Shopping Discussion

Which courier is by far the worst in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 9:39 am

Poll: Which is the WORST?

• Total votes: 145. You have voted on this poll.
Canada Post

10%
Fedex

9%
DHL

13%
UPS

30%
Purolator

25%
Canpar

6%
Other

8%
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19841 posts
8456 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
intelcom used to be trash but at least they're trying now, with the update emails and such

dynamex was always trash

amazon courier was good but is now consistently trash
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Nov 21, 2009
289 posts
128 upvotes
Moncton
I voted Purolator. Their tracking is garbage, the drivers don't even attempt to knock on the door and none of my Amazon orders ever show up as delivery completed which triggers my OCD.

The UPS driver serving my area is amazing; dude is super friendly, loves my dog and waives at us when he drives past while we're out walking. Unfortunately, not many of my orders get shipped UPS.

Canada Post is fine since I'm rural and packages get dropped at the PO. I don't even expect them to deliver anymore.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
15486 posts
3794 upvotes
Fedup (aka FEDEX). Had 2 parcels shipped. Both arrived broken. Sent Purolator and received without a scratch! No more Fedex shipments...

17 years on eBay and never had a parcel sent by USPS or Canada Post go missing. That's quite the feat. Wonder why all the hate for Canada Post? And UPS Canada isn't the same as the U.S. outfit which is actually a very good service. Wonder what's up with that?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3225 posts
806 upvotes
Parry Sound
DougO wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 8:23 am
Fedup (aka FEDEX). Had 2 parcels shipped. Both arrived broken. Sent Purolator and received without a scratch! No more Fedex shipments...

17 years on eBay and never had a parcel sent by USPS or Canada Post go missing. That's quite the feat. Wonder why all the hate for Canada Post? And UPS Canada isn't the same as the U.S. outfit which is actually a very good service. Wonder what's up with that?
Same. Never had a single problem with CP and the only issue with USPS is that it takes long but once it gets in Canada it's under CPs hands.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10272 posts
513 upvotes
Vancouver
I think Amazon is a big reason for many of our complaints. I bet unrealistic delivery standards are part of their contracts, so drivers intentionally skip delivery attempts in order to hit their quotas, and this indirectly affects packages from other couriers as well. Amazon does so much business that couriers can't turn them down.
Apr 17, 2018
6 posts
I've used Amazon Prime for years, worked for UPS and Canpar but Canada Post is by far the worst carrier.
Canada Post doesn't even attempt to deliver packages, the tracking number they provide is full of lies and calling them is a waste of time.
If you order anything using Canada Post make sure you send it to a pick up location not your house.

2018/04/18 10:33 NEPEAN, ON Item being returned to sender. Incomplete address.
2018/04/18 10:33 NEPEAN, ON Item out for delivery
2018/04/18 08:51 NEPEAN, ON Item processed
2018/04/18 02:34 OTTAWA, ON Item processed
2018/04/17 16:17 MISSISSAUGA, ON Item in transit
2018/04/17 14:12 MISSISSAUGA, ON Item processed
2018/04/16 14:24 MISSISSAUGA, ON Item was released by Customs and is now with Canada Post for processing
2018/04/16 19:35 MISSISSAUGA, ON Shipment picked up by Canada Post
2018/04/13 Electronic information submitted by shipper
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2005
4913 posts
800 upvotes
UPS because of the BS brokerage fees which are often more than the value of the shipped item.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1691 posts
512 upvotes
B.C.
Dynamex is the worst of the worst of the worst.

UPS is great, love the option to automatically send it to a pickup location.

Fedex is okay, I have to call in to get the package sent to a depot and the call centre person is usually in an overseas call centre and impossible to understand.

Canada Post is great, small stuff in the mailbox and if we're home packages come right to the door.

Purolator is really good IMO, except the pickup depot isn't open on weekends at all.

DHL & Canpar... Haven't run in to them in a while!
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1059 posts
171 upvotes
Edmonton
I had the weirdest Intelcom driver today... He comes at 8:30AM for a Saturday delivery.

I open the door as he's about to leave, he asks me for a signature.

He smells my house and he's like "Chinese cuisine? No? Korean?" and then he's like "Kim Jong Un? North Korea? South Korea?"

Felt it was almost racist as I'm Korean but I laughed it off... Don't know why he felt it was appropriate to bring that up
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
212 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
purolator beats everyone in domestic
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
212 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
lennyandcarl wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 9:56 pm
Dynamex is the worst of the worst of the worst.

UPS is great, love the option to automatically send it to a pickup location.

Fedex is okay, I have to call in to get the package sent to a depot and the call centre person is usually in an overseas call centre and impossible to understand.

Canada Post is great, small stuff in the mailbox and if we're home packages come right to the door.

Purolator is really good IMO, except the pickup depot isn't open on weekends at all.

DHL & Canpar... Haven't run in to them in a while!
Canpar, Part of DHL and Dynamex (now T - Force last mile ) owned by Transforce and Suputo
DHL - Good
UPS - Better
Fedex - Best
CP- WTF
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1160 posts
740 upvotes
Guelph, ON
- Canada Post has been the best to me and my mom, our delivery lady is very nice and leaves the packages in our garage, which is good for my mom since she can’t walk. Also Canada Post is the fastest for us, usually always delivering packages 1 day early! Also ordering anything from the states via USPS/CanPost is great since they don’t charge fees.
- UPS has also been great with us, not only are their drivers very nice, they also leave the packages in the garage and the driver even brings up our recycling bins, which is very nice :)
- Purolator was terrible but now they’re much better, originally we had tons of problems with them, like not delivering items and saying we were not home (which is silly since my mom is there all day), plus any slightly large item would be sent to the delivery centre in Guelph which is a 30 minute drive away! It’s much better now, one driver is very nice and leaves our packages in the garage, others leave them on the porch.
- Canpar, I’ve only had one experience from them (pens from grand and toy) they delivered the item fast and I was outside when they delivered it so they just handed them to me, no problems imho.
-FedEx, not much to say about them, they usually leave the package on the porch.
-DHL doesn’t deliver to our area
-Slightly related is Staples delivery, they usually get the stuff to us, but their drivers are weird to say the least :/
I like credit unions. Proud DUCA member!
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3060 posts
2567 upvotes
Vancouver
FedEx. I just shipped an important time sensitive legal document to Hungary. with them. Never again!

Showed up at Fedex counter on a Friday at noon. "How fast can you get this to Budapest?" "We can guarantee delivery by Monday at 6pm Budapest time for $90". Perfect, let's do it.

• 11 hours after the the guaranteed delivery time on Monday the tracking showed it was STILL in Vancouver
  • Tuesday morning it was in Tennessee
  • Tuesday evening Paris
  • Wednesday morning it was Budapest
  • Late Wednesday morning the recipient heard a knock on the door, went to answer the door only to see the Fedex driver had returned to his truck and was about to drive away with it. He had to chase him down the street.

I'm not ever shipping with FedEx again.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Jul 6, 2017
70 posts
28 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 8:44 pm
FedEx. I just shipped an important time sensitive legal document to Hungary. with them. Never again!

Showed up at Fedex counter on a Friday at noon. "How fast can you get this to Budapest?" "We can guarantee delivery by Monday at 6pm Budapest time for $90". Perfect, let's do it.

• 11 hours after the the guaranteed delivery time on Monday the tracking showed it was STILL in Vancouver
  • Tuesday morning it was in Tennessee
  • Tuesday evening Paris
  • Wednesday morning it was Budapest
  • Late Wednesday morning the recipient heard a knock on the door, went to answer the door only to see the Fedex driver had returned to his truck and was about to drive away with it. He had to chase him down the street.

I'm not ever shipping with FedEx again.
If the specific fedex service you bought had a guaranteed delivery date, you can at least get your $90 back by contacting them.