Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

(Coursera) Wharton MBA Foundation Series Online FREE or $49 with certificate

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2013 9:58 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes

(Coursera) Wharton MBA Foundation Series Online FREE or $49 with certificate

Deal Link:
Coursera link:
http://blog.coursera.org/post/608890882 ... ion-series

Slickdeals discussion:
http://slickdeals.net/f/6279196-free-wh ... ies-online
shada wrote:"Today, we’re excited to announce the addition of THE WHARTON MBA FOUNDATION SERIES, offered by The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, into Coursera’s course catalog.

Whether you’re looking to explore accounting or build a foundation for future academic or career pursuits, these courses, taught by faculty from one of the top business schools in the world, can provide you with the fundamentals of business and management.

The series kicks off with An Introduction to Financial Accounting on September 16th, followed by introductory courses on Operations Management, Marketing, and Corporate Finance through the fall. Join the more than 695,000 students from all around in the world who have already enrolled in a Wharton course, as well as explore business-related offerings from our other university partners.

As with other Coursera offerings, you can take all of the courses in the series for free. If you’re especially interested in putting them on your resume, you can earn a Verified Certificate that shows you’ve mastered each course’s material.

Check out the four exciting courses below. We look forward to seeing you in class this semester!"

For $49, you can get a "Verified Certificate".

http://blog.coursera.org/post/608890882 ... ion-series
29 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
2423 posts
1948 upvotes
Calgary
My REAL MBA is enough, thank you. Don't for a minute think that any employer will be impressed with some non-proctored unverified "Verified Certificate" bought for $49...
In your pants!
Nov 1, 2007
351 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
FatWallet wrote: My REAL MBA is enough, thank you. Don't for a minute think that any employer will be impressed with some non-proctored unverified "Verified Certificate" bought for $49...
Lucky you. Most employers are easily impressed by nonsense credentials, at least the HR dept.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5156 posts
616 upvotes
in a plane
FatWallet wrote: My REAL MBA is enough, thank you. Don't for a minute think that any employer will be impressed with some non-proctored unverified "Verified Certificate" bought for $49...
But it says Wharton on it! Plus, not everyone had an ... umm ... Fatwallet. :p
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler
Jan 30, 2008
474 posts
386 upvotes
That was a douche comment to make...

You realise most people take these courses due to self interest.. Not for job prospects.

Secondly the market is so saturated with MBAs that employers just put you in another pile..
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
imajin wrote: That was a douche comment to make...

You realise most people take these courses due to self interest.. Not for job prospects.

Secondly the market is so saturated with MBAs that employers just put you in another pile..
+1
They're good refresher courses for me as well. I'm not going for any certificate though.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
aviador wrote: Currently, coursera courses are extremely dumbed down. Their content initially mirrored their host universities classroom courses but now not. Their videos now take 3 or 4 as much time to explain half what they usually explained in 1 unit time, the examples and hws are way to simple and easy. Only a course 100% mirroring an actual class is worth auditing. Why would someone pay for a certificate that nobody would recognize as an industry or academic standard or accept as a valid credential towards a recognized degree is beyond my comprehension.
Some of us just want to go through the courses without needing for certification. We already have decent paying jobs, thank you.
FatWallet wrote: Coursera has made $1 Million so far on these mostly unrecognized "certificates." It's a money machine for the US university industry. If you do this for personal knowledge and fulfillment, keep your wallet in your pocket.

http://www.skilledup.com/blog/coursera- ... -it-worth/
The founder doesn't even have a MBA! :)
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Why is this in entertainment section? Education is the most crucial part of your life, the great Lenin would be ashamed lol :D
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
aviador wrote: Then why do you include "$49 with certificate" in the title as if it were the best deal of the year? :facepalm:
So I can post in the Hot Deals section? :facepalm: x 1,000,000

Did you even try to think before posting your comment?
andriykoua wrote: Why is this in entertainment section? Education is the most crucial part of your life, the great Lenin would be ashamed lol :D
There is no Education section. The categories must have been an RFD management afterthought.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3160 posts
1856 upvotes
Kingston
FatWallet wrote: Coursera has made $1 Million so far on these mostly unrecognized "certificates." It's a money machine for the US university industry. If you do this for personal knowledge and fulfillment, keep your wallet in your pocket.

http://www.skilledup.com/blog/coursera- ... -it-worth/
Ironic that MBAs are really nothing more than money making schemes for Universities these days.
Nov 7, 2012
242 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
Did you just copy and paste the comments of the other guy (including formatting) from Slickdeals? Just like that?

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.p ... ostcount=7
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.p ... ostcount=9
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
malik1234 wrote: Did you just copy and paste the comments of the other guy (including formatting) from Slickdeals? Just like that?

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.p ... ostcount=7
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.p ... ostcount=9
Wow. Copied the statement verbatim. Thanks for the laugh. :)

I'd have more respect for those MBA's (or even those without one) who are not so condescending/arrogant.
May 19, 2003
509 posts
483 upvotes
JC69 wrote: Ironic that MBAs are really nothing more than money making schemes for Universities these days.
Ironic that you believe your statement only applies to MBAs. :facepalm:
Sep 4, 2011
158 posts
235 upvotes
Vancouver
skyway wrote: Ironic that you believe your statement only applies to MBAs. :facepalm:
I always think of MBAs are cash-grab degrees, especially for lesser known universities. Post-graduate engineering/science degrees are usually cheaper than MBAs. You also don't get research stipend from MBA programs afaik.

MBAs from top top business schools like Wharton are worth it even though they're REALLY, REALLY expensive, but that's where you get connected to future CEOs of FORTUNE 500 companies. And in business, connection/network means everything.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3160 posts
1856 upvotes
Kingston
skyway wrote: Ironic that you believe your statement only applies to MBAs. :facepalm:
..maybe other courses then like say......correct English usage and comprehension?
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2721 posts
1788 upvotes
Markham
ShyGrizzly wrote: I always think of MBAs are cash-grab degrees, especially for lesser known universities. Post-graduate engineering/science degrees are usually cheaper than MBAs. You also don't get research stipend from MBA programs afaik.

MBAs from top top business schools like Wharton are worth it even though they're REALLY, REALLY expensive, but that's where you get connected to future CEOs of FORTUNE 500 companies. And in business, connection/network means everything.
There are cash grabs courses from every university and I am not going to name the universities because people will be offended. You can actually get a Doctorate in Bra Making and B.A. in Leisure in other countries.. just to give you some examples. There was even a Bachelor course in Starcraft. Personally I don't find these degrees useful but doesn't mean other people have the same opinion. If we confine learning to only the "useful" courses, then you can argue what is the point in art degrees etc... lets not go there..

There are people who got an MBA but can't make use of it... there are also others who don't have an MBA that became billionaires.. Most of the executives I know have an MBA from somewhere. or CA... etc.. with the increase in the amount of people who graduate every year, a bachelor becomes the new high school. Having a master of any kind in whatever field helps you stand out. However, it still depends on your work experience, brag book, street smart etc etc..

As to whether these courses are worth taking, for those who do not have an MBA.. i think taking these courses here and there can demonstrate to employers that you are taking a proactive approach in your career and try to learn/gain more knowledge on your spare time to do your job. Willingness to improve/develop yourself is a key trait many employers look for. Showing to employer is not a problem, but I wouldn't print this certificate and tell the employee it is exact same as the MBA then bash people that finish MBA in traditional setting.

At the end of the day, it is what you do with it that is the most important. I know people with 2 bachelors degree, 1 master, 1 PhD.. been in school for probably 20 years and still not doing so well.. school is not everything but you can't discredit it either

The more you know, the more you realize that there are more you do not know. Even if you already have an MBA, I wouldn't mind attending these classes just to gain a different perspective. Being close minded doesn't serve you any good in the business environment
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3160 posts
1856 upvotes
Kingston
^ Many of the executives may well have been executives while taking an MBA. The promise of riches in return for an expensive certificate is not what it used to be anymore but universities won't advertise that fact.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)