Couch potato investing for the last 9 years - tracking my progress
After reading several articles, forums, blogs and academic studies, I came to the conclusion that the best way to invest my money is in a low cost diversified portfolio.
I have been applying this investment strategy for the last 9 years and would like to share my progress with you. With this post I hope to inspire others who are thinking about following a similar approach.
I graduated from university 9 years ago and found a job shortly after graduation. My starting salary was around 60K. A bit more than half of my take home pay was invested each month in a low cost diversified portfolio using TD e-series index funds and ETFs.
My portfolio is a modified Couch Potato Portfolio with the following asset allocation:
- Around 20% of my money is invested in Bonds (Ing Direct)
- Around 10% is invested in Real Estate (XRE)
- Around 17.5% is invested in Canadian equities (XIC, CDZ)
- Around 17.5% is invested in US equities (TD US IND e-series, VTI)
- Around 17.5% is invested in Emerging Market equities (VWO, XEM)
- Around 17.5% is invested in European equities (TD Euro IND e-series, VGK)
I have been sticking to this investing plan for the last 9 years and never attempted to time the market.
I have been tracking my net-worth on a bi-monthly basis for the last 9 years. My net-worth progress is shown in the image below.As you can see this investment strategy worked out very well for me so far.
Updated chart 01MAR2016:
Updated chart 08AUG2016. Hit 1 million dollar net worth: