 3.5 years. My overall return has been about 24%. I wish I finished school sooner, so I could have been investing in 2009-2010 when everything was cheap and benefitted from the full bull market. I finally got my TFSA and RRSP maxed last year and just started a non-registered account. I'm way behind you, but it's definitely encouraging to hear about your success.

One question: Do you hold any Real Estate in your non-registered account and, if so, how bad is the tax hit on it?
If you have been indexing for 3.5 years...aka started in 2010-2011...how are you only up 24%?
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2010
1633 posts
379 upvotes
Vancouver
techcrium wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 10:06 pm
If you have been indexing for 3.5 years...aka started in 2010-2011...how are you only up 24%?
Here we go again....
Feb 24, 2010
71 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
techcrium wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 10:06 pm
Easily. I started in late 2011 with nothing and made small contributions over the first few years. Only recently have I been able to increase my contributions significantly. The bulk of my contributions were made over the past year.
Sep 3, 2008
72 posts
12 upvotes
narbajaj wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 9:05 pm
Just curious, do you use RRSP/TFSA tax shelter account to invest as it has benefit but also has few drawback if you make a loss. Do you use Questrade for your investment or do you use big banks for brokerage. How much money do you think you pay for buying/selling transactions? Is your dividends are tax deducted from the source before you get it or do you report it in your tax returns. How often do you sell your shares to make up your losses?
+1, would also like to know how your assets are allocated among your accounts, thanks!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)