• Apr 3rd, 2017 5:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1296 posts
218 upvotes
Brampton

Coupgon free item - tax included ?

Coupgon app has a free Special k bar with quinoa upto 4.49. Went to longos, but was asked to pay the tax.

Shouldn't the item be completely free? I.e tax included . Any had similar experience ?
9 replies
Jan 19, 2017
227 posts
61 upvotes
ambujakshi wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 8:01 am
Coupgon app has a free Special k bar with quinoa upto 4.49. Went to longos, but was asked to pay the tax.

Shouldn't the item be completely free? I.e tax included . Any had similar experience ?
Most places charge taxes for free items.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
6811 posts
2041 upvotes
ON
The fine print of the coupon should include detail on whether it includes or excludes applicable taxes.
A true "free product" coupon would have taxes included in the coupon.
But a rebate equal to the price of the item (e.g. $2 off $2 item) would be consumer paying taxes.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2161 posts
614 upvotes
ambujakshi wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 8:01 am
Any had similar experience ?
Yep, been paying tax on "free with coupon" items since the 90's. Don't agree with it, but that's the way it is. Rebates are similar, since you don't get back any taxes paid either.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6806 posts
903 upvotes
Not suppose to pay tax on a coupon that is marked "free". However, you are suppose to pay tax on $ off coupons even if it comes out to free (I.e pop is $1, and you had 1$ off pop)

Suggest you to redeem your free coupons at shoppers as the way they input the coupon is different from regular coupons, making the item tax free without hassle.
Jul 23, 2015
285 posts
109 upvotes
I went through this today, stood there while the cashier tried entering the coupon in a specific way (while saying tax exempt over and over) but when I looked at the receipt I had paid tax on the free item. After a brief visit to the customer service desk I got my tax back. Free means free!!!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
6811 posts
2041 upvotes
ON
Nibbler2012 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 6:21 pm
I went through this today, stood there while the cashier tried entering the coupon in a specific way (while saying tax exempt over and over) but when I looked at the receipt I had paid tax on the free item. After a brief visit to the customer service desk I got my tax back. Free means free!!!
Easiest way to ensure these things are handled correctly the first time is do a separate transaction for the free item - total should be $0. Assuming it's a coupon for free item, period, and not free when you buy something else.
Jul 23, 2015
285 posts
109 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 1:06 pm
Easiest way to ensure these things are handled correctly the first time is do a separate transaction for the free item - total should be $0. Assuming it's a coupon for free item, period, and not free when you buy something else.
Agreed, especially since this person seemed to have a handle on it but still didn't get it entered correctly.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7271 posts
1020 upvotes
Should never be tax on a manufacturer coupon that says "free", to the free part of "buy 1 get 1 free". There could be if its the stores own coupon. There always is if its a specific X$ off, regardless on if it makes it free or not

Failry common for stores to get "Free" couposn wrong, especailly ones that don't have their cash registers set up to specifcally handle them. If you mention it, a lot of the staff inclduding management know don't, and they'll be quick to argue that you dont' know that you are talking about
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
1822 posts
2054 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
For those wondering, check out this week's Freebie.

The fine print now says "TAXES NOT INCLUDED".