Home & Garden

Countertop depth Fridge recommendations (36'' wide)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2018 4:37 pm
[OP]
Nov 17, 2016
234 posts
154 upvotes
zhewie wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 8:57 pm
Do you have a budget in mind?

Tasco was advertising Sub-zero at 15% off until the end of the month. The IT-36CI integrated would fit 36”, is counter depth, has water dispenser, ice maker, and separate dual compressors in the fridge and freezer.
I was hoping to spend less than 3000$, so I did not even check sub-zero appliances - they are usualy above my price range.
[OP]
Nov 17, 2016
234 posts
154 upvotes
westcoastyvr wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 10:13 pm
Sent you a message on pricing direct from Manufacturer.
Westcoastyvr - thank you very much for the information you send me! I do not think I can get a better price anywhere else! Thank you!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8646 posts
796 upvotes
torontotim wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 6:26 pm
First question - why counter depth in the first place? Are you filling an existing hole or doing a new kitchen?

I did our kitchen about 8 years back (10 x 14 full gut in a 100+ year old home with 9 foot ceilings). I convinced myself a counter depth fridge made sense to preserve the few inches of floor space in front of the fridge and have a more continuous line for all the cabinets.

We have a KitchenAid KFCP22EXMP1. It has operated fine for the full time, but the 'weather stripping' on the french doors is worn and split in places. I had to silicone the magnetic strip up inside the vinyl covering to keep it from falling out. It still seals, but the amount of wear is not what I expected from this high price a fridge.

Anyhow - long story short I would never do a counter depth fridge again. The lack of depth inside the fridge makes many things a real chore to put in there. My wife hates it - curses it all the time.

When the time comes to replace it, I will have the gable panels on either side of the fridge remade or extended with some clever wood work, move the cabinet above the fridge out another few inches and replace with a regular depth fridge. I'd rather do all of that than spend the premium on another counter depth fridge again.
Yeah I had a counter depth fridge in my last home and it was great with one person. With my new home, it came with a full size fridge and I can't imagine not having one now.

We redid our kitchen and we made it counter depth size however the fridge only sticks out a few inches and the cabinet above the fridge is already very deep. The panels surrounding the fridge sticks out beyond counter depth by a few inches anyways.
Dec 29, 2004
204 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg
For anyone looking for the best of both worlds.
I made a slight recess, the size of the fridge, in the wall behind it.
As long as there are no pipes/air ducts/etc in that wall.
Allows you to have a full depth fridge while looking like a counter depth one.
Inexpensive/easy to do especially if you are doing a kitchen reno.
Mar 22, 2017
34 posts
31 upvotes
I can speak a bit as to what you might want to consider as far as maintenance, etc.

A huge number of the repairs in a fridge come from the ice maker and water dispenser. Those also add a lot to the cost of the fridge. If it's important to you then go for it, but understand that you have a high chance of something going wrong down the line. Personally, I'd just use a carafe of water in the fridge and save myself the money and hassle.

For function, I'd recommend a fridge on top model (since fridges are accessed multiple times as often as freezers). Don't get fridge on bottom or a side by side. You can get french door fridges (which are quite popular these days), but they do cost more than a single-door fridge compartment. Personally I hate them, since I often have to open two doors, making it annoying to quickly grab something, especially if I have something in one hand. Your opinion may differ.

As for brands, there are only a few main companies that make fridges now. Whirlpool, Frigidaire, Bosch, Samsung, LG and Haier. Of the bunch, Whirlpool is marginally better than the rest (Whirlpool, Maytag, Amana, KitchenAid, etc). Ensure you get a model with an easily accessible defrost system for the freezer (drain tube and the heating coils), as that tends to also be a more common repair down the line that is (sometimes) DIY-able. My defrost pan isn't working properly and I have to mostly disassemble my fridge if I decide to fix it.

Also, keep the condenser coils clean. Make sure you can access them easily, as you have to clean them every few months or your compressor will eventually break (and it also increases your electricity bills meaningfully). It only takes a minute with a duster but it's easy to forget to do.

I know you're set on counter depth, but explore other options too - counter depth is a lot more expensive. I actually prefer the shallower shelves since food tends to be buried in the back and forgotten otherwise, but it's a lot of extra money.
Oct 2, 2018
7 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I purchased the LG LFX25991ST three or four years back and have been extremely satisfied with it, has been worry free and i believe i purchased for just under the $3K mark at the time from Tasco on Dufferin and Lawrence. I believe it may have been replaced with the LG LFXC24726S model now.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
1800 posts
345 upvotes
THORNHILL
We got the Electrolux EI23BC82SS for our new built last boxing day for less the $2000 can't remember now exactly how much. Love it so far.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)