• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2018 3:41 pm
Oct 14, 2014
138 posts
63 upvotes
GTA
Jerickjane wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 12:27 am
It is mainly of the generation gap I think so. The way in which you think might be totally different from their thinking. Why do you both stay as different families in the same house? Is there any internal conflicts between you and your parents? They might be thinking that they will loose their privacy when you rent out your portion. It might be because of that they are unwilling to rent out your portion.
Internal conflict? A bit, but nothing terrible. The house is pretty well set up as two separate units, so the division was a natural and appreciated consequence of the house design. We may have been able to work with a more blended situation if they didn’t have the dog: it is really nervous around young children, and before we bought this place together there was already an unfortunate encounter between that dog and my oldest child.
Jul 3, 2018
15 posts
1 upvote
Ok. I can understand your situation. Try to convince your parents about the dog issue and how terrible the condition will be when a dog bites the kid.
Oct 14, 2014
138 posts
63 upvotes
GTA
Jerickjane wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 4:46 am
Ok. I can understand your situation. Try to convince your parents about the dog issue and how terrible the condition will be when a dog bites the kid.
The dog situation is well understood in the household. It’s never in the backyard or porch at the same time as my kids, and if we visit in their space, the dog is put in a bedroom.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5019 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Jun 17th, 2018 2:19 pm
You're definitely Chinese.
I don't see what my race have to do with it? If two people spend their prime wiping my ass clean, then take care of me all the way to adulthood, why shouldn't I pay them back when they need it the most?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28096 posts
3754 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
greg123 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 2:06 pm
I don't see what my race have to do with it? If two people spend their prime wiping my ass clean, then take care of me all the way to adulthood, why shouldn't I pay them back when they need it the most?
It has nothing to do with race. It is an ideology. Lots of people tend to kick their kids out of the house as soon as they finish school. If they don't kick them out, they charge them rent. Once you get married, you have your own family and responsibilities. Your parents take a back seat or simply forgotten. No pay back. Chinese, Italians etc have a different philosophy. Your kids will always be your children regardless of age and they can live at home till they get married. After marriage, there is sense of obligation to the parents. It is not expected, but it's there.

I agree with you. You spend time wiping your kid's ass when they're babies, they can wipe your ass when you get older.