None
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3311 posts
688 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Faith786 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 5:58 pm
Is it still wise to buy more e series index funds during this down trend?
Yup, you're buying more units since lower price... they are on sale!!
Jul 20, 2009
116 posts
4 upvotes
Montreal
Between March and June 2017, I put $83300 25% each in the TD e-series - Cad Bond, CAD equity, US equity and International equity. It reached almost $90000 over a week ago but back to $83700 to where I started almost a year ago. Anyways, I invested another $10K today for my 2 kids RESP for the last 2 years. I balanced the portfolio by buying more Cad bonds and equity. Let's see how this goes....
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1588 posts
465 upvotes
Winnipeg
starbucksguy wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 11:19 am
Timing the market is possible.

Listen to peter schiff. He is calling for a crash
Of course it is, just like it is possible to create a billion dollar company. Needs a lot of skills and even then one could fail, not everyone's cup of tea, starbucksguy (see what i did there).

Also, as a sidenote, you are in the wrong thread talking about market timing...Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Oct 17, 2015
205 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Raww wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 2:53 pm
Between March and June 2017, I put $83300 25% each in the TD e-series - Cad Bond, CAD equity, US equity and International equity. It reached almost $90000 over a week ago but back to $83700 to where I started almost a year ago. Anyways, I invested another $10K today for my 2 kids RESP for the last 2 years. I balanced the portfolio by buying more Cad bonds and equity. Let's see how this goes....
Thank you for sharing this. It Is posts like this that convey a clearer picture from which one can coclude one's own conclusions
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
28630 posts
2063 upvotes
Winnipeg
Germack wrote:
Jan 17th, 2018 10:41 pm
The MER is between 0.12 and 0.16 if you are using ZAG, VCN and XAW. For the exact MER have a look at the canadiancouchpotato blog.

I have no idea what the rate hike will do to ETFs neither do I care.
I'm looking at the detail, but not sure what these terms mean, can you enlighten me?
1. What is P/E?
2. Is Yield like interest rate? How is that different from Div? is Div the number of shares I get per year per share I own?
3. What is borrow rate? Why is it blank?
4. Is Ex-date the date of the last cycle?
5. Which venue is TACOPCANTC?
6. What is EPS?
7. What is Long and short MR? Is 30% the default?
xaw.PNG
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
28630 posts
2063 upvotes
Winnipeg
AdsJoint wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 5:43 pm
Thank you for sharing this. It Is posts like this that convey a clearer picture from which one can coclude one's own conclusions
he is just buying on the dip like what most people should do, i also increased my position by 6k
Deal Addict
Apr 16, 2009
1153 posts
382 upvotes
Vancouver
divx wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 1:28 pm
he is just buying on the dip like what most people should do, i also increased my position by 6k
When you make such a statement...but then ask a list of questions....all of which google had a quick answer for... :facepalm:
divx wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 1:23 pm
I'm looking at the detail, but not sure what these terms mean, can you enlighten me?
1. What is P/E?
2. Is Yield like interest rate? How is that different from Div? is Div the number of shares I get per year per share I own?
3. What is borrow rate? Why is it blank?
4. Is Ex-date the date of the last cycle?
5. Which venue is TACOPCANTC?
6. What is EPS?
7. What is Long and short MR? Is 30% the default?

xaw.PNG
1. Price - earnings ratio
2. Income return - so yes interest or dividends
3. Probably having to do with margin or something.
4. Your text to link here...
5. Likely multiple venues, not just one.
6. Earnings per share
7. Margin call -
short and long positions
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
28630 posts
2063 upvotes
Winnipeg
DefconZero wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 1:55 pm
When you make such a statement...but then ask a list of questions....all of which google had a quick answer for... :facepalm:

1. Price - earnings ratio
2. Income return - so yes interest or dividends
3. Probably having to do with margin or something.
4. Your text to link here...
5. Likely multiple venues, not just one.
6. Earnings per share
7. Margin call -
short and long positions
well i know about buy low sell high, just not familiar with all the technical matters
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1588 posts
465 upvotes
Winnipeg
divx wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 2:15 pm
well i know about buy low sell high, just not familiar with all the technical matters
and still you'd end up doing better than most people who know this stuff. psychology is as important as knowledge when it comes to investing. knowledge you can leverage/ buy with $$. there is no alternative for psychology, you have to have it.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
28630 posts
2063 upvotes
Winnipeg
amitdi wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 2:19 pm
and still you'd end up doing better than most people who know this stuff. psychology is as important as knowledge when it comes to investing. knowledge you can leverage/ buy with $$. there is no alternative for psychology, you have to have it.
i don't get excited as much since the days of trading crypto back then, double digit fluctuations are nothing special. just need to stay the course.
Mar 19, 2016
60 posts
15 upvotes
canada
ksgill wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 12:24 pm
Of course it would be better if you didn't experience a 30% drop when starting off but the point is that there is nothing actionable about it. There is no way to control these dips and you'll most likely end up losing more in sitting out/trying to time the market than the actual drop would cost you.

What if you wait and the market gains 30%?
Actually it would be great for it to drop 30% when he's just starting. Mentally yeah I get it, it's super hard to stay the course. BUT it would be an amazing buying opportunity that would set up his portfolio for the rest of his life.
Oct 19, 2016
614 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
Need your advice... Is there any withholding tax in non registered account ? For the canadian ETF such as below ...

VUN (CDN)
XEF (CDN)
EVEE (CDN)

Germack wrote:
Aug 14th, 2016 4:58 pm
I am quite happy about my asset allocation (20% Bonds, 10% Real Estate and 17.5% in Canadian, US, International and Emerging Market equities), so I would not change that.

I would use the following ETFS:
Bonds --> VAB
Real Estate --> I would not buy an ETF due to the high MER. Instead I would buy equal amounts of BEI, REF, HR and REI.
Canadian equity --> VCN
US Equity --> VTI (US) or VUN (CDN)
International --> XEF (CDN) or VEA (US)
Emerging markets --> VWO (US) or VEE (CDN)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
5502 posts
1540 upvotes
Toronto
dustinsa wrote:
Feb 18th, 2018 4:21 pm
Actually it would be great for it to drop 30% when he's just starting. Mentally yeah I get it, it's super hard to stay the course. BUT it would be an amazing buying opportunity that would set up his portfolio for the rest of his life.
Yes, but there is nothing actionable about it. Sure, it would be great but my response was about trying to time contributions about these events (drops), which is very hard to do consistently.
Illegitimi non carborundum
Nov 7, 2016
53 posts
3 upvotes
im curious about this strategy by the OP
currently my portfolio is quite small and it consists of

22.6% GIC (oaken, 2.95% return for three years i think)
36.73% bonds (XBB, ZAG, i bought both back when i was still trying to learn, only a few short months ago actually, how long would it take approx to make the $5 sell fee back to replace one with another? any comments on if either is better in some way..)
14.28% XAW (domestic canadian market)
20.07% XIC (international, usa market)
5.72% on three stocks of REI.UN, HR.UN, CAR.UN (REIT stocks)
0.552% cash (its like $400)

my portfolio is very small, i own no actual property, i own two bars of physical gold, some pure silver coins and a small plot of cemetery burial ground i got at a deal in the north toronto area few months ago

i guess a few months ago i was also super super risk adverse, to the point where i felt like i would vomit if i saw my money fluctuate
now i am a bit better, i am more willing to take some risks
my questions
- any improvements you can see to my portfolio to increase returns?
- i was speaking with a friend recently, oddly he's only 1 year younger than me (im turning 30 in a month this year) and he says all of his investments at the moment are in blue chip stocks only, with a VFV etf for the US tech market and then he has a hoard of cash in his savings account waiting for the market to crash to buy more blue chip stocks (when will this happen? i feel like the world as it is so linked, each crash is not as bad as the previous, comments here?), anyways so he says he goes "hard" and "aggressive" cause "im young" and cause he thinks the blue chip stocks, they can withstand anything and he plans to hold them till retirement, no selling - ever -
he says i need some of these, any thoughts on this? what percentage? what kind? he recommends some bank stocks to start
- any comments on weed stocks

i guess because im so risk adverse ive always seen the ETF-only portfolio as the way to go with investing, but as you can see, i have dumped a good deal into the bonds ETF and they are not the best for returns, i have some new cash to put into the investments and want to know if buying more ETFs or adding few of his blue chip stock suggestions or putting in few more stocks for the REITs, which one is preferable?

the OP has gotten 10 years worth of good growth lately, i am not sure if the market will perform as well in the future..

Germack wrote:
Jun 6th, 2014 4:19 pm
Hi RFD,

After reading several articles, forums, blogs and academic studies, I came to the conclusion that the best way to invest my money is in a low cost diversified portfolio.

I have been applying this investment strategy for the last 12 years and would like to share my progress with you. With this post I hope to inspire others who are thinking about following a similar approach.

I graduated from university 12 years ago and found a job shortly after graduation. My starting salary was around 60K. A bit more than half of my take home pay was invested each month in a low cost diversified portfolio using TD e-series index funds and ETFs.

My portfolio is a modified Couch Potato Portfolio with the following asset allocation:
- Around 20% of my money is invested in Bonds (Ing Direct)
- Around 10% is invested in Real Estate (XRE)
- Around 17.5% is invested in Canadian equities (XIC, CDZ)
- Around 17.5% is invested in US equities (TD US IND e-series, VTI)
- Around 17.5% is invested in Emerging Market equities (VWO, XEM)
- Around 17.5% is invested in European equities (TD Euro IND e-series, VGK)

I have been sticking to this investing plan for the last 12 years and never attempted to time the market.

I have been tracking my net-worth on a bi-monthly basis for the last 12 years.

Update #1: Networth 01NOV2017.

NW_NOV2017.png

Update #2: Savings vs. investment gains (2010 -2016)

SAvings vs Investment Gains.png

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

freilona