Home & Garden

Countertop depth Fridge recommendations (36'' wide)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2018 4:37 pm
[OP]
Nov 17, 2016
249 posts
154 upvotes

Countertop depth Fridge recommendations (36'' wide)

Any recommendations for countertop depth Fridge - 36'' wide, stainless steel?
Anyone has access to consumers reports and can post here what do they recommend?
And of course, any recommendations on what brand/model not to buy.

TIA!
22 replies
Nov 30, 2011
851 posts
276 upvotes
GTA
We have the KitchenAid KRFC300ESS.
No complaints after 2 years.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
10346 posts
5364 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Anything but Samsung. Avoid that shit like the plaque.
Jan 21, 2011
116 posts
37 upvotes
Kitchen Aid KRFC302ESS, internal ice and water maker...
[OP]
Nov 17, 2016
249 posts
154 upvotes
westcoastyvr wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 10:21 pm
We have the KitchenAid KRFC300ESS.
No complaints after 2 years.
lamin wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 11:21 pm
Kitchen Aid KRFC302ESS, internal ice and water maker...
Thanks for the suggestions! I can see that KRFC302ESS is slightly taller fridge - 72'' vs 70 for KRFC300ESS. Price is also about 600$ more, but it is 1.9 cubic feet larger.
Price for KRFC302ESS is 2999, but I can easily get it for 2770$, as this was the first quote I got without any negotiations.
I will look into this Kitchenaid model more.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8884 posts
869 upvotes
Vi20161128 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 6:48 am
Thanks for the suggestions! I can see that KRFC302ESS is slightly taller fridge - 72'' vs 70 for KRFC300ESS. Price is also about 600$ more, but it is 1.9 cubic feet larger.
Price for KRFC302ESS is 2999, but I can easily get it for 2770$, as this was the first quote I got without any negotiations.
I will look into this Kitchenaid model more.
Arent these internal dispensers very inefficient? Meaning to fill up water, your fridge has to be open for quite some time wasting energy. That's what I felt like when at my friend's home who has an internal water dispenser.
[OP]
Nov 17, 2016
249 posts
154 upvotes
speedyforme wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 7:29 am
Arent these internal dispensers very inefficient? Meaning to fill up water, your fridge has to be open for quite some time wasting energy. That's what I felt like when at my friend's home who has an internal water dispenser.
My current fridge has an internal water dispenser. As I am using it 1-2 time per week, I prefer this wasted energy because I am getting increased fridge space.
With the in the door water/ice dispensers you are losing valuable fridge space, but gaining efficiency.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8884 posts
869 upvotes
Vi20161128 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 8:32 am
My current fridge has an internal water dispenser. As I am using it 1-2 time per week, I prefer this wasted energy because I am getting increased fridge space.
With the in the door water/ice dispensers you are losing valuable fridge space, but gaining efficiency.
Yeah I suspect for a counter depth fridge, it makes a big difference for space.
Jan 21, 2011
116 posts
37 upvotes
If you can wait for the whirlpool friends and family (vip) event...you will probably get the best price there. It should be happening soon, but not sure if it is an annual thing. Maybe someone else can chime in
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
1012 posts
241 upvotes
Despite the horror stories with Samsung, we just got one (RF28K9070SR/AA) delivered 2 weeks ago. 4-door fridge. Seems way more practical than a pull-out bottom freezer.

Suggest you have a look at it; it's very well reviewed both by consumers and industry reports (CR plus more legit ones)

- got it for a hair under $3000 at Appliance Canada
"A festivus for the rest of us"

Items for Sale:
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1379 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
First question - why counter depth in the first place? Are you filling an existing hole or doing a new kitchen?

I did our kitchen about 8 years back (10 x 14 full gut in a 100+ year old home with 9 foot ceilings). I convinced myself a counter depth fridge made sense to preserve the few inches of floor space in front of the fridge and have a more continuous line for all the cabinets.

We have a KitchenAid KFCP22EXMP1. It has operated fine for the full time, but the 'weather stripping' on the french doors is worn and split in places. I had to silicone the magnetic strip up inside the vinyl covering to keep it from falling out. It still seals, but the amount of wear is not what I expected from this high price a fridge.

Anyhow - long story short I would never do a counter depth fridge again. The lack of depth inside the fridge makes many things a real chore to put in there. My wife hates it - curses it all the time.

When the time comes to replace it, I will have the gable panels on either side of the fridge remade or extended with some clever wood work, move the cabinet above the fridge out another few inches and replace with a regular depth fridge. I'd rather do all of that than spend the premium on another counter depth fridge again.
Feb 11, 2009
159 posts
28 upvotes
gvr
It depends. I am very used to counter depth fridge. My condo has it (whirlpool? not sure) and my townhouse (fisher and paykel) has that too. Now I am using a VERY old full size fridge, I feel that there are stuffs deep in it that I can't reach. And I am very used to freezer drawers that I have problem stacking things up the top freezer with only a middle rack.

We bought a counter depth tiny fridge (24" wide) and hopefully will have it setup soon. I will see how that works for us. It's just 2 of us and I have a chest freezer.
Sep 25, 2003
204 posts
35 upvotes
Scarborough
Do you have a budget in mind?

Tasco was advertising Sub-zero at 15% off until the end of the month. The IT-36CI integrated would fit 36”, is counter depth, has water dispenser, ice maker, and separate dual compressors in the fridge and freezer.
Nov 30, 2011
851 posts
276 upvotes
GTA
Vi20161128 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 6:48 am
Price for KRFC302ESS is 2999, but I can easily get it for 2770$, as this was the first quote I got without any negotiations. I will look into this Kitchenaid model more.
Sent you a message on pricing direct from Manufacturer.
[OP]
Nov 17, 2016
249 posts
154 upvotes
torontotim wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 6:26 pm
First question - why counter depth in the first place? Are you filling an existing hole or doing a new kitchen?

I did our kitchen about 8 years back (10 x 14 full gut in a 100+ year old home with 9 foot ceilings). I convinced myself a counter depth fridge made sense to preserve the few inches of floor space in front of the fridge and have a more continuous line for all the cabinets.

We have a KitchenAid KFCP22EXMP1. It has operated fine for the full time, but the 'weather stripping' on the french doors is worn and split in places. I had to silicone the magnetic strip up inside the vinyl covering to keep it from falling out. It still seals, but the amount of wear is not what I expected from this high price a fridge.

Anyhow - long story short I would never do a counter depth fridge again. The lack of depth inside the fridge makes many things a real chore to put in there. My wife hates it - curses it all the time.

When the time comes to replace it, I will have the gable panels on either side of the fridge remade or extended with some clever wood work, move the cabinet above the fridge out another few inches and replace with a regular depth fridge. I'd rather do all of that than spend the premium on another counter depth fridge again.
I want counter depth because we just renovated the kitchen and existing regular depth fridge sticks out too much. I know this means less space in the fridge, but because of the limited kitchen size, we had to go with counter depth option.