Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
5036 posts
830 upvotes
Markham

Could mods give reasons when lock posts

Not only for transparency but also others can learn so won’t make similar posts therefore reduce mods workload
7 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
12099 posts
22408 upvotes
Scarborough
In most cases a reason should be left. If you're asking over a specific thread being locked, please PM it to me and I'll see what happened.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
5036 posts
830 upvotes
Markham
TomRFD wrote: In most cases a reason should be left. If you're asking over a specific thread being locked, please PM it to me and I'll see what happened.
Exactly. I meant is this the policy that every mod needs follow ?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
12099 posts
22408 upvotes
Scarborough
smartie wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 2:21 pm
Exactly. I meant is this the policy that every mod needs follow ?
Reasons should be left in most cases. There are certain exceptions (too many to list) but those should only account for 10% or less of all actions.

Again if you're ever in doubt over a particular action you're free to ask myself or the moderator (if known) for clarification.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Nov 21, 2018
33 posts
16 upvotes
I'm finding threads being moved with only the automated response. And then when I asked why once I got another automated response to read the rules and contact admin. Why not specify the rule referred to by the mod for locking or moving a thread?
Aug 20, 2009
7131 posts
1833 upvotes
Grimsby
SpicketyLit wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 1:15 pm
I'm finding threads being moved with only the automated response. And then when I asked why once I got another automated response to read the rules and contact admin. Why not specify the rule referred to by the mod for locking or moving a thread?
You posted a thread in the wrong category by accident, it was reported and I moved it to the appropriate one for you. I responded to your PM asking about why it was moved and explained it in detail then wished you happy holidays. I never told you to read the rules or contact an admin, unless you're referring to another interaction with a different mod which may be the case.

Generally speaking we try to notify people if its appropriate or post in a thread with a lock explanation, assuming one is required. That said we can't send a PM about every action we take, it would just make it too time consuming.
Nov 21, 2018
33 posts
16 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 1:29 pm
You posted a thread in the wrong category by accident, it was reported and I moved it to the appropriate one for you. I responded to your PM asking about why it was moved and explained it in detail then wished you happy holidays. I never told you to read the rules or contact an admin, unless you're referring to another interaction with a different mod which may be the case.

Generally speaking we try to notify people if its appropriate or post in a thread with a lock explanation, assuming one is required. That said we can't send a PM about every action we take, it would just make it too time consuming.
I see the sub-forum is there now but had only posted via the drop down menu into the forum shown, which is "Sports and fitness". Hadn't known about the sub-forum. The last response I received from you explained how normally you try to send a PM but it's busy because of the holidays. I appreciate that and now that I know there are sub-forums will try to be more aware of how I post and do appreciate getting that PM recently. It's an automated response initiated by a mod that tells the recipient to read the rules, not you specifically.

I still believe that it is reasonable to indicate why a post is moved for clarity purposes but then again I don't do your job and don't have an idea of the traffic you have to deal with. Either way, thanks again and happy holidays to you as well.

Spickety
Jul 5, 2004
23828 posts
3391 upvotes
I do agree fully with posting a reason when locking a thread and I do it every time. What annoys me though is deleting 20+ posts in a thread, all of which are asking for referrals. I have better things to do than type the same thing over and over in the reason box. Even copy and paste slows me down. The reason a thread is locked may not always be obvious, but when it comes to asking for or offering referrals, it's pretty obvious it's against the forum rules.