Shopping Discussion

Which Courier do you prefer? Canada Post or UPS?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2015 4:19 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 24, 2009
12 posts
33 upvotes

Which Courier do you prefer? Canada Post or UPS?

Courier service affects our experiences with the mail order/online store. Which courier do you prefer from your past shopping experience? Canada Post or UPS? Anyone had any certain type of problem with Canada Post or UPS??
22 replies
Mar 3, 2008
604 posts
261 upvotes
Canada Post. Least amount of problems, cheapest cost (for me at least) and lots of places to send and receive packages.
Think much, speak little, write less.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
1113 posts
18 upvotes
Canada Post. Even though I think their prices are way too high.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2007
3772 posts
1067 upvotes
I absolutely hate UPS. They never bother if someone is home always leave the item outside your door.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
1113 posts
18 upvotes
Canada Post doesn't score much higher on the scale. I have had many parcels left at my home. Sometimes, the carrier rings and leaves (doesn't wait) and I have seen others just drop it off and leave to sit there in plain view. To date, I have never experienced a problem.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
3845 posts
334 upvotes
Barrys Bay
UPS i stay away from at all costs, lost packages, redirecting tracking results with no movement at all, expensive.

CanadaPost I used 90% of time, 2-3 day delivery across canada from $7-$18 CAD, signature and insurance is reasonable priced. And i'm in rural area. I also have a Venture one card so save 5%.

For USA i use sometimes expidited canadapost ( $17+ ) just for tracking # or use fedex.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
5824 posts
517 upvotes
Greely
If there is another alternative, i will never choose UPS. They're one company I cannot stand.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
78 upvotes
OP, you have to specify whether it's domestic or international shipping, but I'm assuming mostly the latter.

For international (from the US), CP is the best choice since the fee structure is laid out. However, if you're willing to pay for Express/Premium, UPS is also very good, without the brokerage surprises that come with Ground service.

I seldom ship anything international, but UPS is hard to beat for in-country deliveries to my US address or for domestic packages from Amazon.ca etc. With UPS, you get good rates, excellent tracking and a committed delivery date. I've only had one (of many, many) packages delivered late, due to snow storms.

Conversely, CP is garbage for domestic shipping. The rates are high and the tracking is a complete farce. You may get notified the package was picked up, but they don't provide delivery forecast and delivery confirmation is usually 2-3 days after the item was delivered. Also, don't waste your money paying for "Express", since in my experience, it just costs more and really doesn't guarantee you'll get your stuff any sooner.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3277 posts
1929 upvotes
North Vancouver
Within Canada I haven't really had any major issues with any one. Canada Post/Purolator tend to be slower than Fedex or UPS, but I usually just try and go for the cheapest options.

From the USA I don't need to get into the horror stories with the UPS/Fedex/DHL Ground services. However the Express services for each are sometimes cheaper than USPS, so I don't mind using them since the brokerage is covered.

If it's shipping from China or Japan, I like EMS the best. The service is both very quick and cheap, and a lot of the time they don't charge taxes and duty even with expensive items.

For shipping to the USA or across Canada I usually use Fedex. They're almost always the cheapest option and I haven't had any problems. For Europe and South America it usually varies, although DHL was cheaper for South America, and UPS was for Europe.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4220 posts
236 upvotes
Scarborough
Canada Post for everything within Canada.

Once I had to send imp documents to US, time/sensitive so I used Fedex. It was good.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2367 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
USPS/CP is my top choice cause brokerage is only 5 bucks
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
3187 posts
224 upvotes
St. John's
Within Canada, I find they're all about the same (Fedex, UPS, CP).

I'm shipping more and more via Fedex ground since it's cheaper than CP and Fedex tracking is waaay better.

If I'm buying items from the US, I'm still sticking with USPS.
Let's hug it out
Flickr
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5415 posts
381 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
For domestic I find UPS to be pretty good. I always get my packages promptly, and tracking works well. The only downside is that there's no depot to go to for pickup if you miss a delivery.

Canadapost on the other hand is really slow. Packages takes at least double the time in comparison.

For international/US then USPS/CP is likely the best, due to cheaper brokerage.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28488 posts
837 upvotes
Fernando Po
The CP delivery person for my area is a grumpy old lady who complains if she has to bring anything over 5lbs to the door. So, I'd have to say, UPS. If its something the letter carrier can deliver, or is from the US, I vote CP.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6560 posts
526 upvotes
Victoria
Canada Post. Seeing as I (like alot of other people) tend to work all week. I'm rarely home to accept delivery. Canada Post has parcel pickup places all over town. It's only a 10-15 minute walk from here. UPS has one depot in every city, and they're usually way out of the way in some commercial sector somewhere, where even public transit doesn't go. This makes picking up parcels a pain in the ass. Even purolator has a few places around the city to make it easier

And if parcels are coming from the US. UPS loses every time, they're brokerage fees are insane.
× < >