• Oct 21st, 2017 7:48 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 15, 2012
778 posts
60 upvotes
MB
Congratulations Germack !

Based on your over a decade experience. With all knowledge and wisdom squired .
If you were to start today from a scratch with 100k, how would to build your portfolio ( % ) and which ETFs would you include in it ? As not to oversimplify but also not to collect all possible ETFs on the market.

Thank you for your time.
"I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."
- Warren Buffett
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2010
4239 posts
3155 upvotes
Congrats on another milestone! They usually say the 2nd million comes quicker than the first.... :)

Rod
Everything about my Investing and automated Trading strategies to boost your income: https://boostyourincome.ca
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
3979 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto
Germack wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 8:46 pm
jerryhung wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 4:26 pm
Congrats to Germack (and gf?) indeed!!
Thanks jerryhung. I love your credit card thread.

The graph does not include my gfs networth. Her networth is ~625K, or at least it was in JAN2016. She only updates it once a year. Investing stresses her out and setting up a couch potato portfolio is too complicated for her. Therefore, all her money is invested in MAW104.
would she stand to lose a lot if MAW104 cease operation? Or will she just get all her money back?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2475 posts
409 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Congrats and even better you are sharing your wisdom [at great rfd prices = free].
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1655 posts
585 upvotes
Montreal
No, she would not. She would only lose a lot if the equities picked by the managers would lose a lot in value. If the managers just decide to liquidate the fund she would get "all" her money back.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1655 posts
585 upvotes
Montreal
I am quite happy about my asset allocation (20% Bonds, 10% Real Estate and 17.5% in Canadian, US, International and Emerging Market equities), so I would not change that.

I would use the following ETFS:
Bonds --> VAB
Real Estate --> I would not buy an ETF due to the high MER. Instead I would buy equal amounts of BEI, REF, HR and REI.
Canadian equity --> VCN
US Equity --> VTI (US) or VUN (CDN)
International --> XEF (CDN) or VEA (US)
Emerging markets --> VWO (US) or VEE (CDN)
Last edited by Germack on Aug 20th, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
3658 posts
434 upvotes
Montreal
Germack wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 8:46 pm
jerryhung wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 4:26 pm
Congrats to Germack (and gf?) indeed!!
Thanks jerryhung. I love your credit card thread.

The graph does not include my gfs networth. Her networth is ~625K, or at least it was in JAN2016. She only updates it once a year. Investing stresses her out and setting up a couch potato portfolio is too complicated for her. Therefore, all her money is invested in MAW104.
Do you think her non-registered account would have been better off in MAW105 instead? Thanks.
Jan 16, 2009
150 posts
67 upvotes
Hey Germack. Great job man! I've been following this thread for the last few years and admire your discipline with regards to investing and saving.

Now that you have hit the million mark what is your next goal? I know you want to pay down the mortgage but is there another number you have in your sights?

Also I understand you are foregoing bonds in your portfolio and supplementing them with your mortgage instead. I recall you developed an ulcer due to the stress caused by the downtown in 2008-2009 (as would most investors) but you stayed the course. Now that you are seasoned would observing your portfolio drop by 30-40% in another financial crisis be less stressful this time around?

Thanks again for the great thread. Fantastic information here.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1118 posts
311 upvotes
Mississauga
Germack, your commitment, and perseverance are truly inspirational. Congratulations on your new home and reaching that coveted milestone. Hope you will achieve many more in your investment career.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2475 posts
409 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Germack wrote:
Aug 14th, 2016 4:58 pm
I am quite happy about my asset allocation (20% Bonds, 10% Real Estate and 17.5% in Canadian, US, International and Emerging Market equities), so I would not change that.

I would use the following ETFS:
Bonds --> VAB
Real Estate --> I would not buy an ETF due to the high MER. Instead I would buy equal amounts of BEI, REF, HR and REI.
Canadian equity --> VCE
Would you put the following first in RRSPs or not necessary:

Thanks and great thread.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1655 posts
585 upvotes
Montreal
cn_habs wrote:
Aug 14th, 2016 10:42 pm
Do you think her non-registered account would have been better off in MAW105 instead? Thanks.
You are right. MAW105 is the better option in a non-registered account. Thanks for pointing this out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1655 posts
585 upvotes
Montreal
georvu wrote:
Aug 15th, 2016 3:53 pm
Would you put the following first in RRSPs or not necessary:

Thanks and great thread.
RRSP
US equity > International = Emerging markets

TFSA
International/Emerging markets > Us equity
Jun 15, 2012
778 posts
60 upvotes
MB
Japanese "S&P 500" sort of

Nikkei 225 reached
on April 14, 2000
And as of present August 16, 2016

Apparently couch potato would not work in Japan

Dividends though
"I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."
- Warren Buffett