Couch potato investing for the last 12 years - tracking my progress

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2019 10:02 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 7, 2019
3 posts
3 upvotes
I have purchase the e-series fund 4 years ago, but haven't contributed other than reinvesting the dividends. Am I better off selling them? From reading the articles, you can only make money if you are contributing regularly.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1089 posts
195 upvotes
sushislut604 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 9:02 pm
I have purchase the e-series fund 4 years ago, but haven't contributed other than reinvesting the dividends. Am I better off selling them? From reading the articles, you can only make money if you are contributing regularly.
Which articles are you reading? You've clearly misread them. The money you've already put in will continue to accrue value as the underlying indexes rise over time (it's a general long-term trend). In addition you'll be earning the regular distributions. Of course, you can grow your future investments even faster by contributing regularly and re-starting at anytime isn't a problem either.
Dec 22, 2018
6 posts
Thanks all for your great advice here.
My first pick for ETFs:
Equities (60-70%), considering those below:
US one of the (ITOT, VTI or VBR)
Can one of the (VCE or VCN),
international : VEA
Bonds (40-30%), US: IUSB, Can:XBB or ZAG , Int: VAB
The weight average of MER above are lower than the one-fund solution from Vanguard (0.22).
I plan to do it in RRSP. First using the NG method converse my CAD to US, then buy those US dominated ETFs.
Please share with your thoughts and feel free to give me some suggestions. I greatly appreciate it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1868 posts
990 upvotes
Montreal
I like to keep it simple. I would just go with the one-fund solution.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4052 posts
1135 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Folks you have done 99% of the heavy lifting... no need to complicate with various % of different etfs... simple like Germack said.