• Jul 5th, 2010 1:08 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 26, 2010
1 posts
Toronto

Course Selection: 1st year LIFE SCIENCES at UFT St.George

Hi... so I'm a Life Sciences student entering University of Toronto St. George campus as a first year student this year... and need some help with course selection.

SO far i've decided to take

Would a schedule like this be hard???

AND I need to take 1.0 elective......
Which two from these courses are easier and would give high GPA...

Thank you
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7485 posts
329 upvotes
Canada
Keep in mind what POSTs you are considering and look at their pre-reqs

Personally, I would avoid taking all 3 sciences first year, although a lot of people do that, you don't have to put yourself through it if your POST doesn't need physics. Scheduling 3 labs for a full year at the same time is crazy IMHO

And don't forget to fill your distribution requirements, are GGR/GLG social sciences?

I would recommend some interesting seminar courses, with the small class sizes it will be nice to be in a small group environment, and you'll really get to know your prof (may be good for a future reference).

Just food for thought...
He died for me, I live for him
youtube videos are not allowed in signatures (links or embeds)
Deal Fanatic
May 26, 2009
5423 posts
1219 upvotes
shannn wrote:
Jun 27th, 2010 1:31 pm
Keep in mind what POSTs you are considering and look at their pre-reqs

Personally, I would avoid taking all 3 sciences first year, although a lot of people do that, you don't have to put yourself through it if your POST doesn't need physics. Scheduling 3 labs for a full year at the same time is crazy IMHO

And don't forget to fill your distribution requirements, are GGR/GLG social sciences?

I would recommend some interesting seminar courses, with the small class sizes it will be nice to be in a small group environment, and you'll really get to know your prof (may be good for a future reference).

Just food for thought...
They changed it up on the new kids. All undergrads as of Sept 2010 need to partake in a new distribution system, something along the lines of BREADTH. So it's no longer the Humanities/Social Science/Science split. Luckily I started at UofT last Sept and took care of my distribution requirement already lol. Whether the new system is "easier" or "harder," I have no idea, didn't really pay much attention to it.

But yes, I'd recommend taking a seminar course to fufill a distribution requirement. I knocked out my science requirement EASILY from it. Small class size, feels like high school, no exams, etc.
[shortened links removed]
Aug 22, 2007
752 posts
31 upvotes
good god, another poor soul going into life sci.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
3395 posts
6 upvotes
Knitecrow wrote:
Jun 27th, 2010 9:38 pm
good god, another poor soul going into life sci.
good god, another poor soul generalizing about the difficulty of a not so hard program.
:mad: :lol:
Dec 11, 2008
331 posts
66 upvotes
Ottawa
Huh, UofT's really changed things in the last 2-3 years! What's with splitting up bio & physics into 2 half courses? And this "BREADTH" thing? Weird.

As for the advice, it's hard to give without knowing what you're capable of handling. Almost everyone I knew in life sci had that schedule though (main 4 + elective) and we all handled it (with varying degrees of success though, I guess).

And I'm not sure if this will interfere with the electives, but I'd highly recommend psych! (Half year course--at least it was when I took it.) Almost everyone I knew LOVED it. Definitely my favourite course in first year. (But, maybe it's not your thing...so don't come after me if you end up hating it!)
Jun 26, 2010
2 posts
Markham
i took GLG110 and loved it.
got around 70% for the course and didnt even study hard for it.
you should give it a shot.
Apr 16, 2009
274 posts
Toronto
Recommend you to consider about degree distribution and BR (adding this year)
Sep 25, 2009
14 posts
Toronto
that's a very light schedule, engineers take 7 courses a semester
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7485 posts
329 upvotes
Canada
mango_cake wrote:
Jun 28th, 2010 2:06 am
Huh, UofT's really changed things in the last 2-3 years! What's with splitting up bio & physics into 2 half courses? And this "BREADTH" thing? Weird.

As for the advice, it's hard to give without knowing what you're capable of handling. Almost everyone I knew in life sci had that schedule though (main 4 + elective) and we all handled it (with varying degrees of success though, I guess).

And I'm not sure if this will interfere with the electives, but I'd highly recommend psych! (Half year course--at least it was when I took it.) Almost everyone I knew LOVED it. Definitely my favourite course in first year. (But, maybe it's not your thing...so don't come after me if you end up hating it!)
lol, I'm even more old school, psych used to be a full year when I was at U of T
He died for me, I live for him
youtube videos are not allowed in signatures (links or embeds)
Jul 12, 2009
341 posts
5 upvotes
trafficsigns wrote:
Jun 27th, 2010 6:04 am
Hi... so I'm a Life Sciences student entering University of Toronto St. George campus as a first year student this year... and need some help with course selection.

SO far i've decided to take

BIO120H, 130H (full year biology)
CHM138H, 139H (full year organic chemistry)
MAT135Y (full year calculus)
PHY131H + 132H (full year physics)

Would a schedule like this be hard???

AND I need to take 1.0 elective......
Which two from these courses are easier and would give high GPA...
GGR100 (introduction to physical geography)
GGR101 (ancient civilizations and their environment)
GLG102 (earth science)
GLG105 (evolution of earth)
GLG110 (introductory geology)
GLG130 (exploration of the solar system)

Thank you
I'd highly suggest not taking all 3 sci courses together in your first year. The total amount of hrs due to PRA and TUT is gonna be killer. You're better off taking 2 of BIO/CHM/PHY in addition to MAT and taking the remaining sci course in the summer. Find 2 electives that are just LEC and don't have PRA/TUT.
× < >