Couch potato investing for the last 18 years - tracking my progress

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2024 3:36 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 18, 2017
150 posts
128 upvotes
Thanks everyone for your input. If you could invest in one of the ETF's below. Which would you choose ?

VEQT
VOO
VGRO
XGRO

I am looking for maximum growth and my time horizon is 30+ years.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1546 posts
1600 upvotes
Scorpionking999 wrote: Thanks everyone for your input. If you could invest in one of the ETF's below. Which would you choose ?

VEQT
VOO
VGRO
XGRO

VOO (90%) + QLD (10%) is what i do. Great returns Electric Light Bulb
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2902 posts
4581 upvotes
Scorpionking999 wrote: Thanks for your input. How can one recover withholding taxes ? Is it tax deductible or how is it recoverable if you buy ETF ?
US withholding tax is not taken off in your RRSP. The issue is that for Canadian funds like VFV its automatically taken off and not recoverable.

For larger amounts it can make sense to own a fund like VOO or VT in a RRSP account. You need to consider the cost to convert CDN to USD and that your going to get your dividends in USD. Your also going to want a US Dollar RRSP account to own US ETFs.
Jul 25, 2018
784 posts
1241 upvotes
Milton, ON
Scorpionking999 wrote: Thanks everyone for your input. If you could invest in one of the ETF's below. Which would you choose ?

VEQT
VOO
VGRO
XGRO

Stocks have historically returned significantly more than bonds so I'd pick the ETF with the most stock exposure (i.e. VEQT).

However, everyone wants maximum growth and says their time horizon is 30+ years.. Until their portfolio drops 25%. Would you truly be able to stomach such a decline? What about 50%? Unless you've been through a prolonged market downturn (dot com bubble, 2008-2009 financial crisis) and was able to hold on without panicking, I would think carefully about going for an all-equity portfolio.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2280 posts
991 upvotes
Toronto
Scorpionking999 wrote: I am looking for maximum growth and my time horizon is 30+ years.
If you are only looking for maximum growth (which I really doubt it Smiling Face With Open Mouth), you should try a Triple-Leveraged ETFs like ProShares UltraPro S&P500 - UPRO.
Last edited by andrew4321 on Apr 12th, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 18, 2017
150 posts
128 upvotes
Chance7652 wrote: US withholding tax is not taken off in your RRSP. The issue is that for Canadian funds like VFV its automatically taken off and not recoverable.

For larger amounts it can make sense to own a fund like VOO or VT in a RRSP account. You need to consider the cost to convert CDN to USD and that your going to get your dividends in USD. Your also going to want a US Dollar RRSP account to own US ETFs.
Thanks for your input. Does Questrade allow one to open US RRSP Account ? I dont want to convert CDN-USD and lose on FX. Thanks again.
Nov 18, 2017
150 posts
128 upvotes
JoelK22976 wrote: Stocks have historically returned significantly more than bonds so I'd pick the ETF with the most stock exposure (i.e. VEQT).

However, everyone wants maximum growth and says their time horizon is 30+ years.. Until their portfolio drops 25%. Would you truly be able to stomach such a decline? What about 50%? Unless you've been through a prolonged market downturn (dot com bubble, 2008-2009 financial crisis) and was able to hold on without panicking, I would think carefully about going for an all-equity portfolio.
Thanks for your input. ETF investment will be a very small portion of my portfolio and I am comfortable even if it goes to 0%.
Jul 25, 2018
784 posts
1241 upvotes
Milton, ON
andrew4321 wrote: If you are only looking for maximum growth (which I really doubt it Smiling Face With Open Mouth), you should try a Triple-Leveraged ETFs like ProShares UltraPro family.
3x leveraged ETFs are not suitable for long-term investors. Simple reason being the drops are much more drastic and will take longer to breakeven. For example, if it drops 50%, you'd need to gain 100% to breakeven ($100 goes down to $50, you would need 100%, or $50, to get back to $100).
Jul 25, 2018
784 posts
1241 upvotes
Milton, ON
Scorpionking999 wrote: Thanks for your input. ETF investment will be a very small portion of my portfolio and I am comfortable even if it goes to 0%.
I've lived through the financial crisis and actually considered selling because it was a scary time.. Boy am I glad I didn't. Tune out the headlines, stay the course, maintain your asset allocation and buy the dips. It's easy to say, but difficult to implement. Good luck and wish you the best.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2902 posts
4581 upvotes
Scorpionking999 wrote: Thanks for your input. Does Questrade allow one to open US RRSP Account ? I dont want to convert CDN-USD and lose on FX. Thanks again.
I'll let someone else answer about Questrade as I don't have an account with them.

Do some research on Norbits Gambit to keep your exchange cost down. I think your going to want at least 10k at a time to have this make sense. 25k would be ideal.

I've tried owing US index funds but it didn't work well for me as I ended up trading too much. I now just own Canadian etfs.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1546 posts
1600 upvotes
JoelK22976 wrote: 3x leveraged ETFs are not suitable for long-term investors. Simple reason being the drops are much more drastic and will take longer to breakeven. For example, if it drops 50%, you'd need to gain 100% to breakeven ($100 goes down to $50, you would need 100%, or $50, to get back to $100).
This is true! What i do with my portfolio (90% VOO and 10% QLD) i dont reinvest my Dividends and when it really dips hard i use that money + my own to buy cheap. Had awesome returns in the last 5 years or so doing it :)
Aug 7, 2014
563 posts
243 upvotes
ukrainiandude wrote: Interesting view
The problem of this JP Morgan's chart is that the starting year for the S&P500 index is 1999, before the tech bubble. If the chart goes back to a few decades longer, it would show that the S&P500 would yield about 13%+ annually, dividends included. The S&P500 has gone up about 16% since Jan 1, 2019.
Nov 18, 2017
150 posts
128 upvotes
Bubblegum86 wrote: This is true! What i do with my portfolio (90% VOO and 10% QLD) i dont reinvest my Dividends and when it really dips hard i use that money + my own to buy cheap. Had awesome returns in the last 5 years or so doing it :)
That's great to hear. Would you mind sharing estimated return for the past 5 years ? I am leaning towards VOO but being in US plus witholding taxes makes me weary
Jul 25, 2018
784 posts
1241 upvotes
Milton, ON
Bubblegum86 wrote: This is true! What i do with my portfolio (90% VOO and 10% QLD) i dont reinvest my Dividends and when it really dips hard i use that money + my own to buy cheap. Had awesome returns in the last 5 years or so doing it :)
With leveraged ETFs, this is basically market timing which I avoid. If it works for you, great and I hope it continues to work. Not for everyone though.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2009
6135 posts
1981 upvotes
Scarborough
Scorpionking999 wrote: Thanks for your input. Does Questrade allow one to open US RRSP Account ? I dont want to convert CDN-USD and lose on FX. Thanks again.
You are able to hold USD cash and US equity in your Questrade RRSP. I don't think they distinguish between CAD and USD accounts like other brokers do.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2018
1530 posts
2457 upvotes
Hamilton
Anybody here using Passiv with Questrade? I've been really enjoying the service so far, not sure if I'll keep the premium account when my trial runs out until my account is large enough to justify the fees. $54 a year (found a promo code) really only makes sense when your portfolio is >$50K.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1546 posts
1600 upvotes
SkimGuy wrote: You are able to hold USD cash and US equity in your Questrade RRSP. I don't think they distinguish between CAD and USD accounts like other brokers do.
Questrade shows you separate columns for CAD, USD and combined. I believe when you sign up with Questrade they ask if you are planning to trade in USD (been a few years so cant remember)
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
2837 posts
1011 upvotes
Saskatoon
Scorpionking999 wrote: With markets being high now, is it a good time to invest in ETF now?
“Best day to invest is today and the second best day will be tomorrow.”
It’s a myth circulating on this forum and distributed by stock market pumpers, the more investors buy the higher stocks go.
All those writer are heavy invested in stocks/ETFs, they will justify for you to buy immediately because it will generate more income for them. Conflict of interest.
No need to type thank you; upvote=thanks.
Buffett, investors are focusing “not on what an asset will produce but rather on what the next fellow will pay for it.”

“Because gold is honest money it is disliked by dishonest men.” – R. Paul
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6582 posts
9090 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
ukrainiandude wrote: “Best day to invest is today and the second best day will be tomorrow.”
It’s a myth circulating on this forum and distributed by stock market pumpers, the more investors buy the higher stocks go.
All those writer are heavy invested in stocks/ETFs, they will justify for you to buy immediately because it will generate more income for them. Conflict of interest.
Lol OK then because asking a randon internet poster to buy an index fund on a large, mass market fund has such an affect on the prices that we spend hours convincing people to buy so we can pad our bank account.

And similarily you tell people to buy gold so it pushes up demand so the price is higher and you can cash out at a higher price then.
Support your local Credit Union!

RRSP where you can deposit with a Credit Card, earn rewards investing!
RFD Saskatchewan Pension Plan

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)