Automotive

Could a weak battery cause ABS module malfunction?

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2016 4:40 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30216 posts
1403 upvotes
Fernando Po

Could a weak battery cause ABS module malfunction?

When I took my jeep in to a local mechanic after the ABS lights came on, they ran a diagnostic and he said there was a malfunction in the ABS module. He also said my battery needed replacing. Could the weak battery cause the ABS to stop working? I plan to take the car do a dealer next week to sell it based on the cost of replacing an ABS module and potential pump. If all it needs is a battery, I'd keep it for now and get a better price later.
26 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1099 posts
233 upvotes
So first question, is there any more info about what the malfunction is? (codes?)

Weak batteries can do funny things to electronics, but without more info as to diagnosis of the module, it's hard to say. (See link below for numerous possible causes)
http://repairpal.com/abs-warning-light

But yes, a weak battery could be one of many culprits. Can't hurt to replace the battery since it's already on it's way out (unless you want to risk being stranded with a car that
won't start / turn-over). It might resolve the situation.
Jun 17, 2013
790 posts
278 upvotes
Toronto
Weak/dead batteries do tend to make the computer throw a bunch of trouble codes. If you're lucky, changing the battery should solve your issue.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30216 posts
1403 upvotes
Fernando Po
Well, the only problem with trying a new battery is that I've wasted $150 on a battery if it doesn't work (because the next course of action is selling the car to the dealer). BTW, its a bit annoying the mechanic didn't give me the code since I paid him $135 for the diagnostic. I've since sent him an email asking if he has the code.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21165 posts
10597 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
The cheapest option is to replace the battery and see what happens. But if the abs is not working at all, the battery would have nothing to do with that. If it's intermittent, then perhaps. A used abs module is like $200 tops plus an hour to install. If I were you I'd just fix it and move along.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30216 posts
1403 upvotes
Fernando Po
nasa25 wrote:
May 21st, 2016 10:37 am
The cheapest option is to replace the battery and see what happens. But if the abs is not working at all, the battery would have nothing to do with that. If it's intermittent, then perhaps. A used abs module is like $200 tops plus an hour to install. If I were you I'd just fix it and move along.
The ones I've found on line are $350, then I hear if that doesn't work, you then have to replace the pump, which is more $$. I'm not handy with cars, not sure I'd be able to pull it off, took me 20 minutes just to figure out where the module is. I've come to the conclusion that mechanics around here aren't to be trusted so I guess I really should learn, or buy a brand new car with a long warranty.

Judging from the part I found, it looks like it might a computer flash to get it to work.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1893 posts
542 upvotes
Hometown
If the car is so old you are thinking about dumping it over a couple hundred bucks then why wouldn't you go to a wrecker get a battery for under 50 bucks with a 30 day warranty and see what happens? After a vehicle of mine is out of warranty I NEVER buy new batteries..... Last used battery I bought was 35 bucks lasted 2.5 yrs until I scrapped the car.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30216 posts
1403 upvotes
Fernando Po
Canuck2fan wrote:
May 21st, 2016 7:11 pm
If the car is so old you are thinking about dumping it over a couple hundred bucks then why wouldn't you go to a wrecker get a battery for under 50 bucks with a 30 day warranty and see what happens? After a vehicle of mine is out of warranty I NEVER buy new batteries..... Last used battery I bought was 35 bucks lasted 2.5 yrs until I scrapped the car.
For some reason I didn't think of an auto wrecker for a battery, thanks. I'll check there on Tuesday.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5614 posts
1759 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Canuck2fan wrote:
May 21st, 2016 7:11 pm
Yep agreed, some oem batteries can last ten years if properly cared for. A $50 bone yard oem battery that is only a few years or less old from a written off car is gold.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4439 posts
326 upvotes
Peterborough
Personally when my battery died I got both an ABS failure and electronic stability control failure warning.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2821 posts
763 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
Does the Jeep run OK with the ABS light on? If so, keep driving it but just be a bit more cautious regarding the ABS function. I'm guessing ABS fails safe so you will not lose braking power.

A dying battery should perform well enough in the warm weather if the Jeep is driven daily. After a few days you should be closer to answering your own questions.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
3896 posts
1638 upvotes
Vancouver
When my BRZ battery died it was throwing CELs like a Christmas tree! After I changed the battery, all the lights error codes cleared.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30216 posts
1403 upvotes
Fernando Po
Tha_Doggg wrote:
May 21st, 2016 8:31 pm
Personally when my battery died I got both an ABS failure and electronic stability control failure warning.
This is exactly what I have. And something called "BAS"
Marzipan wrote:
May 22nd, 2016 1:34 am
Does the Jeep run OK with the ABS light on? If so, keep driving it but just be a bit more cautious regarding the ABS function. I'm guessing ABS fails safe so you will not lose braking power.
The only really odd thing is that the tachometer is going a bit nuts and its running at 2000rpms at 60kph (2500 at 80). When my ABS sensors would die it would do the same thing and I asked a Chrysler head mechanic about it and he confirmed it was because of the sensors. Also seen others post about it in jeep forums. So apparently, high RPMs with no ABS and a very bouncy tachometer.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30216 posts
1403 upvotes
Fernando Po
Someone pointed me to the Jeep service page for the ABS. It appears the ABS module and the pump are one unit on the Patriot hence twice the cost for the part and way way more involved. There;s the page:

http://www.autozone.com/repairguides/20 ... 3f80f65f65

Its going to be my life goal to keep people from buying Chrysler products.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21165 posts
10597 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
You wanna throw up in your mouth a bit? An abs module/pump on my '00 discovery was $4k from the dealer. Yes, four thousand dollars.

I managed to get a refurb one for 400 pounds (around 700 bucks at the time) from a shop in the UK and installed it cost me in the area of $1400 (including changing a couple wheel speed sensors and bleeding the brakes). If you really can't handle any more problems then just trade it in I guess. A $500 fix is not a massive repair in my opinion but if you're having to throw 5 bills at it every 3 months, the ***** adds up.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao