Automotive

Could use some help to buy portable battery jumper.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2017 11:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1831 posts
292 upvotes
Milton, Ontario

Could use some help to buy portable battery jumper.

I'm really don't know what starting amps, capacity or whatever else I need, so could use some pointers.
I have a dump trailer that uses regular car battery, we have blue deep cycle from canadiantire right now.
However battery is not connected to cars alternator so we have to charge it every 2 weeks, but sometimes you forget and you end up at landfill with trailer that won't lift :)
So I need some portable battery that I can hook in moments like this that will allow me to lift trailer.

I'm lifting usually 3-4 tons and it takes trailer maybe 20sec in operation to lift fully.
What specs should I be looking at ?
8 replies
Feb 6, 2011
985 posts
543 upvotes
There is a 12 volt supply/charge wire on the round trailer connector. Use that to charge the battery.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1831 posts
292 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
I'll get my mechanic to take a look at it, and hook it up when it's in storage for winter.
But in meantime need to buy something for peace of mind.
Feb 6, 2011
985 posts
543 upvotes
How is the trailer emergency brake battery being charged??
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2431 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
Can you hook up another battery parallel with your current car battery like car audio system that has extra battery? This way you will have a fully charged secondary battery all the time and can remove and insert 3rd battery that will be need charging in rotation. Only downfall is extra load it will put on your car's alternator and how your mechanic or audio installer's ingenuity to make an enclosure for 2nd battery and the hassle or less of taking it and out of your car.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1831 posts
292 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
billford wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 5:20 pm
How is the trailer emergency brake battery being charged??
I have electronic controler in cabin to set trailer brake power, im guessing its feeding from cars battery.
I dont think there is emergency brake on it, or is there ? Its Miska 10x6 dump trailer.
Feb 6, 2011
985 posts
543 upvotes
toyopl wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 8:46 pm
I have electronic controler in cabin to set trailer brake power, im guessing its feeding from cars battery.
I dont think there is emergency brake on it, or is there ? Its Miska 10x6 dump trailer.
Laws vary by province and weight for breakaway systems. Get it checked for safety reasons.

If you have a controller then you should have a battery charge circuit. Connect the dump box battery to it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1831 posts
292 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
billford wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 10:54 pm
Laws vary by province and weight for breakaway systems. Get it checked for safety reasons.

If you have a controller then you should have a battery charge circuit. Connect the dump box battery to it.
Ahh, maybe you're talking about wire that's attached to trailer and car, if trailer gets unhooked while in motion that wire will pull out a pin and some electronic system will lock wheels.
I'm guessing that's pulling power from trailers battery.

Anyway getting off point here, just looking for simple booster for now :)
Feb 6, 2011
985 posts
543 upvotes
If you already have that then you don't need the jumper battery pack.

You already have 12 volts at the trailer to charge the breakaway battery system. Just connect the dump battery to the same 12 Volt supply to keep the dump battery charged.